Author Topic: baha in memphis?  (Read 2056 times)

Brewers7

baha in memphis?
« on: July 09, 2010, 12:28:37 pm »
Anyone know of a BAHA surgeon in the Memphis area?  Getting the demo next week but my doctor had only done one and wants to find an experienced surgeon who can do it without general anesthesia (throat issues).
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Re: baha in memphis?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 04:34:09 pm »
http://www.cochlearamericas.com/Support/94.asp?country=United%20States&state=TN&city=Memphis

There are about 8 out of 10 clinics in the above link.  I don't live in that area so I cannot really help you much.  You can ask him for a referral if you don't feel comfortable with him/her.   Baha surgery can be done under local instead of general.  I had mine done twice without the tube down my throat.  Surgery should take an hour or two depending on the surgeon.  Hope this helps. ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:35:52 pm by Kencutus »
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 05:14:24 pm »
Brewer -

check out the Cochlear website under "locate a clinic" - Ken already sent you the link.

I had my BAHA implant with local - and absolutely no sedation whatsover - and it wasn't an issue at all for me.  Over 90% of my doc's BAHA patients choose local.

As far as your doctor being inexperienced with the implant surgery, apparently this isn't at all like AN surgery - where you need to find someone with LOTS of experience.

I asked my doc about a year ago (at the ANA Symposium) how many implants a surgeon should have under his/her belt before a patient should consider him/her "experienced" and he said that once you've performed a BAHA implant you're pretty much experienced.  He told me that no one should shy away from a surgeon just because they haven't done numerous implants.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 07:03:31 am »
I don't know any in the Memphis area, but I had my surgery in Nashville - at Vanderbilt.  I know they'll do either local or general.  I'm just not sure if you want to travel that far.

If you are up for a road trip, give The Otology Group at Vanderbilt a call.  They are very experienced with BAHA's and very nice.  If you need phone numbers or names, let me know!

Good luck!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.