Author Topic: newbie  (Read 5478 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: newbie
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 10:50:17 pm »

My understanding is they have these "magical" wands that allow them to put them on your head where the implant will go and you can "hear" what the implant will do all of the time (when wearing the processor).  They also have wristband type gadgets that do the same thing.

You're kidding, right Pooter  ???

The BAHA demo is a processor (tiny hearing aid) attached to an elastic headband.  It's the best they can do to give you an idea of how the real thing works - short of implanting a titanium rod into your skull  :D

I have never heard of a wristband type gadget demo.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 07:37:39 am »
Jan - goto the BAHA website. I am almost positive I saw both things there. Perhaps they took out more brain during sugery tho. ;)

I just went to the BAHA website, and I see the "wand" that I mentioned, but I don't see the wristband, so perhaps my mind just made that up after seeing the BAHA for Kids section.  *shrug*  Here's the link btw, http://products.cochlearamericas.com/baha/baha-sound-processors-and-implants/audio-accessories.  The "Test Rod" was what I was referring to.  Not sure where I got the wristband idea in my head though.

Regards,

Brian
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 11:53:56 am by Pooter »
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

teffaz

• We read to know we're not alone.
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 10:58:34 pm »
Dear Pooter/Brian:
Oh, my goodness!  I just read your AN story on your blog site.  Thank you so much. This is just what I have been looking for!  (I've been wondering: What is it REALLY going to be like in four weeks when I have translab surgery?)  I think I have a better idea now, though I totally acknowledge that everyone is different, and yours was a particularly difficult journey!

Continue to get better!! And give Jenni my best!

Teff
1.5 cm. x .5 cm AN
translab May 2009
SSD (before surgery as well as after)
grateful for incredible surgeons: Dr. Porter & Dr. Syms
Barrow Neurological Institute; Phoenix

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 02:42:46 pm »
Tuff,

I am glad that my story at my blog was useful to you. It's purpose is exactly what you got out of it. It makes me happy to hear that it has been helpful to you.  You are right that each of us is different, but that doesn't mean yours will be any better or worse. A key for me was having the unyielding support of those close to me, like Jenni.

Good luck with your surgery later this month.

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager