Author Topic: nigthmares??? Booger's revenge???  (Read 4189 times)

tenai98

nigthmares??? Booger's revenge???
« on: April 16, 2009, 09:55:33 pm »
ANyone else sufferr from nightmares post surgery???? No problems falling asleep but then I wak with a start from toture chamber. Last nght it was a school janitor  along with Jerry Lee Lewis wantin to operate on me and tonight the doc wanted a compllete lobotomy.  Damn scarry...Now I dont want to sleep which I know I need. Maybe its the amount of food I ingest b4 bed...Been really hungry and eating alot. Only one more (.5 tablet) of decadrom in morning...I hope it all settles down
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

anissa

• My Journey
Re: nigthmares??? Booger's revenge???
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 10:13:03 pm »
Oh NO!  That is scary!  I found that I couldn't eat sugar before bed (I looooove my ice cream!).  Its probably the decadron, I hope the nightmares subside after that gets out of your system!  Sweet dreams tonight for you!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

alwaysthere

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 12:03:32 am »
Jo

I haven't had surgery yet. But back in Jan when I was in the hospital with what they thought was a brain bleed and headaches from hell I had one night like that. Everytime I closed my eyes I swear the demons where after me. It was so bad that I would lay there and say the lord's prayer and tell them to go get someone else and leave me alone. My husband thought it was funny and the nurse said it was all the drugs in me. I was so full of morphine at that time it would make you believe anything. I do know that I never want to go thru that again. It's no fun.

Patty
Diagnosed 1/09 1.6cm left side
5/09 2cm
hearing & balance problems
Surgery Date June 25, 2009 St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Mn
Surgery went great, can still hear!!!!

"This too shall come to pass and life will go on"

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 12:08:11 am »
Jo,
I'm not sleeping much, but when I do, I have had a few memories of strange occurrences in recent thought patterns.  I have just a few more days of decadron, too, so let's both hope for improvement in sleep and thoughts.
I am hoping the decadron will do its job and make this facial/eye issue temporary as suggested by the surgeons.
Good luck.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

joebloggs

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 01:04:27 am »
Hi Jo,

I had a couple of bad nights when I was on the steroids - bad nightmares and would wake up with my hair all wet which is nice... must have been a good nightmare!

Not having them now that I'm off the roids.

Cheers
JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 05:47:51 am »
Oh, yes, Jo!  I had very bad decadron-induced nightmares, like horrible things happening to my kids, kind of nightmares.  Had other issues as well with that stuff - was so glad to get off.  But, I know it was a necessary evil, that did its job, but I was quite disturbed while on it :-[

You do sound like you're doing really well otherwise, though  - I'm so glad!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 07:26:59 am »
No nightmares with the steroids here, but then I didn't sleep all that much, day or night  ;D

I agree with the others though, that it is likely caused by the meds.  The steroids can take a few days to be out of your system even after you stop taking them, so keep one eye open at night for that janitor!  ;)

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 07:35:19 am »
I had HORRIBLE nightmares - I even SLAPPED Dave when he was trying to calm me out of one!! :o

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 08:16:20 am »
I remember having very strange dreams when I finally started sleeping.  I wasn't on any drugs stronger than Excedrin, but I think a lack of sleep caused the change from happy dreams to quirky ones.  They went away as I settled into regular sleep patterns.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 08:47:23 am »
Jo,
  The nightmares are most likely due to the 'roids.  I had them too while in the hospital post surgery. 
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 02:52:35 pm »
I can't say that I've ever had a nightmare, but Jenni tells me that even now (almost a year later) that I have these pretty violent fits at night like I am having a nightmare, but I never remember having one..

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 04:00:53 pm »
Hi Jo,

Sorry your having nightmares.

Scarlett is remembering her dreams now, where she didn't before, and when she does it usually is accompanied with a major headache.  Yesterday at the Brunch, at Maxwell's in MA., she mentioned it to Bob (Stoneaxe) and Joe (Joe Meehan) and they seem to have dream issues also.  Hopefully, yours will stop being the scary kind.

Hope your follow-up went well today,

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 01:39:26 pm »
As Rick mentioned, I've been having very vivid dreams...not nightmares...oftentimes very pleasant. I never used to remember my dreams. I think it might be related to the topomax I'm on for headaches. The timing seems to correlate.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 10:28:26 pm »
I've always had absolutely spectacular and vivid dreams.

I had one last night that is too disturbing to talk about, yet sophisticated enough to be written into a Hollywood thriller movie script.

Here is an example of one that I had when I was in the process of becoming ill with the AN and had yet to be diagnosed:

I am in a bookstore occupying the top floor of a high rise building, overlooking a spectacular panoramic cityscape bathed in the radiant red and orange light of sunset. As I'm standing before a window marveling at the awesome beauty and magnitude of the scene I'm also deeply impressed with the progress of civilization. It then occurs to me that all is not well in this seeming paradise and that there are problems just as enormous and deadly as the sweeping panorama before me is beautiful. I become filled with a subtle dread. Turning away from the window there is a man, apparently a cashier or clerk, sitting behind a counter. I asked him a simple question that, while outwardly couldn't be more vague and bare boned, was, in my mind, concerning not only the condition of humanity but also the state of my personal health, as I was in the process of becoming ill with a brain tumor at that time. I asked him, "Are we all right?" Without missing a beat he answered flatly and in a very clipped and matter-of-fact manner, "No".
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 07:37:05 pm »
I tried. Sorry I opened my mouth....
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.