Author Topic: Moderators mentioned in ANA Notes March 2009  (Read 2960 times)

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Moderators mentioned in ANA Notes March 2009
« on: March 31, 2009, 12:44:09 pm »
Congratulations Phyl, Joe, Steve and Jim.  You were mentioned on page 2 of the ANA Notes by Priscilla, the group leader of the Houston Texas Support Group!  "You assure that no one faced with an acoustic neuroma will have to face it alone."

Well said (written really) and I totally agree!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Re: Moderators mentioned in ANA Notes March 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 01:25:23 pm »
BTW, that Priscilla is not me, Msmaggie.  I'm not the boss of anything, I'm happy to report. :D

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 01:27:21 pm »
We were? I missed that ... I'll have to read it again  :o
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 04:10:46 am »

Yes, all of the folks in the Houston Chapter of the ANSG really appreciate Phyl, Joef and Steve!  Actually, we appreciate everyone who contributes to this forum, without this forum and all of the wonderful people on it, it would be far more difficult to go through what we all have gone through and are going through.  To have a spot where you can go to ask a question, get advice on a problem you think you are the only one to ever go through and get all of the good thoughts and prayers offered up by all of you folks is just truly heart warming and amazing. 
One of the first things I do when I turn my computer on in the morning is to check to see what has been posted on this site.  I don't always respond, but I do read each and every post and in my own silent way, offer up prayers and good thoughts to everyone.  I laugh at the antics of the Good Morning thread, and nod in agreement at some of the other posts from new posters asking questions I asked a few years back.
March's ANA Notes brought home, how important all of you have been and continue to be to me.  So thank you, you are a truly amazing bunch.
Brenda, one of the Houston gang
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 05:57:21 am »
Hi all and thanks. Actually, it is a seperate box noted on the bottom away from the article, which the ANA office has done in the past, as a little "kudos" to the Mods.   (although its a nice thought if a support group did that for us) but... thank you for the kind words... just doing our job, nothing more (well, except for Steve's knitting and Joe's fishing and Jim enhancing everyone's vocabulary! :) )

Thanks Ernie and all for noting it.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 09:11:15 am »
I missed that too. Nice side bar, thanks!

The Houston group article is good. I feel the same way about our Portland group. We meet on about the same schedule. Every time I think there won't be anything new or interesting, and every time there is something good. It is always worth it to go.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Joef

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 09:34:24 am »

LOL ... I skipped over the boxes , so I missed it the first time...

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 10:43:27 am »
I echo the kuddos to the mods here..  You guys are very appreciated!

Regards,

Brian -  Another of the Houston Gang
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 12:15:03 pm »
I must say, being moderators on this forum is much more than a job.  It is a calling and it offers so many folks a lifeline when they need it most.  I will be forever grateful for all of you.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 01:37:56 pm »
I saw the acknowledgment in 'Notes' and appreciated it, even though they used my legal (last) name, which probably confused a few folks.  Fortunately, I know who I am.  :)

I spent quite a few years posting messages on other message boards, including a stint as a volunteer moderator on a political board, which was a very unpleasant experience that I finally quit, in disgust.  In 2006, I went through my AN experience and while doing so, discovered this website and the forums, which I used extensively, prior to my surgery.  Afterward, I found myself coming to the forums almost every day because I had both information as well as a relatively positive experience I could share with newly-diagnosed (and often, frightened) AN patients as well as the camaraderie of AN 'veterans'.  Soon, I became a regular 'forumite'.  I didn't abandon posting messages on other, totally unrelated message boards, including hobby and political boards, but I spent the bulk of my 'internet time', here.  In May, 2008, the ANA Director, Judy Vitucci, offered me a (voluntary) moderator position that I was honored to accept.  I enjoy exchanging information, offering support and encouraging other AN patients who are in need of what all of us who participate on the forums may have to offer.  Our diverse 'population' is literate and quite well-mannered, making the job of 'moderating' pleasant....most of the time, anyway.  I know some 'forumites' are bemused by my use of the English language and like to tease me about it, but I don't really mind.  These are my friends.

I probably won't be a moderator or even a 'regular' poster on these forums indefinitely, but for the foreseeable future, I'll be around, using up the ANA's bandwidth and sending folks to their dictionaries on a regular basis.   :)

Jim       
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Joef

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 01:56:56 pm »
I must say, being moderators on this forum is much more than a job.  It is a calling and it offers so many folks a lifeline when they need it most.  I will be forever grateful for all of you.
M

ANA are the ones doing a good job ! ... we just delete spam now and then (Phy does keep a wip handy  :-* )

ps... I do have many fishing sites in my favorites  :o ....
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 01:58:27 pm by Joef »

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 02:14:49 pm »
*hands "M" $1 million for the million-dollar comment!* :)

Joe, you fish? No!  :o  ;D  ;)  ;D

M

ANA are the ones doing a good job ! ... we just delete spam now and then (Phy does keep a wip handy  :-* )

ps... I do have many fishing sites in my favorites  :o ....
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 10:25:28 pm »
Yeah, Phyl is a little rough with the whip - thank God the rest of you moderators don't have such strict rules  ;)

I haven't seen the article yet - as always, I'm sure my issue of Notes will take a few weeks to get to me.  Perhaps I should ask the ANA to put my name at the top of the mailing list  ;D

Kudos to all of you - Phyl, Joef, Jim and Steve - you do a great job and I know the pay isn't stellar - with the exception of the use of that jet we all talk about  :D

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways