Author Topic: Another surgery  (Read 1661 times)

Raven

Another surgery
« on: November 14, 2007, 02:22:25 pm »
Well, both my Dr.s just called me and want me to come in tomorrow morning to do surgery on the right side. Basically it is another middle fossa approach, however the tumor will not be removed but the bony canal will be enlarged to prevent swelling. They beleive this is the best thing to do to help my right side hearing. I really don't have any other choices, I need to have my right side hearing back as my left side is totaly gone. I was recovering so well. Should not be nearly as long as the 12hr. operation last week. Hey I had to go back any way to get my staples out anyway, right?

Take care evrybody and I will talk to you soon

John
7/10/07 hearing gone in left ear overnight
7/25/07 diagnosed with bilateral acoustic neuromas - aka NF2
11/7/07 left side tumor removal via middle fossa - 12 hrs.
11/15/07 right side decompression via middle fossa - 8 hrs.
Dr. Eisenman - University of Maryland Medical Center

lori67

Re: Another surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 02:31:11 pm »
That's a good way to look at it - you had to make the trip anyway!  Might as well have them fix everything while you're there.

Good luck to you and I hope after this you can really work on your recovery with no interruptions.
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Another surgery
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 03:28:30 pm »
Hi, John:

I'm sorry to learn of this obstacle in the path of your recovery but surgery (on the bony canal) seems reasonable as well as necessary.  I join everyone in wishing you an uninterrupted and uneventful recovery, from this point on.  Now, be sure to get the staples out.  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.