Author Topic: baha implant complications  (Read 7519 times)

mellowrama

baha implant complications
« on: December 10, 2010, 01:38:16 pm »
Hello everyone - its been a while since I've posted.

I had BAHA surgery Nov 2009, unfortunately, the implant location has been an ongoing issue with pain and complications.  What use I did get to use the device was good. 

Besides a sore, crusty area around the implant , I've had a staph infection, the post removed (so that the site can heal) and recently 3 epdiermoid cysts removed.  I had gone to my Otolaryngologist Dr. Baker in OKC numerouos times with complaints, at  which he always replied it looked normal.  One time he paused (while examining my head) to answer his cell phone! The next visit was my last and again, he said it looked fine.  A few weeks later my dermatologist confirmed I had a staph infection, several cysts needing excision and recommended I see someone new about the post issues.   Then I went to a different Otolaryngologist (Dr. Horn in ABQ).  I also contact Dr. Friedman at House.  They both immediately recommended that a longer post...and Dr. Horn said it was a known issue "skin sagging" where the de-fleshed area around the post is off and wanted to do more surgery above the post to fix the issue.  I just had him take it out - so that it could heal as I'm concerned about making the area worse! 

I'm really frustrated with Dr. Baker's lack of response in OKC, particulary,  after suffering for a year in pain and not being able to use the BAHA.  I hope to help prevent others from going thru the same rigmarole...I did contact Cochlear and let them know of the situation.  They're pausing the warrenty for the BAHA device until I can use it.  Now I'm seeking feedback for if I should do anything about the treatment via Dr. Baker, if others have had similair issues with thier implant (all I knew prior was all good), and potentially might be selling the baha...sad to do so but not optimistic about being able to use it again.
Thanks, mel
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

annamaria

Re: baha implant complications
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 02:16:30 pm »
We all get the situation where the doctor interupts the visit to take a cell call.  How about if we adopt the protocol (I'm making a suggestion here) to tell the doctor upfront (or tell the receptionist) that if the doctor takes a cell call during your visit that you won't pay for the visit!

Annamaria

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 02:55:18 pm »
Melinda ~

I'm so sorry to learn about your problems with your BAHA and specifically Dr. Baker's cavalier attitude toward your implant complications and his downnright rudeness in taking a cell phone call during your appointment, demonstrating his lack of respect for his patient (you).  You always have the option of filing a complaint against this arrogant and apparently none-too observant doctor with the state medical board but don't expect much from that.  These boards are usually comprised of physicians and they tend to 'circle the wagons' around their brethren.  I doubt a civil suit is feasible because a doctor's arrogance and lack of caring is not necessarily actionable unless you suffered grievous medical issues that can be directly linked to his negligence.  That is an issue to be taken up with an attorney that specializes in these kinds of malpractice cases.  As you know, the vast majority of BAHA users do well so your case is an anomaly but none the less vexing and frustrating for you, I know.  I trust that the implant site will heal normally and that you can eventually have a new implant and get to use your BAHA.  Meanwhile, thanks for the update. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 09:58:35 pm »
Melinda,
Yes, so frustrating for you, and the doctor appears very nonchalant in the whole thing >:(, which makes you more angry I'm sure.
I had my post removed after my original brain surgery, because it became infected a lot and wasn't really helping.
I have since gotten a new one (ponto by oticon) which seems to be working-so far, so good.  So let it heal up and give it a try again. No rush....... ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty