Author Topic: Newbie at 3.5 weeks postop  (Read 7488 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
Re: Newbie at 3.5 weeks postop
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 06:56:08 pm »
Welcome Nicole.
You sound great for 3 weeks post op. It is nice to have family that loves and cares for you. THAT will make the difference.
We are here for you and some have experienced just what you are experiencing. Ask lots of questions and creep through old threads, there is lots of valuable information. No sense reinventing the wheel.
AN's suck! Glad you found us!
Hugs
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

moe

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 09:49:24 pm »
Wow Nicole,
I just browsed your blog and me oh my what a ride you have been on! Yikes. I love your sense of humor through all of this.

I too am a nurse. Which is not a good thing! Trying to diagnose everything while you are slipping in and out of reality! The funniest was when you grabbed a stethoscope to listen to your lungs because you thought you were drowning. Turned out just to be atelectasis. Whew......what a relief. We always fear the worst...

I wanted to know what medicine I was getting in the ICU, what were they doing, etc....They probably weren't used to that!

Anyway, you are doing incredibly well for 3.5 weeks post op and have a can do attitude which is great.

With the facial paralysis, this is one of those things that people have a really hard time with. It has been recommended not to do anything for at least 6 months, maybe longer: if you feel inclined to start vigorous PT on the face or nerve stimulation.....DON"t do it. Let nature take its course. You will hopefully and most likely see small improvements. Wrinkles, twitches, movements will come back. Lots of good success stories of the face returning with time. That is so hard though. Because you are young and you are a nurse. You don't want your patients looking at you and wondering, "Did my nurse have a stroke?" "I want a different nurse!"

Unfortunately my face nerve was cut so I am in a different league. It is a slow process and continues to tweek along.

As far as work goes, take care of your body and your kiddies. Don't stress the returning at 2 months. If you do that's great, but you have been through a heck of a lot and your body really needs time to heal.How long was your surgery?

Keep up the great attitude and let us know how things continue.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 07:45:04 am »
Moe,
Glad to meet another nurse! That "Did my nurse just have a stroke?" thing is one of my biggest fears. I had already checked with my manager pre-op to see if I could wear scrub caps to cover the scar, but didn't think what I'd do with my face! haha. Maybe they'll keep me in the nursery - the babies won't mind. :)
My surgery was 10 hours. The only reason I say go back at two months is that's what my doctor's signed me out for and I'm the only one with a money-making (and insurance carrying) job right now. :(
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 11:45:22 am »
Hi Nicole and welcome. Shame on me for being late in my "welcome" but glad to see you here. I see you have met some of the gang and hoping they are on good behaviour (we have some here that like to drop their angelic halo's..... ;) ).

What a ride you have had and glad to have you here posting so soon after your surgery.  Lots of info, support, hugglez and yes, bad jokes (as needed) around here but.... most of all... I have to say, there is a truly, wonderful group of folks here that truly do understand what it is to walk in AN shoes.  Looking forward to your updates and participation here.

Again, welcome.  Hang in there... wellness wishes to you... and good to have you here.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

moe

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 09:47:05 pm »
. The only reason I say go back at two months is that's what my doctor's signed me out for and I'm the only one with a money-making (and insurance carrying) job right now. :(

Oh that does put the pressure on you to get back to work. I'm sorry to hear that. But you're a fighter, you just have to take it easy. I know hospital nursing is NOT easy. I do home health part time, so I have a leisurely schedule.
(paperwork sucks big time though).
Nursery might not be a bad idea ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Lyssa

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 10:01:56 am »
Nicole, I just took a look at your blog and you look awesome!! Way to keep a positive attitude and you sound like you're doing really well for being only 1 month post-op.  I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law, and your diagnosis must've been very scary for you and your fam.

I had (have) total right-sided facial paralysis from my translab in Feb. 09. It was literally 6 months, almost to the day actually, before I saw any movement whatsoever. Then I was staring in the mirror one night waiting for my husband to move out of the way of sink, and noticed the corner of my mouth moving a tiny wee bit. Over the last two months things have improved a ton. I just saw my surgeon on Wed. and he was very pleased. It may feel like things are taking a long time, but I think part of this whole experience for me was to learn patience, b/c I was the most impatient person in the world before all this!

Keep up with your amazing positive attitude and give yourself time to get better :)
26 yrs old.
Diagnosed Oct. 2008 with 2cm right-sided AN
Translab surgery Feb. 9/09 at Sunnybrook in Toronto
SSD & right-sided facial paralysis, nerve still intact and fingers crossed :D

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 08:34:10 am »
Lyssa,
I'm not known for my patience, either.  :P
That's great that you're having improvement and I hope it keeps up for you!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

Vivian B.

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 04:46:52 pm »
Hi Nicole,

I am sorry for replying late. It seems to  be my pattern lately. I'm blaming it on my "wonky head" these last few day. looks like you have had a successful surgery with complete tumor removal. The side effects after surgery are expected specially with a tumor your size. You are young and day by day you will gain your strength and symptoms will slowy diminish. Patience and positive thinking is the key.  I would suggest you continue with as much rehab as you can get to ensure a speedy and succussful recovery. Wishing you the best.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.