Author Topic: AN surgery 6 years ago - pain after packing/lifting boxes  (Read 2319 times)

kippy6

AN surgery 6 years ago - pain after packing/lifting boxes
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:09:57 am »
I'm a new employee at a school (paraprofessional in Special Education). I helped pack up our classroom all day on Thursday...probably around 100 boxes. Some pretty heavy. My head has been hurting off and on over the AN surgery site since then. Yesterday I went for a jog for the first time in a long time. And now my head is really hurting for no reason. I have been pretty much pain free for the past 6 years, so I don't understand why it is hurting now. I should be able to pack boxes and move them 5-6 feet without hurting my head, right? Gonna go lie down now.

Karen
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: AN surgery 6 years ago - pain after packing/lifting boxes
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 11:57:48 am »
Hi, Karen ~

I underwent AN debulking surgery at approximately the same time you did (summer, 2006) and, like you, have not experienced headaches as a result of lifting things, although I do try to avoid really strenuous lifting and have noticed a slight 'pulling' sensation in my incision area when I've lifted something quite heavy (over 50 pounds).

Your headache seems to be fairly severe and unrelenting and I assume you've tried taking OTC medications. I won't speculate on the cause except to advise that if your headache persists, I would consider contacting your doctor.  The headache may well have nothing to do with your AN surgery but could be an indicator of some other condition - or just a combination of things (unaccustomed bending & lifting, even stress).

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
Re: AN surgery 6 years ago - pain after packing/lifting boxes
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 07:47:26 am »
I wish I had an answer why after all that time to happen now but for me it will be almost 3 years now and I have had that problem all along and thought it is suppose to happen but for you to experience it now and never had it before I would definitely mention it to your doctor and sure it is nothing but rather be safe. Just had another thought is this the first time since your surgery that you have handle anything this heavy before?.. Good luck.

Best Wishes,
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 07:51:21 am by pjb »
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.