Author Topic: pain on AN side  (Read 8482 times)

sunshine16

pain on AN side
« on: April 20, 2006, 06:00:23 pm »
hi guys, Sunshine here......  Oh I do wish I see sunshine......kidding kidding.... 

I just have a question or should I say concern?  I have some pain on my AN side.  I have noticed that everytime I sleep on my left (AN side)  I always have the pain the next day.  Is anyone ever experienced this?  Doctor said it's okay or no problem sleeping on AN side.  But right now stilll feels tender and like I said painful like a pressure pain. 

thanks in advance guys.

Battyp

Re: pain on AN side
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 07:27:52 pm »
Hi Sunshine!

What type of pain?  My an side is still tender.  I can now lay a bit on that side but not for any real length of time.  I have to prop my hands under my chin to keep my head off the sore spot.

sunshine16

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 07:34:03 pm »
I don't know how to explain it, but it's like when a wound is healing and it hurts?  Sorry, I wish I could explain this better. 

The last couple of nights I've been sleeping on my AN side.  And I feel like there's a bump on my AN side and left side still feels tender....  *Shrug*  when I lay on it, it doesn't hurts. I will try NOT to sleep on it much anymore......  If not I will call my doctor to see if it's normal.  It's not a continous pain, but enough to bother and worry me.  Anyways, I'll be in L.A @ HEC in a couple of weeks for a follow up check up..... 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 08:58:45 pm by sunshine16 »

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 07:37:32 pm »
I have just started laying some on my an side as it bothered me.  I felt lopsided, and it was too tender.  I was told to just start doing it but it didn't feel right and figured I wasn't going to just do something that bothered or hurt me.  The back quadrant of my head is still tender so have to lay more to the front if I lay on that side. 

Rc Moser

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 07:53:11 pm »
Hello all.  I had pain both internal and external and still have some two years after. I think your nerves and with the hole in you head when the skin slides around it bothers the nerves. I too had pain when I started sleeping on MY an Side and even today don't stay on that side very long. As far as internal pain I think you will have that for awhile, Pain reminds me of cluster headache Pain kind of moves or jumps around, sometimes it's like I can feel it under the skin moving across my head. IMO this operation is a life altering experience and MY motto is a day without a Headache is "A GREAT DAY".  ;) ;) Hang in there IMO you going to expericence some weird pains for awhile! I think I remember our tumor size being about the same size, so probably you will endure similar pains, symstoms, and problems I have encountered. :-\ "Hopefully NOT" Cause I don't want to see anybody have pain after this operation!!!
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

sunshine16

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 08:24:25 pm »
thank you guys.......  Right now, I don't have the pain.  It comes and goes.  You know that is something I need to ask my surgeons, if I do have a hole on my head?  I guess I was too weak to asked before. But I will make sure all my questions are answered when I go to L.A.

Sometimes I wish I live w/ my doctors or they are related to me...ha ha ha....So any concerns they can just check my head.......  Too bad L.A is almost 4 hours drive from home.....  Oh well.

thanks again....... I should change my name to Ms. Paranoia.... :)

sunshine16

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 08:29:19 pm »
hey guys, I don't know if I'm just a complete id**ot or what, but I don't know what's IMO means?????????????  he he he.....

Mark

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 08:45:36 pm »
Typically IMO would mean "in my opinion"

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

sunshine16

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 08:56:59 pm »
oh thanks Mark. As you can tell I don't do much chatting online.   All I know is BTW & LoL....  I will not forget IMO now. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 09:02:10 pm by sunshine16 »

cookiesecond

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 09:01:30 pm »
Hi Sunshine,
I still have pain and tenderness on my An side. It really gets worse when I am tired?! I am in therapy for a previous neck/back injury and the therapist says we need to work on the incision. She says I need to massage the area and keep messing with it. When she gets a hold of it she is really rough.
I have pressure on the back of my head that is accompanied by nausea at times. I do not know if it is coming from the surgery or the injury and it really bothers me. Does anyone else feel pressure on the back of their head right above the neckline? I had the translab approach so I lost my balance and hearing nerve so I get really dizzy sometimes.
I think IMO is for in my opinion.
Take care,
Lynn

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 02:48:21 pm »
Sunshine,
  I don't rest my head on the AN side either, it seems to generate a dull pain.  And my taste in pillows changed after An surgery.  I used to like firm feather pillows.  Now I prefer softer pillows, and have gone through three different ones trying to find the right one ;)
  I think we probably favoring the AN side.  And may be causing some stiff muscles trying ti keep from laying on the AN side too much.  Maybe massage would help.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

sunshine16

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 05:22:45 pm »
Massage huh? 

When I was still in Physical and Occupational Therapy, my OT  suggested to me, to have some kind of stress massage?  She said it will help w/ all the trauma I gone through.  I wish I remember what it's called.  Anyways,  I asked my doctor about it; more for his approvement.  And he said not to do it. 

I didn't asked about massaging my AN side though.  That's definitely one of the questions I need to ask him when I go see him on May 16th. 

One thing I know for sure, he told me not to go to a Chiropractor for back or neck adjustments. 

So far today, no pain on my AN side.  I didn't sleep on that side at all last night.  So, I think I just discovered the reason of the pain I had. 

Battyp

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 07:36:16 pm »
Sunshine my best gf is a chiropractor and she won't even touch me right now.  So judging from what she's said and her actions I'd say no to the chiro too!  She's never in 5 years plus refused to adjust me for my headaches until post surgery.  She has done muscle stim and heat therapy and an activator adjustment on my jaw due to my tmj acting up. 

During massage they losen up toxins in your body..wonder if that is why he said no?  I have a friend who got injured at work. Fell and wrenched his back and had a massage due to hurting and almost died from the toxins being released in his body.  I know he was in a mess.  I've only had my neck massaged to release the tense muscles since surgery...hmmm...

Pembo

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 05:36:21 pm »
My ot used to do deep tissue massage on my neck and shoulders.  That was the best part of my recovery!  Since surgery I've been to a massage therapist once for my neck and shoulders and once for all over body. I didn't care for the body but the neck and shoulders was divine!!!

I too have pain if I lay on the AN side, sometimes. I'm 22 months post op. I figure any feeling is better than none I just hope one day I'm sort of normal again....
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

positive2010

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 12:04:10 am »
Sunshine, I too have pain when I sleep on my AN side.(right side)   I also have some bleeding from the BAHA site. 
 I found the perfect pillow at Sears. This has helped some but mostly I sleep on the left side.