Author Topic: Scalp-Ache?  (Read 9216 times)

nteeman

• Back to Mono
Scalp-Ache?
« on: March 31, 2009, 10:48:48 am »
The other day after taking a shower I was towel-drying my hair and while noticing that my incision area did not seem sore anymore, I gave myself a much more vigorous wipe down. All seemed fine at first and as I enjoyed the fact that my incision wasn't sore anymore I scrubbed even harder. Then it happened!  It seems the area just above the incision became sore. The whole area became touch sensitive and painful.

After about an hour the pain ceased and the area returned to its normal state. I could touch it again and no pain.

I spoke with a nurse at my surgeons practice and she informed me that this was not unusual and was caused by nerve damage in my scalp from the incision. She said that this kind of nerve damage usually is more bothersome during cold weather and while it may go away in time, some patients always have it.

It seems that if I move my scalp in certain directions all is fine but if I move the skin another direction it can become painful.

Anyone experience anything like this?
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Re: Scalp-Ache?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 10:54:30 am »
That's one of things I asked my doctor about at my 2 week appointment.  The incision was only mildly painful, but the top of my head had more moderate pain.  The pain was definitely skin level, right at the scalp.  The doctor told me there are lots of nerves running through there, and that the pain and numbness could take a long time to go away.  The pain has become much less, but the numbness is still there.  Actually, the doc said the numbness could take years to go away.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 12:11:41 pm »
Kinda gives new meaning to the term "numbskull," doesn't it?

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 12:16:42 pm »
Every time I have my hair coloured, highlighted or cut, the left side aches for that day and the next.  I have take precautions because it can bring on a full blown headache monster.  Oh the joys of vanity!  ::)

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 12:31:13 pm »
Anne Marie ~

My scalp at the (healed) incision site was never really sore, although I didn't 'test' it, as you did, adopting the attitude that 'if it doesn't bother me, why should I look for trouble?'

My skull was numb on the AN side but that finally resolved - after almost two years. 

By the way, trying to be well-groomed and attractive is not true vanity.  Being obsessive about your appearance, is.  I trust you're in the former category.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keri

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 03:01:07 pm »
OUCH Neil - reading your post made my head hurt! :D
You and me are two days apart on surgery. My incision still hurts, just not badly. Sometimes my head feels tight too.  It doesn't bother me too much - I'm just kind of surprised it still hurts. Do scars stay tender for a while? Guess so. I am thankful that for the most part my headaches are gone.

Hope you're doing well otherwise. Have the transear yet?

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 06:16:32 pm »
OUCH Neil - reading your post made my head hurt! :D
You and me are two days apart on surgery. My incision still hurts, just not badly. Sometimes my head feels tight too.  It doesn't bother me too much - I'm just kind of surprised it still hurts. Do scars stay tender for a while? Guess so. I am thankful that for the most part my headaches are gone.

Hope you're doing well otherwise. Have the transear yet?

Keri

Keri,

No TransEar yet, I was fitted and now I am waiting for it to come in.

As far as my scalp--it is funny because my incision is healed and not sore to the touch at all. The area that becomes sore is about an inch behind and above the incision.  I have discovered that since I aggravated this area with my towel it comes and goes. When it is normal there is no sensitivity to the touch. But I discovered, and this is weird, if I push my scalp from the back of my head towards the top, WHILE MY EYEBROWS ARE RAISED, the soreness to that area come back. Of course if I do this gently it doesn't hurt too much and goes away quickly but if I do it with any force, wow it hurts.  Of course I try not to do it, and when I toweled my head after my shower tonight I did it gently, making sure my eyebrows were not raised. ;)

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 04:06:49 pm »
I find that even 6 years post-op, my incision area still does weird things.  I can take my scapl and move it around and I will hear a soft "click" where it rubs on the small metal plates that my skull flap was reattached with.  I can also sctratch my temple and "feel" it just above and behind my ear.  Just the way the nerves healed, I guess.  I wonder how much of this strange healing contributes to my headaches.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

MikeS

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 03:36:08 pm »
neal, i'm 3 weeks post-op and my scar is still the most painful area, apparently due to the nerve endings.  i'll go a full day with no tylenol and then if i'm laying on a pillow or seat a wrong way, painful spikes near the surface of my scar start pounding for a few minutes.  thought i was crazy but doc says due to the nerve endings and fact that there is still alot of healing taking place under the skin.  misery loves company....glad i'm not the only one and that i'm not going crazy.

take care and best of luck with the recovery

mike
19mm AN, left side
diagnosed Jan '09

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 06:59:28 pm »
Hi,
At almost 9 months post op, I still have days where I have that pain and the uncomfortable feeling that my head has definitely been operated on.  I figure it could get better or stay with me forever.  Either way, I'm good with it, it's not a big deal, just really gets on my nerves and gets me down a bit. But yes, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.  Early on I had more pain where the halo thing was attached to me than I did from the incision.  And the neck pain was actually the worst part!  Hang in there, your body will heal at its own pace.
Best
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 08:56:28 pm »
Numb skulls do go away, but it takes time.

I'm almost 2 years post AN op and a little over 1 year post BAHA op and just a few weeks ago I noticed that my skull and scalp are no longer numb  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Melissa778

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 06:41:30 am »
I am almost 1 year post op and have some scalp issues here and there.  My doc informed me alot of it was due to nerve damage and regeneration.  About every 3 mo. I get steroid injections into the incision/scalp to help with the pain and discomfort I have.  Once I have those I am ususally good to go for 3-4 months mostly pain free.  :)

Anne Marie.....I also take precautions when having my hair done.....but I have an amazing stylist who is great with my head! :) :)

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 06:25:28 pm »
This is all interesting.....the things we experience, that is.   I han't thought about it much, but my scalp did hurt above my incision sometimes when i woke up in the morning.  Kinda like I slept on my hair wrong, and it pulled.  It was always sore at the roots of those hairs for a little while until the discomfort went away.  I also had a bald spot, the size of a dime, which was above where they shaved.  It took a long time for hair to sprout back through it.  Weird.

-Amy
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

Seal

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 03:04:42 pm »
neal, i'm 3 weeks post-op and my scar is still the most painful area, apparently due to the nerve endings.  i'll go a full day with no tylenol and then if i'm laying on a pillow or seat a wrong way, painful spikes near the surface of my scar start pounding for a few minutes.  thought i was crazy but doc says due to the nerve endings and fact that there is still alot of healing taking place under the skin. 
mike

Mike,
I'm about three weeks out now too, and I've got similar issues.    I'll get a stabbing pain that only lasts for a few seconds and then subsides.   I'm noticing it more in the late afternoon and evenings after work when I'm really dragging, dead tired.     I associated it with the healing process as well, plus it is my little "canary in the coal mine" that tells me to back off and rest up.   I've been very very lucky with almost no serious headaches.     Interesting to hear everyone's different take on this issue.

Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.