Author Topic: reoccuring AN  (Read 2714 times)

tarico1949

reoccuring AN
« on: May 17, 2013, 01:19:25 pm »
Has anyone had an AN come back after first surgery?   

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: reoccuring AN
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 02:40:46 pm »
Yes.  Assuming that no tumor cells were deliberately left due to the risk of nerve involvement, the re-growth rate post-op is somewhere around 5-10%, depending on the individual.  I believe that Retrosigmoid Approach surgery has the highest re-growth rate.  A 'fresh' MRI will tell you if there has been re-growth.  If so, radiation is usually offered unless the growth is too large or too close to the brain stem.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: reoccuring AN
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 03:16:13 pm »
Hi tarico1949 and welcome to this forum .....

I am one of those in the 5-10% range who experienced regrowth following retrosigmoid approach surgery for removal of a 2.6 cm AN.  The surgeon was confident he had totally excised the tumor so it truly was a rare case to regrow.

The original surgery was in 2008 and a second surgery was done for the regrowth (1.3 cm) in 2011, via translabyrinthine approach.

I am doing very well, by the way ..... no facial involvement and able to do everything I want to do.  I am single side deaf but have a great assist from my Oticon Medical Ponto Pro bone-anchored hearing assist.

If you have specific questions, let us know. 

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011