Author Topic: Sleepiness & "Heavy Head"  (Read 4580 times)

Catflower

Sleepiness & "Heavy Head"
« on: July 14, 2007, 05:28:11 pm »
I'm 12 weeks post 2.5 cm AN removal and for the past 3 days I've been exceptionally sleepy and having that "heavy headed" feeling.  My balance has also been worse for the past 2 or 3 days.  I've had a problem with afternoon sleepiness since my surgery, but it seems to have been worse the last few days.

Any thoughts?

Yvette

• Yvette
Re: Sleepiness & "Heavy Head"
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 07:19:42 pm »
That's definitely been me, Catflower. I just go with it. 5 months out of surgery, I had a whole week of sleeping 9 hours instead of my normal 7&1/2. About 2 months after surgery I had worse vertigo than before surgery! It lasted about 3 days. I suspect that as our bodies heal, they'll flucuate and also need down time. As long as it's 3 steps forward and only one step back, I don't worry. Best wishes, Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

kippy6

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 08:10:59 pm »
Hi Catflower - Every day is different. Even 3 months post op you'll have good days and bad. Yes, overall you should be getting better, but I wouldn't be concerned about being sleepy on some days more than others. Just chalk it up to major surgery, and it's going to take awhile for you to completely regain your energy. If you had translab, and are deaf in one ear now, that is also an adjustment. As you try to do more, you might find that you are sleepier. Just take care of yourself. One year after surgery I taught a week long class to 5th grade students for 4 hours a day. My head hurt, and I was extremely tired every day. Take a closer look at what you are doing, and also if there is any other stressful things going on in your life that might contribute to your tiredness. Getting used to the new you can take awhile. Take baby steps, and it's okay to rest now and then -- even if it's 3-4 months post-op. And my balance (now a year post-op) is fine, but if I get tired, I notice I have some problems with balance. So your sleepiness and balance issues may be going hand in hand. As far as the heavy headed feeling, I remember coming home from surgery feeling like someone stuck a washcloth in my head, and I had this pressure and weird heavy feeling on the AN side. If this is what you are experiencing, I think this is probably normal. Not fun, but normal. I'm not a doctor though, so if you are still concerned, I'd call your doctor.

Thinking of you, and sending well wishes.
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 07:04:50 am »
Hi Catflower:  I echo what Yvette & Kippy wrote - your tiredness & heavy head feeling is expected.  14 months out & I still have tired days - I find alot of times at 2pm I need a quick nap (I close my office door at work & snooze for 15 - 20 minutes when I can).  I also still have the heavy head feeling - when it's really bad I take 2 Aleve & that really helps to relieve the fullness feeling.   Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Lorenzo

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 07:42:14 am »
I had CK, and the sleepiness is a problem for us FSR people too. I think it had a lot to do with the 'trauma' of surgery, regardless of the treatment method. Fortunately for me it has more or less resolved itself, nearly two years down the road post treatment. I'm nearly three years now, and I have more energy than I had had for a very loooooong time! Still have nap moments of course from time to time, but only when i do too much. Pacing is important, and like Nancy, a nap in the middle of the day or when the body demands it is vital, if that's a possibility.

All the best

Lroenzo

NF-2er

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 09:01:46 am »
Hi Catflower;

It sounds as though you are proceeding about as expected in your recovery. I wouldn't be concerned at the sleepiness as you've read the other posters also.
   Re: Treatment; Now the body does work to heal itself and homeostasis ( return to normal ) is it's goal. A person's body becomes geared to heal so endorphins and the immune system itself produce antibodies and increased # of white blood cells. This requires work of the body.
   Not sure if you've ever noticed in your life while taking an antibiotic for infection, you may have become sleepy also. The immune system becomes geared up to ward off the invader and the body works to achieve a state of homeostasis again. And again, work...
   The heavy headed feeling is not uncommon with vestibular loss.
   I have heard/read it said complete recovery from surgery may take up to a year.
   I suppose if you are very concerned, a telephone call to the Otologist or neurosurgeon may be in order however.
   Best wishes here, Catflower, and what a cool ID name  : )

Russ

lil_lyd

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 02:51:47 am »
I'm 9 months post-op and I'm experiencing heavy head feelings. My shoulders and arms are in huge pain and my tinnitus has increased. Anyone has experienced this? Thanks for your response.
2.5cm diagnosed 11/06. Translab surgery 02/21/07 at Kaiser San Diego. SSD and very blessed.

jtd71465

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 07:30:55 am »
Lil-

When you mentioned that your shoulders and arms are in pain it reminded me of my "frozen shoulder" issue I had after my surgery....after months of streching I'm finally able to sleep without pain and have regained motion in both shoulders.

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos