Author Topic: Horners Syndrome  (Read 4396 times)

Maeve

Horners Syndrome
« on: February 19, 2009, 11:20:19 pm »
I had surgery on a large brachial plexes schwanonna behind the collar bone that extended to my lung in July of 07, where 2/3 of it was removed using a robot. There is 1/3 of it left. The surgery left me with Horners syndrome in my right eye as well  as weakness in my right arm and hand.  Is any one familiar with surgery for Horners Syndrome?  The vision in my right eye gets blurry, the eyelid droops and covers half of my eye. The eye always feels heavy. Any ideas on what would work to see better?
Is anyone familiar with a doctor in the Baltimore/ Washington DC area who does surgery for Horners syndrome or what kind of a doctor I should go to?   Thanks.

Maeve

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Horners Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 07:37:17 am »
Hi Maeve:  I've never heard of Horners Syndrome,  but, just a suggestion,  you might want to check out Johns Hopkins for opthalmologists or oculoplastic surgeons.....
Good luck,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
Re: Horners Syndrome
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 11:43:11 am »
Maeve,

After my surgery, I had swelling in my neck that compressed all those nerves and gave me a right arm brachial plexus injury as well as Horner's syndrome.  I was told there is no cure for Horner's.  What you can have done is aesthtic surgery to make things appear "more normal".  The docs told me that as the nerves that were compressed start to heal, that over time, the symptoms of the Horner's syndrome (droopy eyelid and mis-matched pupil size) may possibly go away.  If not, plastic surgery by a doc specializing in eyelids could be done to lift the droopy one.  Apparently, there are also eye drops used for glaucoma patients that can make your pupil size vary in order to have it match your other eye. 

For me, I don't have any problems with my sight, so I am sitting tight for right now.  Yes, the appearance isn't what I'd like, but I can live with it, at least for now.  Anything to avoid more medicines and surgeries....I've had enough :)  Hopefully you can find a doc that can help you with what you need.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions for me...

Amy  ;)
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.