Author Topic: Surgery is over  (Read 4531 times)

clr

Surgery is over
« on: June 23, 2009, 07:56:53 am »
Hello Everyone!

I just discovered this computer here in the lounge.

Betsy's actual surgery was only about 4 hours this time.  She looks good but of course she is in a lot of pain. They have her sitting up in the chair right now. She wants no talking, noise, etc. When a bed becomes availabe she will be getting moved out of ICU.

Thanks everyone for your prayers!
Cindy & Betsy
I do not have an AN, my 23 yo daughter does. Her username here is Bets.
4.6cm x 3.6cm x 4.4cm  UPMC Retrosigmoid 12/29/2009, 01/19/2009, 06/22/2009 
CK Oct 2009, Dr. Hirsch
SSD before & after surgery
After 3 surgeries, some facial paralysis, but will come back

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Surgery is over
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 08:02:37 am »
Cindy ....

So glad Betsy's surgery (hopefully last one!!!) is behind her now.  I will continue to pray for relief from her pain.  Keep us posted on her progress.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:08:24 am »
Good news! 4 hours is a good sign that things went well. In a couple of days Betsy will be on her way to recovery. Take care,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 10:56:39 am »
Cindy~
Oh I'm glad things seemed to go quicker and smoother this time...soon this will all be a distant memory for her as she gets on with her life!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 11:49:37 am »
Cindy ~

Thanks so much for taking the time and making the effort to alert us to the fact that Betsy's surgery is finished and she's waiting for an ICU bed.  The relative brevity of this round of surgery seems to be a good sign.  That she is sitting up in a chair (by necessity) is good, too.  Our hopes and prayers are with you both as your courageous daughter recovers and moves on with her life.

Jim
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 01:55:20 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keri

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 02:10:37 pm »
I was just wondering about Betsy today. Thank you for letting us know (glad you found a computer)! Hope you get some rest as well. I'm glad that Betsy is on the road to recovery (even though it's tough at first). Hope this is it for surgeries.

Take care,
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 11:42:29 pm »
Oops, just saw this now.  Glad everything went well. I hope she continues to improve every day!
Thanks for the update!

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Vivian B.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 05:11:36 am »
Hi Cindy,

I just saw this myself just now. Glad she is doing o.k. and wishing her a speedy recovery.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

tenai98

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 05:28:16 am »
Glad to hear its over...Beat wishes for a speedy recovery
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

clr

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 06:32:35 pm »
Thanks to everyone!!

We are home now, we got home yesterday. Betsy was doing sooo badly but she faked the drs out really well. She moaned and has slept for 3+ days. She is pretty mean on her steriods, too. When they came and asked her if she thought she could go home, she became full of energy. I wanted to tell them "no way" but I was afraid she would jump out her bed, choke me, and bust her stitches open, so I kept my mouth shut.

Anyhow, we are home and today she has improved so much. She even went out to Walmart with me to pick up her 3 WEEKS of steriods!@! 3 WEEKS of them, all the other times she was only on them for 1 week. Were you guys all really mean when you were on steriods? Good grief!  She is really a sweet girl but when she is on steriods, look out!!

I would write more but I am soooo very tired. It was soooo nice last night to sleep in my bed!!

Talk to you later!
Cindy
I do not have an AN, my 23 yo daughter does. Her username here is Bets.
4.6cm x 3.6cm x 4.4cm  UPMC Retrosigmoid 12/29/2009, 01/19/2009, 06/22/2009 
CK Oct 2009, Dr. Hirsch
SSD before & after surgery
After 3 surgeries, some facial paralysis, but will come back

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 07:04:13 pm »
Cindy .....

So glad Betsy has been discharged and you are back home!  There is nothing like one's own environment to speed recovery!!!  ..... especially your own bed and pillow!

As for the steroids, I only remember the euphoria, extra energy, and inability to sleep ...... maybe my husband remembers differently. :-\ :-\

You be sure to get your rest, as well as urge Betsy to rest as much as possible.  That might help the changes in personality.

Keep us posted.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cin605

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 08:01:26 pm »
Hi Cindy!Glad to hear you guys areback to the home front.
To answer the question about the meanness of steroids ....yes...i admit i was a bear!Direct...to the point ...no ***** footing around anthing.My poor sis,mom n fiance' put up w/me.
I was also in a big rush to walk anywhere.and was used to running aornd n doing things  fast before surgery n tried like hell to beat the clock when i got home....I would go up stairs n my mom or sis  would follow...I would go to come down n they thought if i get in front of her she will not be able to go fast....my mom said one day I can feel the daggers coming at me from behind...I said you better hurrry or i am going to pass you! ???
Hang in the mean ness does subside. ;)
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 09:39:00 pm »
I was on steroids this Feb and let me tell you, it isn't a pleasant experience for the taker either.   

Energy, yes! 

Nasty girl, yes!

Appetite, yes!  Ravenous to be exact!!  Every time I look in a mirror I am reminded of the side effects of that  :P   

Manic......oh lets not even go there!  I'm lucky to still be a wife and mother  ;)

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

moe

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 10:22:45 pm »
Oops, just saw this now. 
/quote]
Me too! Just posted on an old post.
Glad to see Betsy is home. She knows the post op routine! The steroid high will subside. >:( Just give her lots of ice cream :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 05:46:08 am »
Thanks to everyone!!

We are home now, we got home yesterday. Betsy was doing sooo badly but she faked the drs out really well. She moaned and has slept for 3+ days. She is pretty mean on her steriods, too. When they came and asked her if she thought she could go home, she became full of energy. I wanted to tell them "no way" but I was afraid she would jump out her bed, choke me, and bust her stitches open, so I kept my mouth shut.

Anyhow, we are home and today she has improved so much. She even went out to Walmart with me to pick up her 3 WEEKS of steriods!@! 3 WEEKS of them, all the other times she was only on them for 1 week. Were you guys all really mean when you were on steriods? Good grief!  She is really a sweet girl but when she is on steriods, look out!!

I would write more but I am soooo very tired. It was soooo nice last night to sleep in my bed!!

Talk to you later!
Cindy

I was the same way ... the only time I woke up .. was to eat ... everything and anythiing that was not nailed down... I gained all the weight I had lost because of the surgery etc.. very quicky!

I seem to remember I was on the Roids for 3 weeks.... and Yes I was TOLD later I was grumpy and not myself.....  I remember my wife taking my glasses to clean them... she went off to the sink in the hospital room.. and returned with clean glasses... and I said "Its about time" ... and thought... "why did I say that????" very unlike me.. and my wife... because she said nothing... if I was not in a hoispital bed...I would be missing a few appendages because of the commment like that..  ;)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital