Author Topic: mathilda update  (Read 7085 times)

Mathilda

mathilda update
« on: October 19, 2008, 11:44:44 pm »
This message is being written by Mathilda's daughter.
Her Surgery went very well this last Thursday. The muscles are preserved and her hearing was saved. She is very happy about all of this even though she is very tired.  It was also a delight for her to meet Chari and Mike and wishes them well. Thank you all for your prayers! They have really helped a lot.
Diagnosed in 2006. Recent growth from 7 to 11mm.
Middle fossa surgery at House Ear Clinic on October 16th 2008.
With the results I hoped for: hearing saved; no facial problems.
Just wobbly headed; in need of patience ;)

cindyj

Re: mathilda update
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 05:59:35 am »
Thanks so much, Mathilda's daughter!  Have been thinking of her and hoping everything went well last week, and it sounds like it did!  Great news that her hearing was preserved!  Please give her my best.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:31:12 am »
Thanks - we were all wondering!!  Give a big hug from us all.  Are you the daughter from Texas?  I live in Texas...
Hope things continue to keep getting better!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

NL

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 11:47:47 am »
Thanks so much for the update! So glad that your mom's surgery went well! She'll need her rest for the next few weeks, but will continue to feel better every day.

Continued wishes for s speedy recovery!

Nancy L
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

lori67

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 11:51:41 am »
Great news!  Thanks for taking the time to let us know.  We all appreciate that!

I hope mom is feeling better and better every day!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 12:45:08 pm »
Thanks so much for the update.  Please tell your mom that Marci from Ohio is sending her best wishes.
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 01:21:47 pm »
Thanks for the update.  I'm glad to hear the surgery went well.  I'm sending best wishes for a speedy, uneventful recovery.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 10:02:43 pm »
Wow - muscles preserved and hearing saved - can't ask for more than that  ;D

Thanks for the update, Mathilda's daughter.  We were all wondering how your mom was doing.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 02:26:35 pm »
Hooray for Mathilda!!  May the recovery be fast and uneventful.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Mathilda

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 12:52:27 pm »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your kind words. I'm doing great ! Cannot be more thankful for my wonderful results !  Hearing is great (had a test yesterday). Face doing well (a little numbness but that's normal I guess); starting to be able to sleep again at night. Scar seems to be healing OK. Just a little funky appearance with the question mark shaved in my very short hair (easy to deal with though; it gets people to talk to you). We're staying with some wonderful people in the Highlands of the Pacific Palisades; nice and quiet, beach at 6 minutes!
What more can I want for !
The first days after surgery went by in a haze; hardly remember anything. The 3rd and 4th day were miserable and from then on most days are a little better than the day before. Driving in the car is the hardest thing so far. I still feel as if my eyes are wobbling around on the water. But I guess it's just all part of the whole thing. Patience is a good thing but not always easy to come by. I've set a goal to be "normal" again around Christmas time. No pushing or shoving until then!
Thanks to all of you for your positive input on this forum. It has been highly appreciated.
I'll make sure that Cindy  will get the magic scarf next week. It has done the trick for me!

Take care, love
Mathilda

NL

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 01:39:21 pm »
Hi Mathilda,

You sound as though you are doing great for two weeks out of surgery! I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you when you were at St. Vincent's. I had my surgery there in early August and met with Cheri the day before she had hers. I'll see Cindy next week, so maybe our paths will still cross.

Enjoy your stay and continue to take it easy - the Palisades are a great place to recuperate!

Wishing you a smooth and uneventful recovery!

Nancy
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 06:01:45 pm »
Mathilda-

Did I read that right - are you already driving??  You GO girl!  ;D

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Mathilda

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 11:12:50 am »
Well, technically not driving but riding I guess  :D
It's getting better though!

The Dutch cookies are called :  STROOPWAFELS   and I agree; they are yummy especially if you put one in the microwave for 9 seconds before eating it. If you ever go to the Netherlands and visit a market you can very often buy them freshly baked. Mmmmm! Just one more week and I'll be home again.

Nancy, when are you seeing Cindy?  We're hoping to meet her on Wednesday the 5th, either at around 11 am or 5 pm somewhere close to the (Santa Monica?) beach. Maybe we can pm about it?

Mathiilda

cindyj

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 03:46:32 pm »
Hey Mathilda!

Just talked w/ Nancy and looks like we'll see you Wed afternoon at the beach!  Can't wait to see you and Nancy...and the Magic Scarf, and then the rest of the LA gang on Thursday!  I'm feeling guilty about all this fun it looks like I'm going to have prior to surgery  ::)  I sent you my cell # in my last PM to you...call if anything needs to change.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend out there!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

NL

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 03:51:13 pm »
Hi Mathilda,

I just PM'd you with details and my home phone number. Glad we'll have a chance to meet before you go back to the Netherlands!

Nancy