Author Topic: Does this change your personality  (Read 3288 times)

godftamm

Does this change your personality
« on: November 17, 2011, 01:42:37 am »
I've been reading all the discussion for answers to my questions. Does your personality change after surgery? I was in an accident in 1991 and it change who I was as a person. Will this happen again. 

TP

Re: Does this change your personality
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 07:05:20 am »
I am glad you are reading the different topics and gaining some understanding on what folks have done to cope and heal thru recovery.

In my particular situation my personality has changed somewhat. I was a very strong A personality type prior to my AN surgery and never had a problem getting in front of large groups talking or participating in music/acting etc. Since my AN was removed I don't feel comfortable getting in front of large groups. I have facial paralysis and eye issues. I have found since I have SSD I also do not like to be in large groups with loud noises. So...it could be that I am getting older and have changed my ways but I have a feeling it is because I prefer not to be in the limelight and have become very happy and content to be less of a type A personality type!

However, I do think there are a lot of factors to consider and not everyone is the same. Having an AN or having one removed, should not hold you back and strong mental toughness will get you thru most everything. Hang in there!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:29:46 pm »
godftamm ~

Major surgery such as AN removal will usually have some effect on one's personality for a host of reasons, including the realization of one's mortality and the fragility of good health, as well as being forced to re-define what constitutes 'normal'.  Obviously, post-op complications will usually have a negative impact on the AN surgery patient's outlook.  One has less patience with the trivial and, in my case, little patience with the rate of recovery (and mine was fairly rapid).  We usually tend to develop greater empathy for others with physical problems after going through AN surgery.  I know that I did.  Although there probably are no organic changes, the fact that the surgery involves opening up a portion of your skull, exposing the brain and, in my case, having the brain stem moved (slightly) a case could likely be made that personality changes are a possibility.  However, although I'm not a doctor, I believe that any personality changes post-AN surgery would be based mostly on one's mental state.  My lack of patience is legendary in my family so, it's not surprising that I was very agitated by the fact that I did not get back to 'normal' within a week of my surgery.  I was very grouchy, even as my recovery steadily progressed, pushed hard by my strong desire to 'get my life back'.  My wife was about fed up with my now-cantankerous disposition but fortunately, as my recovery became evident, I slowly regained by usual equanimity and within a few months my normally charming personality had returned.  ;)  As proof, I'm still happily married.

My point here being that although you may see some personality changes post-op, they are certainly not a guarantee and if they occur, would likely be both situational and temporary.  I should add that going into the surgery with a positive (but realistic) mind-set is a very good way to approach it.  That worked very well for me.  I'm sure that it helped me re-adjust as I recovered. 

Jim 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 05:12:36 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 05:07:50 pm »
Only changes I've experienced is having a new perspective on lots of things in my life - afterall I could have been "gifted" with a terminal illness or a malignant tumor instead of a benign one.

I've learned not to take things for granted and I'll be eternally grateful for the skills and compassion of my two excellent surgeons.

I've also been "paying it forward" ever since by giving back to others in many ways.

My AN definitely had an affect on my personality, but it was a positive one.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

alabamajane

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 10:08:45 am »
I have to agree with Jim, as usual, good advice.. It will probably change your personality some at least to begin with. I just had my surgery Oct 27th so am about 4 weeks out and I am definitely having personality issues,, I had my facial nerve severed so have facial paralysis and eye focus issues although that is getting better,, but I am not as eager to get in public as I once was, but suspect that will change some as things get better,, the eye issues keep me from seeing well to my right and can  not just glance at something off that side without moving entire head,, also the SSD, ,deafness,, is really hard to adjust to at least now.. I did go out to eat this weekend in a restaurant, but it was kinda difficult, hubby insisted I try,,thankfully we had a table in the back so I could face the wall,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dr told me to get out and live life and realize that I will not always be "this way",, things will get better in a few months.. so I am trying. but you don't feel like yourself,, cause in my case anyway,, I am NOT exactly my old self, but I must move forward accepting who I am now and will be in the next few months...patience is a virtue that I am having to develop much more of.. I also agree that "things" do not matter like they used to,, and seeing people laugh and be "normal" is really hard right now, although I am sure that too will get better,, but it reminds you of what you don't have anymore,,yes  I am glad it was not cancer and things are not really that bad,, but in reality it is still hard to get used to the "new" me,, sorry for the venting, and don't mean to sound so negative, but this is how I feel right now just 4 weeks out,, I am hoping 4 mos. out will be MUCH better,!! good luck,,
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26