Author Topic: Food and tinnitus  (Read 2088 times)

edbcar

• AN 13mm
Food and tinnitus
« on: November 11, 2008, 07:43:18 am »
I have read on a couple of posts that eating/ excluding certian foods can have an effect on the loudness and regularity of certian peoples tinnitus. Can anyone advise on their personal findings or what they have been told by health professionals, also any links to info might be a help. I was just wondering if a post could br made from info people provide to help newbees with their diet choices
 Brooks

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: Food and tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 11:46:09 am »
Brooks,

My audiologist advised me that eliminating alcohol and caffeine consumption would reduce the tinnitus. I cut out the alcohol almost a 1 yr ago and am working on reducing my caffeine consumption. So far, no change.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 04:29:23 pm »
Brooks:

Tinnitus is a very common issue with AN patients but it can be caused by a wide variety of things, including aspirin, caffeine and even high blood pressure.  Millions suffer with tinnitus and there are myriad treatments - but no 'cure'.  I don't imbibe much alcohol and don't smoke but I do drink a lot of coffee - and I don't drink decaf, either.  My tinnitus is constant but quite low-level and on the few occasions I've been deprived of coffee, I never saw a difference.  However, we're all unique.

Here is a link to one of many medical websites that address tinnitus: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003043.htm.  I hope it is helpful to you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

texsooner

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 06:14:46 pm »
I'm definitely no doctor or expert, but I have serious doubts about moderate intake of caffeine and/or alcohol comsumption having anything to do with experiencing tinnitus or making it worse. I'm 48 and since my mid 20's, I've had coffee every day and moderate amounts of alchohol. I believe it was about 3 years ago, that I started to have tinnitus as I suppose that's when my AN started making itself known to me(even though I had no idea what an AN was then, and didn't until I went to an ENT  in June of this year). Anyway, this is just my opinion of course.....as Jim says everyone is different.

My tinnitus is annoying at times(usually just when I think about it), but I would have a hard decision to make if it was proven there was a direct correlation between my tinnitus and my morning coffee/evening glass of red wine!!

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 07:37:38 pm »
I notice a difference when I have too much caffeine.  It gets a bit louder.  Noisy places makes it louder.  Stress and anxiety seem to make it louder.  It is not a constant stream of the same noise, for me.  It can vary, depending on my activities and caffeine intake.  I'm sure it must have something to do with blood pressure.  It's an annoyance that I wish would go away completely, but I am sure I am saddled with this hisssss for the rest of my life.  Maybe on my tombstone, if I have one, it can say, "Peace and Quiet, At Last!"

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode