Author Topic: New issue.......Thyroid  (Read 7662 times)

JudyT

New issue.......Thyroid
« on: June 15, 2009, 12:01:17 pm »
I was recently diagnosed with low thyroid....must take med daily. Has anybody been diagnosed with this....is it just one more issue to deal with or just coincidence? Soooo many meds to take.....now more??? I am 4 years out from CK@ Stanford and already have several issues to deal with.....NOT happy!!!!
Judy

Vivian B.

Re: New issue.......Thyroid
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 12:48:40 pm »
Hi Judy,

Sorry you have to deal with this. I have not heard about any relation with ANs and other conditions such as thyroid issues. The doctors that I saw including oncologist did not mention new conditions developing other than the usual risks of radiation which is supposedly very small. Maybe it's just a coincidence. Hopefully some other members can provide you with more info.

Vivian 
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 01:02:55 pm »
Judy~
I believe that there are several of us on here that are on thyroid medicine - I don't know if there is a anything tying the two together.  The older I get, the more I realize how many people (mostly women) have thyroid issues!  For me, my mom and grandmother both had thyroid growths so I was always feeling my throat because I knew it was hereditary.  I certainly wasn't surprised when I found growths.  I actually had my whole thyroid removed 3 years ago - as far as surgeries go (& I have had my share!), it is the one I would recommend to friends!  ;D  I was up at the pool with my 3 girlies and then at church that night one week after I had surgery!  I went ahead & had then remove it because I knew it was pretty inevitable and we figured that I would bounce back from surgery better at 35 than 45 or 55!!  Bet that didn't really answer your question, but that is my experience!

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 03:12:30 pm »
Judy ~

I'm sorry to learn of this latest medical problem you have to deal with (thyroid). 

To my admittedly limited knowledge (I'm not a doctor) there is no direct relation between an acoustic neuroma and thyroid problems.  However, From the home page of this website http://www.anausa.org/what_is_an.html:

One study has shown a relationship of acoustic neuromas to prior exposure to head and neck radiation, and a concomitant history of having had a parathyroid adenoma (tumor found in proximity to the thyroid gland controlling calcium metabolism).  Apparenty, an acoustic neuroma follows thyroid issues, not the other way around.

Unfortunately, I believe that your thyroid problem may simply be, as you stated, "just one more issue to deal with" rather than a direct relation your AN.  I trust the medication you're taking will alleviate your problem.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 03:17:48 pm »
Judy ~

I'm sorry to learn of this latest medical problem you have to deal with (thyroid). 

To my admittedly limited knowledge (I'm not a doctor) there is no direct relation between an acoustic neuroma and thyroid problems.  However, From the home page of this website http://www.anausa.org/what_is_an.html:

One study has shown a relationship of acoustic neuromas to prior exposure to head and neck radiation, and a concomitant history of having had a parathyroid adenoma (tumor found in proximity to the thyroid gland controlling calcium metabolism).  Apparenty, an acoustic neuroma follows thyroid issues, not the other way around.

Unfortunately, I believe that your thyroid problem may simply be, as you stated, "just one more issue to deal with" rather than a direct relation your AN.  I trust the medication you're taking will alleviate your problem.

Jim

Jim,

VERY interesting and thank you for sharing the info from the website! I find it highly interesting... as back in 1998, I had a benign growth on the left side of my thyroid, which was surgically removed...  AN discovered in 2005.

very interesting... thank you!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 03:31:24 pm »

Judy .....

For what it's worth ...... When I was in junior high (many, many years ago  ;D) I had radium treatments following the removal of tonsils and adenoids ..... no one knew at the time the risks involved!  When I was in my early 20s I was diagnosed with low thyroid function and took Synthroid for probably 15 years ..... then I became hyperthyroid and my GP at the time discontinued it.  My AN was not diagnosed until nearly 30 years later.  I have had normal thyroid function tests ever since I stopped taking Synthroid and my body adjusted to it.  Now, with new information regarding childhood radiation exposure to the head/neck, I am checked regularly for any growths on the thyroid ..... so far negative.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 03:36:29 pm »
Alot of  people have thyroid problems.  A thyroid med was one that many of the patients we got in the hospital when I was working was on.       Not all were real old either.                Makes one wonder in the olden days if people were ill or died at an early age due to thyroid problems or what is going on in the environment to cause now it now in more people.      I have had kind of an enlarged one for years but labs are ok.
                                                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Mickey

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 04:15:56 pm »
Very interesting! I`ve been dionosed with a slight thyroid problem. I`ve tried kelp with some coconut oil which actually seemed to bring my level back to normal. Thats where it stands at the moment. Mickey

JudyT

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 05:19:08 pm »
Thanks all.......He also prescribed Vitamin D once a week to help in calcium deficiency. I have had poor abilty to absorb calcium since teenager. I have tried to take Levithroid 2 times previously and it made me depressed....feel wierd....lots of tears. Today only second day, I am depressed to tears,elevated BP, light headedness, anxiety....must sit quietly.....headache etc. jittery. Doesn't make sense to me. I can't serparate An issues from what might be new.
Judy

Mickey

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 07:58:44 am »
Judy I believe I tried the same medicine for thyroid. It didn`t agree with me and thats when I went to the natural method which I`ve been on ever since with good results. Mickey

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 11:21:14 am »
I've been taking L-thyroxine for over a year now - was dx. with hypothyroid (this is apparently common in women who are going through menapause).  I'm glad I haven't had any side effects to it.
I remember several years back we had a patient who was extremely depressed - seems he forgot to mention he stopped taking his synthroid.  His TSH was really high.  Depression is a symptom of hypothyroid, & it can get really bad depending on the levels.
Once he got back on the Synthroid (& after a few weeks), his depression was gone.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

salamander

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 11:52:44 am »
I was diagnosed 2 years ago with Hypo-Thyroidism, and take Synthroid and Cytomel daily.  My AN was diagnosed about a year after that. 

I was hoping that after my brain surgery, it would prove to be linked and would test more normal in the future.  My tumor was compressing my brain stem so I have wondered. 

I haven't had it tested yet, but might this summer to see where I am now. 

Samantha
2.9 cm right side AN;
Retrosigmoid/Sub-occipital surgery 11/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus), facial weakness, dry eye, eye weight, headaches.
Some movement of face at 7 months

marie

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 12:01:50 pm »
Synthetic thyroid meds did not work for me.  I have been using Armour Thyroid for years and it is helping .
surgeries : back of head 1967,1987
               translab 1991
               bone reduction 2002
               7/12  1968
               temporalis transplant  1969

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 01:06:35 pm »
I checked into Armour as I tend to like more "natural" things but they said it was a lot harder to regulate & sometimes you have to come in a lot more frequently w/ it. I decided I would stay on the Synthroid for now - I don't have a lot of extra time to go to the Dr or for "emotional" issues - I  have about all I can handle chasing after 3 girlies! ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

JudyT

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 09:33:46 am »
I went for doctor consult yesterday...he suggested I take 1/4 pill for a month then progressively increase the dosage. He reminded me thyroid can present many physical/mental issues. Some similar to An issues. I asked for a referral to an Endocrinologist...got it for next Wednesday. Would prefer to take natural remedy if there is one. Does anybody know of one?

Judy