Author Topic: Sudden hearing loss 6 years after Gamma Knife  (Read 4351 times)

sewnice50

Sudden hearing loss 6 years after Gamma Knife
« on: January 08, 2013, 10:11:06 am »
Hi everyone,
I had a sudden hearing loss January 5, 2013 .  I woke up and noticed a hearing change. (after Gamma knife in 2006 my hearing had dropped about 50% over 1 year).   I put my hearing aid in and it did not seem to be working.  I tried it in my non-AN ear and it seemed to be working fine.

I had a hearing test yesterday (January 7) it showed a slight hearing loss.  However the hearing recognition dropped 32%.

Why would this be happening after all this time.  I am due for a MRI this May after skipping a year.  I was doing well enough to skip a year.  The audiologist mentioned "nerve damage".

What could be happening?

Thanks in advance for your input,  I am very nervous.
Sewnice50

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Sudden hearing loss 6 years after Gamma Knife
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 02:54:01 pm »
Hi ~

I'm sorry to learn about your sudden hearing deficiency and your nervousness is quite understandable.   Unfortunately, although Gamma Knife radiation treatment is very effective, hearing loss is a possible consequence of the procedure and delayed hearing loss is not entirely uncommon.  I would suggest consulting your doctor for more specific information but your audiologist's mention of nerve damage is accurate.  Please try to let us know how this eventually works out for you.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 10:22:13 am »
Sorry about the hearing loss so many years after treatment. It is common knowledge that hearing loss can happen within a 5 year time frame after GK, so I would assume that 6 years is not unheard of. Perhaps a dose of steroids, can help restore some of the hearing if taken soon enough after the episode, have you asked your doctor about this? Steroids always worked for me after experiencing these episodes.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 06:04:16 am »
I too am sorry to hear of your new challenge.  I also recommend seeing your doctor about a steroid treatment...that stuff is amazing.   Have you noticed an increase in tinnitus with the sudden hearing loss?  Have you been dealing with any head congestion....ear clogging?

Wishing you the best.

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 06:48:51 pm »
Personally, I'd move the MRI up to ASAP.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

sewnice50

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 12:53:25 pm »
Thank you all for your responses.  I just had an A-fib ablation on the 10th.  I am just up and moving from that experience.

I did take a dose pack of steroids right away starting January 9, and I think it did help a bit.  I still have loud tinnitus in the ANA ear.

I am having a  hearing test re-do to see if the steroids helped, and an MRI as soon as I can schedule it.  My doctor said he doesn't find this unusual even if it was sudden. 

I will let you all know what the MRI shows.  I should be within a week.
Sue

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 08:08:11 pm »
I had a similar incident and I too went in for an emergency MRI and a hearing test in 2007.  The MRI didn't show anything, but the hearing test showed a drop in hearing discrimination.  After finishing the steroid pack I had a follow up and the speech discrimination came back to almost pre-episode levels.

Definitely agree to follow up with your doc.
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!