Author Topic: Incision in belly????  (Read 7665 times)

JAndrews

Re: Incision in belly????
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 06:59:16 pm »
belly fat is a great way to prevent a CSF leak,
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

a.m.

• recording in mono.
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 07:22:39 pm »
so i've had 2 surgeries and now have 2 scars!

the first is very long and right under my belly button. i am thin and lost even more weight before the operation from being sick, so the dr's didn't anticipate not finding enough fat which is why there's such a big scar. i didn't wear a bathing suit for a year but now i don't care :)

the second operation they took it from my left thigh and that was a nice tiny incision.

just some thoughts for other undernourished people ;)
diagnosed feb. 6, 2009

retrolab april 2, 2009
new york eye and ear / st vincent's
dr. linstrom and dr. murali
ssd, no tears

translab may 5, 2010
nyu medical center
dr. lalwani and dr. parker

doing great!

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 02:53:37 pm »
I have very low body fat because I eat the right foods and exercise, but they did find some. It left a 2 1/2" scar just to the right of my belly button. They installed a drain in the wound for 2 days, and put one stitch in when  the drain was removed. It is an ugly little scar. It does not bother me, but if I was a young female, it would be a bad place. I would ask the doc to find an area that would not show if you are going to wear swim suit.

sarahinPA

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 06:29:07 am »
The dOctor used a thing called gel foam for me, he said it will eventually dissolve and tissues will grow around it over time. He believed that the swelling of this may be the cause of my throat swelling, he thinks this nerve may be being effected. Without going back in, he can't be certain for sure, but an MRI I got while at the hospital showed some nerve swelling that area.  O had the csf drain for a few days and had a small stitch when they tool it out. Sitch was removed before leaving the hospital :)
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

iluuvpups

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 03:02:09 am »
My doctor did the belly fat thing.  I also had staples and a drain.  My scar is highly visible, thick, long, and is at an angle.  The edges of mine are jagged.  Maybe they used a bread knife with seratted edges.  Mine is in the middle of my stomach - not on the right or the left.

I always thought mine didn't look like very professional.  I think I've now confirmed that by reading everyone's replies.

On the upside, and I'm sure most of you have heard these.. but I can attest to the fact that I am a fathead.  And when people say something like "I need that like I need a hole in my head", I reply that I already have one, thank you.  :-)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:03:55 am by iluuvpups »
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

Rick Everingham

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 09:03:43 pm »
I too had a translab and had belly fat used to fill the void.  3" scar, pretty obvious but no spinal fluid leaks which was far more important to me than another scar!
1.5x1x1.2cm AN surgically removed by Tans Lab Jul 30, 2003, McGuire VA Hospital in Richmond, VA.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 02:24:59 am »
I had the fat plug done as well (Middle fossa)...although I experienced no pain or issues with the incision, I did end up with a pretty healthy looking scar out of the deal...kinda weird  ???
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston