Author Topic: does your hair fall out  (Read 3150 times)

dpericoni

does your hair fall out
« on: June 20, 2005, 10:01:18 pm »
A friend said that he thought your hair falls out with Gamma Knife radiation. I have a 5mm by 8mm AN and I am thinking that GK is the way for me to go. But, I haven't seen anything written on hair loss. dpericoni

Joy

Re: does your hair fall out
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 06:07:41 am »
I had Gamma Knife done last October 2004.  So far the only hair missing is where the screws were attached to my head.  Too my knowledge you should not lose hair.
Smile, God loves you!

kbwright

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 11:33:33 am »
I had gamma knife last March and there has not been any hair loss. I was told this would not happen because it is actually an low dose of radiation, compared to cancer treatments, it is very low. After the treatment the whole left side of the top of my head was numb for about a week. That rather alarmed me, and I called the Neurosurgeon with the concern that my hair would fall out. They felt that the numbness was from the anesthesia for the headframe screws and that the screws probably hit a nerve across my head. The numbness did go away and all is well.... except my balance. With the gamma knife treatment on a small tumor you will not have the many side effects that happen with surgery. You have made a good choice.

Best Wishes! :)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 07:19:58 am »
No hair loss for me either...  Can't even see where the screws were that mounted the frame to the front of the head.  Painless too!
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!