Author Topic: swallowing issues  (Read 1995 times)

madison

swallowing issues
« on: August 09, 2009, 04:15:24 pm »
hi everyone~
i recently seem to be having a swallowing issue. i CAN swallow and don't have pain, which is why i feel like it's a stress/mental thing. i start eating a meal just fine and then just because one time recently i kind of swallowed wrong and it hurt my throat- i dwell on the physical task of swallowing and than it seems difficult. i am worried that this is related to my AN but try to make myself feel better by thinking its just because i have post nasal drip right now. when im not thinking about it i get through a whole meal ok but once i think of it, it's sort of hard to stop. does anyone have any related story to share regarding this subject? i would appreciate your input. thanks! :)
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: swallowing issues
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 08:39:21 pm »
You "could" be having some post treatment (gamma knife) inflammation and swelling that may be affecting your 7th and 12 cranial nerves

VII Facial cranial nerve
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_nerve

XII Hypoglossal cranial nerve
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_nerve
Sorry here is the corrected link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoglossal_nerve

If it continues you should mention it to your treating physician.

DHM

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 09:03:25 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Darin

• The Running Tumor
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 09:48:04 pm »
I had major throat/voice issues after my surgery. I was on a 'thickened liquid' diet for a day or two after my surgery. It's a gross gelatin-like substance they can add to water, juice, anything liquid to thicken beverages. I kept choking on everything for a week or so. What helped me was realizing that small bites or sips were still way too big to swallow. I had to make an extra effort to really take TINY sips and bites of everything. It took forever to eat, and it'd take so long for me to chew that I would just get sick of trying to eat and give up. Since I had surgery and you had GK(I think) it's caused by different things, but the end result maybe the same. I have no idea on if swallow issues are normal with GK etc. though. OK, I just reread your post, and maybe my situation is hardly related at all...good luck  :)
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!

cathyW

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 09:11:26 am »
Hello
I have a swallowing problem sometimes, though not when eating. It is when I am stressed/anxious or even just bang out of the blue. I get into a cycle of swallowing, panicking because I can't breath properly, swallowing to clear my throat, panicking. I read somewhere that I was disrupting the natural rhythm of the body. Once I realised this it hardly ever happens.
Hope this helps a little.
Cathy
1.5cm AN removed 19th August 2008. SSD, tinnitus, a little facial weakness after op that has almost gone 5 weeks post op.

Patti

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 05:54:03 am »
i had surgery, so i am not sure if your situation is the same.  i was on the thick liquid diet for 6 weeks.  lost 25 lbs.  unfortunately almost all back in a few years.  swallowing is still an issue since i have no feeling on half my lips, tongue, teeth and throat.  i choke easily.  it is more of  problem when i swim.  water goes down the wrong tube.  anyway-there are nerves to the throat affected by ANs.  yours could be.  you may want to talk to your doctor.  best of luck.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015