Author Topic: Newbie...I hate lima beans!  (Read 5262 times)

kristin

Re: Newbie...I hate lima beans!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 07:17:28 pm »
Hi Lisa,

The only symptom I had was vertigo and dizzyness too. And I agree...they are different. I had surgery April 14th, 2005 (almost 3 years!) with Dr. Brackmann (Middle Fossa).  After my surgery for a year or so, when I ran....the earth moved with me. Playing softball is very difficult as I can't run and see the ball at the same time. Now after a few years it's a little better playing ball. Life in general is ok. I have balance issues, but not vertigo or dizzyness. My main problem is not balance, but forgetfullness...I feel so dumb sometimes that I can't remember simple things.

Kristin

8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

robynabc

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 07:39:02 pm »
HI Lisa,

I know both of your doctors.  I spoke with Dr. Hagarty in Colorado Springs.  He did not think he could do my son's tumor and recomended our Doctors at University of Colorado.  I really appreciated his candor.  I know he did  someone elses tumor on this board years ago and I like him but I would not have him do a surgical procedure for AN because I don't think his experience is up there with CU Hospital and House. 

Dr. Cass is a doctor at CU Hospital and he does surgery with our DR.  Lillihei.  I would be surprised that either one of these doctors would come right out and disagree with another doctor but then again Dr Brackman came right out and disagreed with our Doctor so I asked them the difference and really it was helpful for me to decide the differences.  I did not like that Dr. Brackman was so adamant about our doctors decisions either.  I do know that many doctors have a preference as to what way they like to do it.  And our neurologist felt more comfortable with R/S. 

I think any doctor will want you to do what you want to do.  Anyway, that is the information I have for you about those two doctors.  Dr. Cass and Lillihei are fantastic.  And when you go with your docs at house you will probably have to transfer your post op care with someone here.  They would be a good choice for that too.  Good luck.  I hope that helps. 

Here is Cass's info.  Even though I know you have made your decision.  You absolutely have to go with what you feel best with.  No one can change that for you.

http://www.uchsc.edu/otolaryngology/faculty/Cass.html

And one more thing I would not ever have the docs at Swedish do surgery for AN.  They are not experienced enough.  I know that is blunt but I really, really feel it is true. THat is why I asked.  :)

Robyn
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 07:51:42 pm by robynabc »
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

Pembo

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 02:49:12 pm »
I had lots of dizziness before surgery. I remember a test in the surgeon's office where I had to walk in place with my eyes closed. I was amazed at how much I moved when I thought I had stood still. The dizziness was constant for me and made me nauseous. Somedays I could hardly get out of bed. (hard to do with 3 small kids).

I'm very happy to report that the dizziness is all gone after surgery. I had some vestibular issues right after surgery but they were expected as the brain learns to compensate for one nerve. I was given exercises and things improved. Today, almost 4 years later, I have no dizziness issues. My balance is alright but I don't think it was that great way before surgery. ;)

Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006