Author Topic: priorities  (Read 4350 times)

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
priorities
« on: April 04, 2011, 01:40:10 pm »
Not really sure where this was most appropriate, but figured I probably can't go too far wrong here.

A while ago a friend asked me to write something for her monthly holistic health newsletter. The brief article appeared yesterday and is reposted below. Maybe someone will find it valuable or helpful.

Keeping a Sense of Priorities

Every so often a friend makes the mistake of complaining about the weather to me.  Jan did this a month ago, and a colleague did it today.  Why is it a mistake?  After recovering from 36 hours of surgery to remove a large brain tumor some 13 months ago, I have become much more appreciative of each day, regardless of the weather.

Very simply, we can't change the weather - it is what it is.  If some winter day you complain to me about the cold, and you can't wait for summer to arrive, there is a strong chance I am going to look at you and say, "Why, are you in a hurry to die?"  Each change in seasons represents the passing of days already too few in number as it is (at least from my perspective).  I admit that this year, I have not enjoyed the cold as much as I used to, but I would rather have each cold, wet and windy day, than not.  I love experiencing the change of seasons.  This March has been particularly good to experience with all its unpredictable bluster leading to new buds, blossoms, the promise of a new garden.

I believe having a clear sense of our individual priorities makes undesirable weather something to be appreciated, or at least, accepted with grace.  Realizing that rushing through the seasons is equivalent to rushing through life, I'm sure just about anyone could find something to do to enjoy each day.

After all, as we say in our scout troop: There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: priorities
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 02:04:22 pm »
Tod .....

Good post ..... certainly a model for all of us to use.  Most days I feel as you do but some days it is a struggle to keep that positive attitude.  Having grown up in the northern part of the U.S. I was very accustomed to frigid weather all winter.  I am afraid I would not be content to live in a climate where the change from season to season is minimal.  I love the changing seasons, with all of the wonderful colors, moods, and yes, even the extreme temps of each ..... call me weird!   ::)

I love the scout troop quote:  "There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing."

As one of the *ahem* elder members of this forum, I can very much relate to not rushing through life.  I truly do enjoy each season of my life and have no desire to be any younger than I am!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 03:57:51 pm »
Tod ~

Your comments on appreciating each day and the changes it brings are perceptive and we can appreciate that they come from your life experience.  As a 'mature' person I can certainly agree with your recognition that life is finite and should be appreciated (at any age) but too often isn't until a life-changing experience and/or the inevitable advancement of years forces us to recognize our mortality in a way that encourages savoring the days, whatever the weather (or our circumstances).  Priorities do change, then, and your comments elucidate that reality nicely.  Well done.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:19:16 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 05:04:40 pm »
I totally agree.  After my bout of meningitis after surgery, when going to the grocery store was a painful, arduous task, I have to admit I now smile as I whisk around the local stores getting my items.  I will never again take it for granted, along with a lot of other things. My perspective is forever changed.
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Keeping Up

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 10:19:38 pm »
You have hit it right!!!!

I am a very upbeat person - it helps I have had nothing truly bad happen to me (I am here on this website with a tiny little tumor - which may never require treatment). 

I mentioned this in a different post - but can relate it here as well.  My 5 year old fell 30 feet from a ski lift last weekend (with a ski instructor) - it was near the top, where the safety bar was lifted, and he just slid off the seat.  We were told of the accident and watched them bring him off the hill in a rescue tobaggan.  it was terrifying.  We unwrapped him from the blankets.  He was firmly secured head-to-toe in full spinal gear.  I kissed his check and told him we loved him dearly.  The ambulance (with one EMS attendant in full flight gear in the event of the requirement of an air evacuation) had already arrived from the local mountain hospital.  My son was whimpering but obviously recognized us.   He could move his hand and we were told he was moving his legs on the hill.  At that point, I knew he was going to be OK - what OK was I didn't quite know, but he was breathing on his own, he was talking, he knew us, he moved.  I could handle whatever else he might throw at us. 

I am a very cheerful person - I think of the negative things that could happen each day but instead of letting them get me down, it drives me to be happier.  The alternatives are quite poor - they may happen this year, they mightn't happen for many many years.  I can't control that - but I can be joyful right now, see the fun in almost everything.

... my son, as unbelievable as it may sound, doesn't have a bruise on his body.  He does have 5 compression fractures in his spine - but if you think I am enthusiastic, you should meet this kid - he is exuberant, and not even a damaged back takes away his smile (or unfortunately diminishes his energy).

And, for the weather - Calgary got almost a foot of snow on Saturday.  So, what did this family do - we took the kids skiing on Sunday.  It was the best day every - snow everywhere, blue skies, sunny sunny sunny.  Simply AWESOME! 

Thank you for your perspective - it is so true.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 04:28:29 am »

As one of the *ahem* elder members of this forum, I can very much relate to not rushing through life.  I truly do enjoy each season of my life and have no desire to be any younger than I am!

Clarice

I'm with you on that Clarice.

I would like to add a simple idium that I'm slowly learing to live by - I can't control other people or their actions but I do have control over my reaction to them.

I don't count days at the moment.  I say thanks when I wake up to a new one now though  ;D

♥ ´)
.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•♥ ¨)
(,.•´ (.♥ •´ *Suu

Hugs to the lot of us!

4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 06:38:08 pm »
Thanks for the support everyone. As we know, it is not always easy to really appreciate each day, but it sure seems worth the effort. I certainly can't deny the fact that some folks have super-tough issues that require a heroic effort just to get up out of bed and live the day. Those people are my heroes.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

moe

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 07:19:10 pm »
Tod,
Thanks for the newsletter clip. So true! I'm in a slump now, probably the weather and hormones : 39 cloudy days in a row with LOTS of rain~ ok maybe some sun breaks, but I need sun!
Waking up and going to sleep with the tinnitus and a "foggy brain" is getting old. But I plug along....that's my motto. ;)
Moe
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty