Author Topic: Computer Issues  (Read 9096 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Computer Issues
« on: April 21, 2006, 06:48:48 pm »
OK all you geeks out there--I need help.  I installed Windows XP on my 6 yr old Dell which worked great until last night when I installed PC Doctor, which found a gazillion spywares on it. I ran the PC Doctor, got rid of all the gunk it said to get rid of and now the thing is as slow as molasses which does not suit my borderline type A personality.  I use the thing all day to paint from and post and listen to Jimmy Buffet and it's just gotta be faster!!  Frustration makes the screws in my head hurt! >:(

Can someone help me evict the Jumbie which has taken up residence in it?

Thanks!
Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Battyp

Re: Computer Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 07:32:26 pm »
sounds like you're memory could be eaten up with two large programs running.  I'm def. not a comptuer guru though.  I leave that to my little bro who is the techie buff.  Uninstall pc doctor to see if it helps or defrag your computer that might help too.

Dave_S121

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 05:39:25 am »
I agree with Batty, uninstall PC Doctor and see if that helps.  There is a free spyware program called Spybot-Search and Destroy that I use.  It doesn't eat up a lot of RAM and best of all it's free.  Since you computer is 6 years old you might want to add more memory to it also. 
68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Removed 10/20/2004 Translab
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan
Hinsdale Hospital, Hinsdale, IL.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 08:13:56 am »
Capt Deb,

Windows xp is a really hungry beastie. Yopu should have a pentium4 running at least at 2mhz. memory of 500mb is reccomended but you should really have 1gb.

The other possibility is that yoy have been infected with a virus and not bigbuttis eiter.

If your computer is 6 years old, chances are its specs are light weight to be able to run xp. new hardware or go back to windows 98 or 2000.

so sorry. get a new one I suggest.

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Mark

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 08:46:04 am »
Capt Deb,

I would whole heartedly agree with Larry in terms of XP being a large consumer of the your machines resources. I wouldn't even blink at the 500 mb RAM that microsoft claims is optimum and go straight to the 1 GB or greater RAM level. If you're upgrading to XP without a machine with that much memory power you'll deal with performance problems on an ongoing basis

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 09:26:09 am »
Well, when I first installed XP it seemed to speed things up a lot!!
Will uninstalling some of the stuff I never use speed it up?  I uninstalled PC Doctor (which I shelled out $30 for) which seemed to help--at least I can get online now.  How do I add more memory--sorry to sound so dumb, but I'm a "wood boat" girl! Jeez it's easier to ask you blokes and wenches than it is to get in touch with the folks who sold me this sucker! ;D

Capt Deb 8)

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 12:24:18 pm »
You would have to buy more memory and then install it.  What type of puter is it?

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 12:26:12 pm »
It's Beige. ;D

Capt Deb

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 01:34:44 pm »
Ha Ha that last post was supposed to be funny! ;D

I uninstalled PC Doctor and it is back to it's self again!  I don't get it cuz it said PC Doc was only 17 kbs (?) Is that the right term? Does it mean kibbles and bits?

I have the code to access it again when I add more brains to the beige Dell computer. Do I go to the computer memory store? Do they have those for menopausal brain-altered wenches?

What would you guys do without me to make y'all giggle?

Captain Deb The Cyber-challenged Wench 8)

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 02:37:53 pm »
Well see there's your problem...Only GRAY computers will work with the pc doctor  lol
Dell is pretty exclusive Dell so I don't know if you can go the puter store to add memory with them or if you have to go through dell. 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 09:51:57 pm »
smack the computer on it's AN side.. that'll teach it to act up! :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 11:21:11 pm »
Capt Deb alias parrothead

After ya smack it a bit,

Go into your control panel. Click performance and maintenance, click system, click on the general tab (should default on this one anyway - then tell me whats it says towards bottom  Pentium(r) and also ?ram. Up the top of that message, it should tell ya if you are running xp professional or home and does it say SP2. The solution depends on your response to above.

With PC Doctor - I'm not 100% sure coz I haven't used it but I suspect when you had it installed, you had the settings to check stuff all the time, on. That means that every time you do sopmething, particularly re the internet, it will be checking for bugs, spyware etc. This will slow your machine down. I have spyware doctor and one of the settings is for "on guard protection". If I have that on, it does slow the p.c down a bit but not that much.

Let me know your "vital details" - as asked above ya rude wench, not what you were thinking!

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 09:15:34 am »
Capt Deb alias parrothead

After ya smack it a bit,

Go into your control panel. Click performance and maintenance, click system, click on the general tab (should default on this one anyway - then tell me whats it says towards bottom  Pentium(r) and also ?ram. Up the top of that message, it should tell ya if you are running xp professional or home and does it say SP2. The solution depends on your response to above.

With PC Doctor - I'm not 100% sure coz I haven't used it but I suspect when you had it installed, you had the settings to check stuff all the time, on. That means that every time you do sopmething, particularly re the internet, it will be checking for bugs, spyware etc. This will slow your machine down. I have spyware doctor and one of the settings is for "on guard protection". If I have that on, it does slow the p.c down a bit but not that much.

Let me know your "vital details" - as asked above ya rude wench, not what you were thinking!

Laz

It says 128 mB of Ram and 797 mhz and is the home edition and SP2--Pentium III!  It does not give the Jumbie's name.

Deb

Static

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 09:32:41 am »
Capt,
Have you run a defrag after deleting all the unwanted spyware?  That might help alot!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 09:58:16 am »
Okey Dokey!!!!