Author Topic: And now the bills arrive....  (Read 7455 times)

Lorenzo

Re: And now the bills arrive....
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 05:36:47 am »
Gulp, I do not know how anybody can face bills like that! Am I glad to have a decent insurance company that pays for most things. Except, CK in the US, and at Stanford no less!! They didn't realise I wasn't kidding.

ha! I had to pay Stanford for CK upfront. But then, I guess I was coming from out of continent so... Mind you, they gave me a hefty discount, considering what you people had to pay! My CK was nowhere near those kind of figures. Thankfully, or I'd have to sell the house, not just borrow for an 'extension'. Still, all in all, in my case, I was happy. I only have the one brain, so only the best will do. I was fortunate to be able to find a way, and to have a great bank manager.

Ciao, Lorenzo :)
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

Lorenzo

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 05:38:54 am »
(oh look, I just turned full member again!)  lol
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 06:28:29 am »
(oh look, I just turned full member again!)  lol
well, I, for one,  like you as a full member! Congrats!  :-*
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 04:30:04 pm »
My hospital bill was around $60,000. and the (total) doctor bills came to about $30,000.  MRI scans and so on added another $10,000. to the total so I usually say that my AN cost about $100,000. in all.  My medical insurance paid almost all of it.  I paid about $3,000. 'out-of-pocket' for co-pays and deductibles.  I'm not complaining.  My medical insurance (including dental coverage) costs around $2500. per year.  It looks like a bargain, now.

If you don't have medical insurance coverage, you are personally liable for the costs.  This should not be surprising.  Nothing is free, especially expensive medical care by highly-trained doctors and nurses as well as the use of the facilities of a modern hospital, which can cost millions to establish.  Were I not insured, I would either mortgage my home, as 'OMG16' did or, if absolutely necessary, file for bankruptcy based on insurmountable, unforeseen medical bills.  Those with 'government' insurance, as in Canada, usually pay higher taxes to the government (federal and provincial or territorial combined) which often equals (or sometimes exceeds) what the privately (employer-based) insured U.S. patient pays for his or her medical coverage, all of which tends to obscure the real cost for the coverage to the Canadian patient that 'never receives a bill'. 

In the U.S., there are many state-specific programs for helping with unexpected medical expenses, however, they are usually restricted to the statistically poor and not available to the average, employed person or family who, it is assumed, has other resources available (insurance and/or credit) to help them pay for their care.  This is why it is imperative to at least carry basic medical/health insurance, if possible.  Those who do not, especially if employed, are probably going to end up filing for bankruptcy if they are struck with a medical emergency, such as a previously-undetected acoustic neuroma tumor.   At least they have that unpalatable option available.  No one wants to be burdened with insurmountable debt or be sued by a hospital or physician for debts they cannot possibly pay.  Bankruptcy may be anathema to most of us but it must be a welcome option if you're uninsured and have a six-figure medical bill confronting you. 

No matter where you live, health care, especially for something relatively complicated, such as AN surgery, is going to be expensive.  Because 100 years ago health care was primitive and life expectancy was not much over 50 years, I prefer to be living in the west in 2008 and have the advantage of excellent medical care, at a price - the annual medical insurance premium plus deductibles and co-pays - that I can afford. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

OMG16

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 07:48:49 pm »
We do have great medical coverage for average things.  I think allot of you know that their networks are lacking when it comes to qualified Neurosurgeons.  So we went out of network and then it is a whole different story.  I do not know how the states medicaid system thinks that you can afford medical care if it is more than you even make in a year.  I am just thankful that we were able to use our house to pay for this.  I think Capt Deb know how it is when your prescriptions can wipe you out just our 20% was over $500 a month and some of the medication is not formulary and you have to pay for all of it.  Thank goodness he is now on SSDI and the state does cover his medical and prescription costs that are not covered by our insurance as we do not have any equity left to take out.  I think it would be better if I did not have to work so that I could spend my days helping him with schooling or job training and some sort of social life.  However this is our life now and I have to do what I have to do and just am so grateful that we had the choice.  :-[ 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

cecile k

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 10:57:28 pm »
Wow, I can't imagine the trauma of having to deal with insurance companies! Had my surgery in Vancouver BC, stayed two weeks in hospital and don't have a clue what this all cost....including all the follow up MRIs.

Marie in CA

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 10:45:14 am »
Well the actual bill from the hospital finally made through all process and arrived yesterday:

$86,191.55: Total Costs
$28,988.20: Insurance Paid
$57,128.35: Insurance Adjustments

$75.00  My bill

Of course this is only the hospital part.  Still waiting on the doctor's chunk,

Patch

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 08:28:24 pm »
Hi Marie

Looks like my cost, $ 78110, insurance picked it all up thank goodness. It pays to have good insurance. I pay $ 80.00 per month for family plan through Anthem. Thats a small price to pay for something major.

Mark
Radiation 7/07 for 17mm AN, Had my 2 year MRI 07/09, An now 13mm.