Author Topic: New Study on Risk Factors for ANs  (Read 2891 times)

Ellen K

New Study on Risk Factors for ANs
« on: February 14, 2012, 10:50:05 am »
Hi All - I found this study fascinating. 
The abstract is here: http://d-scholarship.pitt.edu/10555/
3mm diagnosed December 2010 when I was 45. Very unusual presentation - severe vertigo, then dizziness daily, now just occasional dizziness, but it can be debilitating some days. No hearing loss! But yes to ear fullness and wonky brain. Watch and wait.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: New Study on Risk Factors for ANs
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 12:24:48 pm »
Interesting. 

I fit two of the criteria - caucasian and managerial occupation.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 12:41:19 pm »
I fit most of the 'risk factors' mentioned but I also find this sentence at the conclusion of the study to be highly significant: "The epidemiology and risk factors of vestibular schwannoma are poorly understood"  I agree. 

Although I appreciate the work involved in this study and would welcome the research the doctors recommend, I also have to question the findings of this study as being much more than an educated guess - and I believe the doctors involved would probably admit that.  Still, any research into the epidemiology of ANs is appreciated, even if it isn't conclusive.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lrobie

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 01:34:16 pm »
I always wondered about the frequent dental x-rays.  Along with my share of cavities, I was in a rollover car accident at the age of 14.  Flew out the back window and landed in a gravelled driveway.  Anyhow, broke two of my front teeth and have had tons of x-rays with that, crowns and replacement crowns...   ;D

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 02:34:00 pm »
I read the risk factors and concluded that they were largely a result of socioeconomic conditions, and peoples behaviour.

Caucasian
If you are caucasian, the average caucasian in the US is better off financially, and has a higher level of education.
Being better off financially also gives you access to better healthcare and MRI machines.
If you are financially better off, you are more likely to visit a dentist regularly and get more dental X-Rays.
If you chip a tooth, you will get an xray and get it fixed. If you have a tooth ache, same thing.
If you are poor, you may not get that chipped tooth fixed, or you may wait until your tooth is so rotten that it is extracted without an xray.
There is a lot of missed diagnosis for AN's, and if you just accept what your doctor says there is a much higher chance that you will remain misdiagnosed for many more years. People in lower socio economic conditions are more likely to accept the opinion of an authority figure like a doctor. He is a doctor after all he should know!

Hayfever
There is a link between hayfever/asthma and a number of autoimmune diseases and the amount of exposure to allergens when you were a young child. If your house was clean, and you didn't  share your house with 5 unwashed dogs and 10 cats, and you didnt live on a farm, your chance of getting hayfever is higher.
Socioeconomic factors again influence the incidence of hayfever.

Managerial.
Yep I fit that category too.
We tell people what to do all day, we seek out answers to problems, and instruct our staff to follow instructions.
When we see a doctor, we are more likely to do something similar. We are more likely to take control, get a second opinion, research the internet, push for answers and get that MRI. If your in a managerial position youare  probably less likely to accept a misdiagnosis and are more likely to exhibit proactive behaviour.
As a manager you also have far better access to MRI's and healthcare
We also have the money to look after our teeth so we will end up with more xrays.

So while I am sure that these appear to be risk factors, it probably has more to do with the self selecting nature of AN patients.

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 02:45:38 pm »
Very interesting study.

I fit all of the risk factors:  caucasian; professional career; massive doses of radium as a teenager & dental x-rays every six months from age 30 on; hay fever as a child/young person; family history of cancer.  Guess I was destined .....   :'(

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 02:53:14 pm »
Paul

Thanks for your post. You were gentler in your response that I would have been. I saw the article and just kind of gagged at the poor analysis, especially since it comes down to, "We don't really ahve a good answer, so give us money and we'll do another study."

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 03:19:29 pm »
Paul -

some excellent points on self selecting nature.

Personally I still subscribe to the theory that ANs - like other things in life - just happen.  I truly don't feel there is any rhyme or reason as to why some of us are "gifted" with them.

I also feel that ANs are more prevalent that doctors and patients realize.  I believe that lots of people go to their graves undiagnosed since unless an AN causes "problems" most people don't typically get an MRI of their IACs.  And in addition, lots of the "problems" that do become evident can be attributed to other medical issues or aging (especially in the case of diminished hearing). 

Jan
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:24:08 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways