Author Topic: Success Story  (Read 2567 times)

stef84

Success Story
« on: June 12, 2010, 06:38:10 pm »
Hello Everyone,
I just wanted to share my story, as I know reading about successful procedures made me feel very hopeful before my surgery. I am hoping I can do the same for someone who is nervously awaiting their own surgery.

I am 25 years old. I had a translab surgery last Wednesday, June 2nd at NYU Medical Center performed by Dr. Roland and Dr. Golfinos. I went in thinking my tumor was 14mm, but found out that it had doubled in size after the surgery was over (My doctors were fantastic enough not to worry be before going into the OR).

My surgery took a little over 4 hours and I was so lucky to have all of my family and boyfriend there to greet me as I woke up. In the recovery room I woke up dizzy and a little nauseous, but with no pain. The deafness in my right ear was unnoticable as my hearing decreased slowly throughout the past year. The doctors came to tell me that everything went wonderfully and my facial nerve was not affected at all. I spent three days in the hospital- my only complaints were that I had a stiff neck from positioning during surgery which made sleeping very uncomfortable and no appetite from the anesthesia (hospital food is pretty awful anyway!). I also had a drain from my belly, but it turned out to be nothing for them to remove it!

I was able to come home last Saturday, and have been recouperating at home with my parents and visiting family. After a few days at home I started to regain my balance and today I feel almost 100%. I am walking everyday and my balance is almost completely back to normal. My stitches were removed yesterday and the incision on my belly is healing great. Dr. Roland made the incision right along the bottom of my belly button, and it is already starting to blend in and become unnoticable. I never imagined that I would recover so quickly. I realize how fortunate I am to have had no complications and such a rapid recovery. I just wanted to share my story.
25 year old teacher
diagnosed 7/09 - 28mm right side
Translab. w/ Dr.Roland & Dr. Golfinos (NYU) June 2, 2010
Deafness on Right
Feeling Fantastic! =)

turbomom

Re: Success Story
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 07:04:36 pm »
You are very blessed! Thanks for sharing your positive experience. I pray mine will go as well on July 7th.
turbomom
tinnitus, mild hearing loss, occasional light-headiness, rare imbalance. Diagnosed on 07/09; 14x9x8mm intra and extra canalicular of left ear. Repeat MRI on 1/15/10...waiting for radiologist to read, but on quick review little growth shown.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 08:16:54 pm »
Glad you had a great experience.  Drs. Roland & Golfinos rock!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 12:05:43 am »
Congratulations on a successful surgery and recovery! Amazing!

Age is on your side, too :D Only 4 hours too. Hopefully others will read this and not worry so much. :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

kenneth_k

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 12:24:50 am »
Thank you for the update.

I'm very glad to hear that all things went well.

Kenneth

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 10:27:09 am »
Thanks for sharing and you really are doing fantastically well.  Congrats postie!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 02:42:00 pm »
Hi, Stefani ~

Thanks for the positive update!  I know you were predictably nervous prior to your surgery (which is perfectly normal) and I'm delighted to learn that it went exceedingly well and that you seem to be recovering nicely. May your recuperation be swift and complete.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 02:45:58 pm »
Stef:

That is the fastest recovery I know about. I agree with Moe that age is on your side. Remember to take it easy even if you are feeling fantastic.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

LisaP

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 04:44:07 pm »
Congrats on a speedy recovery!!

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

sues1953

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 06:41:23 am »
Thank you for sharing your success story with us.  That is terrific news.  ;D

Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 09:42:34 am »
Stef .....

Thanks for sharing your wonderful success story.  Sometimes we can become bogged down by all of the negatives related to having an AN ..... it is terrific to read the reports of good results.

Congratulations on the "best outcome" for your AN.  Be sure to listen to your body as you recover and rest adequately between the exercise times.  Recovery is not always a steady uphill progress ..... sometimes there are little twists and turns and that is perfectly normal.

Keep up the good work.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

wendysig

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 07:16:13 pm »
Stef,

Thanks for sharing your experience.  It is always good to hear about a complete surgical success.  Many of our fellow forumites have been fortunate enough to have Drs.  Roland and Golfinos as they surgeons and also have wonderful things to say about them.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

satman

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 03:44:11 pm »
outstanding !
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 03:30:23 am »
great positvie storyx
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06