Author Topic: Walking Fast  (Read 3884 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Walking Fast
« on: February 07, 2009, 11:18:03 pm »
Someone the other day on a post somewhere said something about walking fast ... I can't find the post
or remember who and I am almost thinking I imagined it ...or losing my marbles ... but have a question
regardless

I have been told lately that I walk too fast... at school we will be moving down the hall and my friend will be
huffing and puffing behind me ... in the morning I move at a regular pace ... as the day wears on if I have
been there long enough to get tired , I walk faster...if I slow down I wobble more ... I didn't really notice
I was doing this til it was pointed out to me .... I try to slow down but if tired I walk steadier at a faster pace ...

kinda reminds me of riding a bike ... you know how the slower you go the harder it is to balance ??? that is how
I feel... only issue is I am dizzier when I do stop...I come to a stop and stand in place weaving for 20-30 seconds
getting myself upright and standing still...

thoughts ???
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

texsooner

Re: Walking Fast
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 10:22:22 am »
Soundy, you're not losing your marbles(at least not from what you posted here :)). I can relate. I've mentioned it before that I can walk fast and run a straight line much easier than doing it with a normal or slow walk. Many times after I finish a run or a bike ride...I'll go to a slow walk and look/feel like a stumbling drunk. I never noticed this until after my surgery. Guess that means my balance is not perfect....it's just part of the new normal for me.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

wcrimi

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 11:59:29 am »
This is pretty amazing because with me it's the opposite.

The more and faster the motion, the dizzier and more wonky-headed I get.  I noticed that I walk much faster outside than in the house and that's why I tend to feel worse outside.

(by the way, it may have been me that posted about walking fast)
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Zanybrainy

• Surgery 01/24/05 4.0cm, Colorado Springs, CO Retro
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 05:20:24 pm »
Funny you should say you walk steadier when you walk faster.  When I was trying to breakout of the hospital after surgery (almost 3 week stay), I was trying to impress my doctor so that he would send me home.  He asked me to walk on my own, I proudly took off race walking and the nurses were shouting "you go girl". I was proudly waiting for an early release, when he kind of smuggly said "now go slow". Needles to say the aisles were not quite wide enough, as I kept bouncing from one to the other. Although I am very thankful that he wanted me to have the best recovery possible,  it still makes me mad he was right.  Maybe we should start an Acoustic neuroma race walking club.  As long as we can laugh at ourselves, we are OK!!!!
Blessings, Cath
Retrosigmoid, January 24, 2005
4 cm "stuck" to brainstem
Memorial Hospital, Colorado Springs

wcrimi

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 06:11:40 pm »
Funny you should say you walk steadier when you walk faster.  When I was trying to breakout of the hospital after surgery (almost 3 week stay), I was trying to impress my doctor so that he would send me home.  He asked me to walk on my own, I proudly took off race walking and the nurses were shouting "you go girl". I was proudly waiting for an early release, when he kind of smuggly said "now go slow". Needles to say the aisles were not quite wide enough, as I kept bouncing from one to the other. Although I am very thankful that he wanted me to have the best recovery possible,  it still makes me mad he was right.  Maybe we should start an Acoustic neuroma race walking club.  As long as we can laugh at ourselves, we are OK!!!!
Blessings, Cath

I see that you had surgery over 4 years ago.  Did your balance eventually recover to a reasonable level?

1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Zanybrainy

• Surgery 01/24/05 4.0cm, Colorado Springs, CO Retro
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 10:19:41 am »
My balance is very good.  Really it is better now than before surgery.  I really don't have any problem unless I do something out of the ordinary.  Walking, walking and more walking definitely helps. I also recently got a Total body works 5000 (It is a knockoff of the Chuck Norris Total Body Gym), It was around $100 and it has really increased my leg and core strength which has also helped my balance. Have you had balance therapy.Cath

Retrosigmoid, January 24, 2005
4 cm "stuck" to brainstem
Memorial Hospital, Colorado Springs

wcrimi

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 10:59:00 am »
Cath,

I do some physical therapy every day on my own.  My balance is improving very slowly (I had perfect balance pre op).  The major issue for me now is dizziness when I walk. I'm in no danger of falling, but I do have some dizziness 100% of the time when in motion.  I'm hoping that will diminish as time passes. I'm only 4 months post op. AS the weather gets better in NYC, I plan to step up the activity level.

Thanks

Wayne

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 10:05:29 pm »
I am glad I am not the only one that is steadier at a faster pace ... now if I could get the
wobbling when I stop moving under control...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 12:38:41 am »
Hi Soundy:   I walk faster also to keep my balance, makes sense to me ! . .
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 01:39:58 pm »
Soundy ~

I've always walked fast and I didn't slow down much after surgery.  I can assume that walking faster does help stability but because my walking pace has never changed much, I can't prove it, although the theory makes sense. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.