Author Topic: New issue.......Thyroid  (Read 7661 times)

lori67

Re: New issue.......Thyroid
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 11:01:50 am »
I have been taking Synthroid for almost 19 years, with no side effects.  I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism about 21 years ago, for which I had radioactive Iodine treatment (and I have a feeling that had something to do with the beginning of my AN).

I don't consider my thyroid issues too big a deal - it's one tiny pill a day, and once you get the dose regulated, I only have a blood test once a year.  At this point, I can usually tell when the dose needs to be adjusted because I feel tired, emotional and just sluggish.  When the dose is right, I feel great.

I don't think there's a link between the AN and the thyroid issues - there are so many people who have low thyroid function and so few who have AN's.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 02:03:51 pm »
How ironic that this topic has appeared -- I took my very first synthroid pill this morning, following a diagnosis this week of mild hypothyroidism. My TSH numbers were on the slightly high side in blood work from last November as well as this past month, and I've been tired and feeling somewhat sluggish for a while. My doctor agreed with me when I told him that I didn't think this recent fatigue could be blamed on my January 2008 AN surgery!!!

And, along with Lori, I don't think there's a link between our ANs and these thyroid issues. My older sister, who's been on Synthroid for several years, said that she'd read somewhere that Synthroid is one of the most widely prescribed drugs on the market. Many, many people have thyroid problems.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Desilu

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 01:49:01 am »
Hi All,

I am amazed that many of us have thyroid issues. I was diagnosed with thyroid nodules and was put on synthroid back in 1993. My AN did not appear until around 1999 but I didn't have it removed until 2005. As everyone has already stated, once your doseage is regulated, it's just remembering to takie one pill a day. Sorry, I am so late posting. My computer crashed, even the Geeks could not help me. I lost all of my AN contacts, addresses, pics, everything. But as you can see, I am up and running with a new computer and trying to catch up with the news. Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

JudyT

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 09:40:26 am »
Hi all.....I went to the Endocrinologist this past week and she said the dosage was evidently to high. She cut it in half and told me to cut that in half and take part in the am and part in the pm. My skin has been sooo dry and flakey.....even with all the moistuizer I use. She said my test results were way out of line and my body is screaming for thyroid. So far so good and energy is picking up, skin has already showed improvement. I must go back in August for another blood panel. I am very pleased with my visit to her. Thanks for all the info.........

Judy

lori67

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 01:25:13 pm »
Judy,

Glad it went well!  Once you get that dose just right, you'll feel like a million bucks!   ;D

Ann, glad you're up and running.  That's not a good thing when the Geeks can't even fix your problem!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JudyT

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 09:45:18 am »
Hi everyone........I tried endocrinologist's advice....just got sicker.........nausea, sad/tears....depression/very negative attitude........Just plain miserable. Tried reducing dosage....didn't help. I had planned a trip to NY and Conn for July 2....doubtful I could go. I stopped taking meds 7/2....now each day has gotten so much better. I flew out on the 2nd as planned but was very concerned. I had a wonderful time and am at home now with a whole new attitude......none of the symptom's mentioned and back into some redecorating etc. A bit "jet-laggy" otherwise very good. I am interested in Mickey's natural remedy....I am going to e-mail doctors about this latest "sick" episode. This is the third time this has occurred for me and Synthroid is not working for me again. Many questions buzzing my head.
Judy

Lyssa

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 09:54:19 am »
My mom was diagnosed as hypothyroid 15 yrs ago, so she had my sister and I tested. I am 26 and have been taking low dosage of synthroid since I was 12. I never even really think of it affecting me, just a little pill every morning and bloodwork when I go for my annual physical, my dosage hasn't changed in 14 years. Last year I got into the habit of taking it at night, I don't know why... I was having an awful time trying to fall asleep and this had never been an issue. Once I started taking it first thing in the morning again my sleeping pattern was back on track.

I'm interested in learning more about natural treatment, actually I didn't know there was a way to treat it naturally as I've been taking synthroid since I was a kid... something I will definitely be looking in to.

I don't really think that there is a link between thryroid irregularities and ANs because SO many people have thyroid problems, be it hypo or hyper and only the lucky ones seem to get AN's  :D
26 yrs old.
Diagnosed Oct. 2008 with 2cm right-sided AN
Translab surgery Feb. 9/09 at Sunnybrook in Toronto
SSD & right-sided facial paralysis, nerve still intact and fingers crossed :D