Author Topic: My middle fossa operation at House - the full story!  (Read 5598 times)

dlbenz

• Comcast Sportsnet
My middle fossa operation at House - the full story!
« on: July 25, 2008, 02:44:27 pm »
Ok, some of you have been reading my blog (and sorry no pics of the pedicure, mostly because I didn't get my toes painted) and I have just posted my final surgery-related entry: http://community.myfoxdc.com/blogs/dlbenz.   

But, I've decided to post the entire lengthy diatribe here as well (in the proper order) because I figure 5 years from now that blog might be backloaded with stuff on the Redskins, etc and this entry will always be obtainable in a search of the website... only 1 problem, this website doesn't allow more than 2000 characters in a posting, and the total blog is like 30 pages!  So, I posted it on my server and it can be downloaded by clicking the following link:

www.sportscastingjobs.com/BenzAN.zip

Also, in an effort to make this posting search friendly for anyone down the road I am now going to put in a bunch of keywords that someone may search for.  Thanks to everybody on this site for being so supportive as I embarked on my AN adventure.

Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. Marc Schwartz, House Clinic, House Institute, Middle Fossa, St. Vincent's, Seton Hall, St. Vincent Medical Center   

1.4 cm AN removed 6/26/2008 by Dr. Derald Brackmann (House Clinic) at St. Vincent's Hospital in LA.  10-15% hearing loss in left (AN) ear.  Very slight facial paralysis on left side of face.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: My middle fossa operation at House - the full story!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 06:30:26 pm »
Dave -

it's a damn shame about the pedicure pictures - I was SO looking forward to them!  ;)

Your post sounds like maybe you are thinking your AN journey is over - and I hope it is - with the exception of your follow-up MRIs.

If you are "signing off" the forum for now, please return now and then to update us on your progress.  It's always nice to hear from fellow forumites.  And it's very encouraging for newbies to see success stories, whether they were success stories from the very beginning or whether the patient had to work on making his/her story successful.

Best wishes,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 06:51:56 pm »
I agree with Jan - I was looking forward to the pedicure pictures!

Seriously, your blog has been a wonderful read and I hope that others who travel down are able to access it.  In the meantime, I wish you continued good recovery!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 04:25:38 am »
Glad you're home and all is going well.  You are right, the dizziness does go by the wayside with challenging yourself more by "getting out there" and of course, vestibular rehab speeds things up nicely.  Glad to hear your hearing is there and that the facial issues seem to be recovering nicely!  Way to go dlbenz!  Peace and joyful days from here on out. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

dlbenz

• Comcast Sportsnet
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 08:41:02 pm »
Don't worry, I am ending the blog but I will be stopping by here regularly. 

I am very optimistic my struggles with AN are nearing an end; but the journey is just beginning.  As I told Dr. Brackmann before the operation, "I'm going to be a success story."  And I feel if God (and my doctors) has blessed me enough to make the prediction come true it is my obligation to share my story to give hope to others.

So I plan on updating my situation regularly (here not on the blog) because I think most people who do have success forget about this site and move on with their lives.  I want to try to write updates 6 months, 1 year, 5 years and 10 years down the road so people can gauge the longterm benefiits of my experience.

In other words, there still could be a shot of pedicure photos... but don't hold your breath!
1.4 cm AN removed 6/26/2008 by Dr. Derald Brackmann (House Clinic) at St. Vincent's Hospital in LA.  10-15% hearing loss in left (AN) ear.  Very slight facial paralysis on left side of face.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 08:53:39 pm »
Glad to hear it, Dave - even if you never do share pedicure photos  ;)

I had a very successful outcome too and I stick around the forum for some of the very same reasons.

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 02:21:08 pm »
Hi, Dave,

I really enjoyed all your blog entries and your pictures -- brought back memories of my trans-lab surgery for a small AN tumor at House/St. Vincent's this past January (2008). My room also had a view of the Hollywood sign -- an unexpected bonus!

I do feel compelled to respond to one sentence in your final blog entry: "Had I been 59 instead of 39 I likely would have chosen radiation [over surgery]." In the interest of presenting a full range of viewpoints on this forum, I want you to know that I was 59 when I had my surgery and, six months post-surgery, I am feeling fine and back to all my normal activities ... and this includes regular exercise and an active lifestyle. My only prescription medication pre-surgery (and the only one I'm still on now) is a very low-dosage blood-pressure medicine. I didn't have one foot in the grave before my surgery and I don't now!!!

Judging from the postings, I definitely believe that I'm at the older end of the range of forum participants ... but I would hate for anyone to get the impression that "age" should necessarily trump "state-of-health" when deciding on the appropriate treatment. And please understand that while I'm certainly not suggesting that you were implying this by your comment, I hope you can understand why that sentence sort of jumped out at me! My reasons for choosing surgery over radiation treatment were quite similar to yours -- though I can certainly understand why many individuals, regardless of their age or health issues, would prefer radiation to surgery.

Finally, in the interest of full disclosure, when I was 39 I have to admit that I probably thought that 59 was pretty old, too! But I've found out that it's not.
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 03:02:12 pm »
Jerseygirl2:

Although I appreciate Dave's contributions and applaud his positive attitude I have to agree with you that age should not be a deciding factor in AN treatment - but general health should.  I was 63 at the time of my retrosigmoid surgery followed by 26 FSR treatments and I did very well with only minimal complications.  No serious eye or balance issues and no facial paralysis.   My neurosurgeon was absolutely delighted with my outcome.  I attribute most of it to prayer and a superlative medical team along my general good health going in.  Granted, age cannot be overlooked when dealing with serious surgery, as we've undergone, but age, alone, should not be a major factor if the patient's health is otherwise good. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 07:44:55 pm »
Ah!  Jim and Jerseygirl, I hate to brag about something like age, but I had translab at age 64 and I am approaching 67.  Life couldn't be sweeter today.  To speak of my surgery and recovery as a trophy act would please my Houston surgeons to be sure.  But credit goes to the prayers, and the good support of you, my forum friends. :D

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 07:55:50 pm »
Boppie,

Well-stated! I do agree with you! I didn't find this forum until a few weeks ago, but I think the enthusiastic support given folks by the many faithful posters is just amazing.

JerseyGirl2
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 10:48:58 pm »
JerseyGirl2, Jim, and Boppie -

IMO you are all shining examples that surgery for "older than 39 year-olds" isn't a problem.

While I'm not quite as old as you three, I wasn't a "spring chicken" when I had my surgery last year.  I was 45; and I did quite well, if I do say so myself  ;)

Jan

marg

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 09:43:29 am »
I was 52 when I had my Middle Fossa surgery..... and I'm doing 'reasonably well' myself.  Glad to be alive and able to ride my bike again (  even at my advanced age and with only one balance nerve  ;D ).  Still have some facial paralysis issues - but my understanding is that you can have facial issues with radiation too - so..... we make our choices and move on.  Hope I never have to deal with the AN again - but if I do I will relook at all the current options and decide on a course of treatment.
marg
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 09:45:45 am by marg »
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

JulieW4

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 09:05:12 pm »
Three cheers for JerseyGirl, Boppie and Jim.  I don't blame you JerseyGirl for taking issue with Dave's comment about age.  I'm going to assume that maybe it was a typo and he meant to say "If I was 79 instead of 39, I might of chosen radiation" 

Dave, I am glad you will continue to post regularly on your success.  I do believe it's important that people read positive comments.  My neurosurgeon felt after checking out the forum that too many people who have successful outcomes then stop posting, but I told me that he was wrong and that there were loads of positive experiences, but also helped to be realistic about possible effects of treatment.

Julie
2.7mm X 3.7mm AN
misdiagnosed for 13 years
complete hearing loss on right side
Had Translab surgery on June 30th, released from hospital 48 hours after completion of 5 hours of surgery
BAHA abutment surgery on Oct. 31st, received processor on Dec. 4th

dlbenz

• Comcast Sportsnet
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 02:26:34 pm »
Wow!  I didn't mean to start a fire with my 39 vs 59 comment. 

Kudos to everyone who has had successful surgeries in their 40's, 50's and beyond.  I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone, at any age from exploring surgery I simply meant to imply that because of my "youth" the decision was much easier to make.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 03:26:53 pm »
Dave,

No need to apologize! I'm the one who started the "59 isn't 'old'" campaign. and I probably over-reacted a bit. Your posts were so well written and thorough, and am sure have been and will continue to be a big help to people who are working their way through the whole acoustic neuroma process.

JerseyGirl2
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
Monmouth County, NJ