Author Topic: New York City doctors  (Read 2669 times)

jaj

New York City doctors
« on: March 21, 2006, 01:06:06 pm »
I've met with Doctors Gutin, Stieg, Selesnick and Post regarding a 3.3 cm AN (I am 57) - and I am at a loss as to how to decide on a doctor.  If you have visited or used any of these doctors, I'd appreciate knowing about your experience: how did you decide who to use? would you recommend him?  Several of these doctors work with a team, another does not. Several of the doctors say there is someone in the OR who does continuous facial nerve monitoring...another says he doesn't do this because his instruments do the monitoring.  (Thankfully they all agree that surgery is necessary and the type of surgery to do!) Any information you can provide will be very much appreciated.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: New York City doctors
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 12:37:18 pm »
hi jaj and welcome.  I am not familiar with the dr's you note in NYC (hoping others here will know of them for you), but if other opinions are necessary, please keep in mind that Boston also offers great options/opinions if you need them. Just an afterthought.

I was presented with many options as my AN is deemed "smaller" than many. For me, I met with so many docs (micro-surgery as well as radio-surgery).  I asked on support web sites such as this one.  I sought out other patient's thoughts on particular treatment options, I conferred with dr's on both ends of the spectrums. I sent the CD of my MRI films around the country for phone 2nd opinions.  I kept in mind my patient's rights and asked every dang question I could.  I then melded all the conversations into one, sat back and did a Pro/Con list for all options available to me.  So, it worked for me.

Since your AN is deemed a bit larger (3.3cm), I believe micro-surgery is the option of choice.  You have started your research path well by posting here and asking if anyone knows of the dr's.  House Clinic in Southern CA will also do free phone consults if you send them copies of your MRI. 

Lots of valuable info on this site... I hope the info available here and on other online sites will help bring you some inner peace as you go through you decision making process.

Phyllis

Hang tough and again... welcome.
Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 12:46:39 pm »
Jaj how does he do facial nerve monitoring with his instruments?  I'm not familiar with doctos in NY I met with several and trusted my gut with whom I went with.  I also looked to see how many an's they saw a year, how many in the last 30 days have facial paralysis, check with the state to see how many insurance claims they've had to pay out.  Due to your size microsurgery is your only option to which you'll have to decide on translab, or subocciptial (retrosigmoid), Do you know if you're brain stem is involved?  Do you have any hearing left in your an side?  Those are all factors in deciding which route to go.  Know we are here to answer any questions or just listen to you vent!  Did you request the phamplets from ana? They were very good info and come very fast!

My thoughts and prayers are with you,
Michelle

jaj

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 07:46:19 pm »
Thanks all, for your encouraging words. Battyprincess-I haven't been able to find any statistics on the number of ANs a doctor has done - or the surgical outcomes. Where did you find that information?

LBM

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 08:50:53 pm »
Hi Jaj,
I am a 31 year old female who had a 3 cm AN removed April 27th, 2005 with Drs. Steig and Selesnick at Cornell. I would be happy to share any information with you that I could. I was diagnosed by a neurologist at Cornell who then referred me to Steig and Selesnick. I really liked then a lot. I then went to Mount Sinai for a second opionon and saw Dr. Post. I also liked him. Both doctor agreed on the need for surgery and the type of surgery I needed. My tumor was pressing on the brainstem. I decided to go with Steig and Selesnick because I liked the idea of a team approach. Dr. Post said he does the surgery alone but has a neurotologist on standby if needed, that is what Dr. Selesnick is. I just felt more comfortable wtih both surgeons in the room. But I think either choice is fine and you will be in good hands with either team. I got overwhelmed and didn't see anymore doctors. I am happy with my choice and think they did the best job they could. I wish you the best of luck and I would be happy to help you further.
Lauren

MAM

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 08:03:12 am »
I've met with Doctors Gutin, Stieg, Selesnick and Post regarding a 3.3 cm AN (I am 57) - and I am at a loss as to how to decide on a doctor.  If you have visited or used any of these doctors, I'd appreciate knowing about your experience: how did you decide who to use? would you recommend him?  Several of these doctors work with a team, another does not. Several of the doctors say there is someone in the OR who does continuous facial nerve monitoring...another says he doesn't do this because his instruments do the monitoring.  (Thankfully they all agree that surgery is necessary and the type of surgery to do!) Any information you can provide will be very much appreciated.

MAM

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 08:08:37 am »
I too would like some info on NYC doctors. My daughter, just turned 25, was just diagnosed 2 wks ago. Her AN is approximately 2.0cm.  We have been to see Post/Smouha at Mt.Sinai, Roland/Golfinos at NYU Medical, and Selesnick/Steig/Gutin at NYPresbyterian/Cornell. We are trying to decide between the Post team and the Roland team. I'm curious as to why I have not come across any mention of NYU Medical on this site or the names of these 2 surgeons since they claim to have performed 600 + AN surgeries over the last 15-20 years. Has anyone heard of this team. Would appreciate your comments and experience and also the outcome with Post as far as headaches, hearing preservation, etc.