Author Topic: Tumbleweed's MRI 5 years post-CK  (Read 4919 times)

Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed's MRI 5 years post-CK
« on: October 05, 2013, 01:21:06 pm »
Hi, everyone:

I just got the results of my 5-year followup MRI. Both tumors -- AN and HN (hypoglossal neuroma) -- are stable in size.  :) Since the HN has not been treated, Dr. Chang had ordered an MRI every 12 months for me, in order to keep a watchful eye on it for growth. But now that it has been stable in size for almost six years (since its discovery), he's moving my followup MRIs to 18-month intervals. That's fantastic news for me, as it will ease the drain on my pocketbook significantly (I have a high insurance deductible).

On a side note, I've had pronounced disequilibrium and intermittent vertigo over the past 10 days, which is why Dr. Chang ordered last week's MRI about a month ahead of regular schedule. It's interesting and noteworthy that I'm having these symptoms fully five years after CK treatment despite no tumor regrowth. For a more in-depth narrative on what could possibly be causing these symptoms so far along after treatment, please go to this link:
http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18727.15
Look for my post on the second page of this thread.

Best wishes to all,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Tumbleweed

Re: Tumbleweed's MRI 5 years post-CK
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 01:28:27 pm »
A few nuances on my post: my HN was first discovered in December, 2008, but a re-examination of past MRIs showed it was evident (but overlooked) since the first series taken in November, 2007.

My AN swelled significantly during the first half year after receiving CK, then shrank precipitously over the following 2-1/2 years. Over the past 2 years, it has been stable in size.

Best wishes to all,
TW

mk

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 07:49:26 pm »
Hi TW,

it is good to hear from you. Congratulations on your MRI results. I am glad that your AN is stable and that the HN is behaving itself. Great news that Dr. Chang is confident to move you to 18 months intervals. I hope that the disequilibrium episodes are transient, I guess we keep getting reminders of our condition now and then.

My MRI is upcoming too (on October 25th) and I hope that I will also receive good results, in spite of some recent headaches.

Best wishes,
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 09:40:50 pm »
Hi TW, just wanted to congratulate you on your 5th anniversary!

Mariana, I am sure your MRI will be alright too. please share the results  :)

I am also part of the 5th ANiversary club - my ANniversary was last week too and all's been clear so far!

Best,
Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

millie

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 05:58:33 am »
Congratulations on the good report and stay hopeful.  I too have the episodes of disequilibrium and I always have the facial stiffness. God bless you. Mil

Anomar11

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 08:11:34 pm »
Hi TW,

Congratulations on the stability.  I'm also 5 years post.  This year I don't need MRI.  I just posted re: a second episode of vertigo also.  I had one last June accompanied by vomiting.  This one wasn't as bad but it had me down for a few days.  Of interest is both times, I had cold sores (same side as AN) and it makes sense to me that the herpes simplex virus could play havoc on a damaged nerve.  I recover fairly quickly relatively speaking.  Today is day 3.  I returned to work wonky headed and very tired which is expected.  It makes sense that our radiated vestibular nerves with dead tumors would be weakened and more prone to this type of thing.  I try not to fear it for this reason, but that's easier said than done when you're spinning and vomiting.  I always appreciate your input and relaying the messages from Dr. Chang.  Take care.
L An diagnosed 5/08 2.0 x 1.1 x 1.3 cm.  Cyberknife Stanford Drs Chang and Gibbs Nov '08.  One yr: 2.1 x 1.4 x 1.6, Two yr: 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.8, Three yr: 1.9 x 1.5 x 1.5, Four year 1.6 x 1.1 x 1.1, Six yr: 1.4 x .7 x .9

Tumbleweed

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 03:02:47 am »
Thanks to everyone for expressing their well wishes here. btw, it seems like my dizziness is finally abating. It took around 3 months to return to my "normal" baseline. Vestibular therapy helped, but I think the main benefit was probably just the passage of time. I say that because I dramatically curtailed my vestibular therapy after hurting my back a few weeks ago (I didn't want to do exercises that might make me have to suddenly catch myself from tipping over, as that might've wrenched my back again), yet I still continued to improve. Which reinforces my belief that these episodes tend to be self-limiting over time.

Best wishes to all,
TW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 05:47:09 am »
TW,
Can I say a MAJOR congrats to you and at this point.....  take care of your back and continued wellness wishes to you!
Phyl

Thanks to everyone for expressing their well wishes here. btw, it seems like my dizziness is finally abating. It took around 3 months to return to my "normal" baseline. Vestibular therapy helped, but I think the main benefit was probably just the passage of time. I say that because I dramatically curtailed my vestibular therapy after hurting my back a few weeks ago (I didn't want to do exercises that might make me have to suddenly catch myself from tipping over, as that might've wrenched my back again), yet I still continued to improve. Which reinforces my belief that these episodes tend to be self-limiting over time.

Best wishes to all,
TW
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"