Author Topic: baha died  (Read 7242 times)

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
baha died
« on: February 23, 2014, 09:15:03 pm »
So, all of the sudden my BAHA is dead.  Tried different batteries to no avail.  When I put the battery in, the light flickers foe a minute, but the device is dead! Has anyone had this happen?  I emailed my audiologist and will wait for a response, but in the meanwhile, has anyone else experienced this?
Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: baha died
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 09:48:11 am »
Mine is almost 4 years old. Never happened to me. Do you still have a BP110? There is a small conductor that is spring loaded in the bottom of the battery area. When you put a battery in, it pushes the conductor down, and the conductor pushes back up against the battery. Perhaps the conductor has been pushed down enough that it has lost its ability to spring back up.

Is it still under warranty? If not, and if it were me, I might use a tooth pick and press against the conductor to see if it will compress. If it is flat, I might bend it back up just a teeny tiny bit to make full contact with the battery. Your conductors might have a small amount of tarnish on them, and just cleaning them off with a Q-tip might help...just like keeping the battery terminals in your car clean.

Keep us informed.

James

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 10:15:07 pm »
Thanks! I'll try that. My warranty for the 110 was up in November, so the repair would cost $495!!!
Thanks and I will keep you posted!
Dale
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

james e

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 11:47:12 pm »
I wonder how they might determine  the repair is $495 without seeing your BAHA? I needed to have the rear seal replaced on my BP100 twice under warranty. Out of curiosity, I asked what it cost if I was out of warranty...$495...interesting! Wonder is $495 is just a made up predetermined amount for any repair?

James

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 01:14:13 am »
James,
I think that is just a predetermined amount for repairs out of warranty.  I was told, however, that I would be billed through UCSD, not Cochlear.
Dale
Tarzana, CA

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 11:59:44 pm »
Update: So I found out the $495 was a fee shared by UCSD with Cochlear.  Since UCSD was not really doing anything in this case, I decided I should not be paying them for anything!  I called Cochlear directly.  Their repair cost is $395, BUT....when they heard I am on Medicare now, they said that Medicare part B plus my supplement should cover the cost!  So I went from $495 out of pocket to nothing out of pocket.  YIPPEE!!!  They are getting authorization from Medicare and my supplement and think that will take a couple of days.  They will get a letter of medical necessity from UCSD and then send me instructions for mailing in the BAHA.  This is a much better outcome than I expected!  I did try to move the compressor around a bit myself, but it made no difference, so I trust Cochlear will do an outstanding repair job!

When I go back for my next audiogram, I will look into the upgrade.  I believe Medicare will pay for that as well.  I LOVE Medicare!
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

Brewers7

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 02:15:38 pm »
Cochlear sent me a spare unit.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

james e

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 02:40:41 pm »
I have always had excellent service from Cochlear. They even sent a rep from Cochlear on one of my appointments to get my BAHA reprogramed. Glad to hear Medicare is helping take care of the problem. The control switches on top of my BP100, which is almost 4 years old, are looking pretty run down. Pretty sure they will need to be replaced soon. I am on Medicare also so thanks for spreading the news.

James

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 02:35:33 pm »
I'm a little late on this post, Dale, but did you make sure the battery is making contact with the unit correctly?  Sometimes if you don't have "contact" the lights will flash then go out even if the battery is brand new.

Cochlear has excellent service - and is also very good with repairs.  They typically pay for postage (Fed Ex) round-trip so make sure you get their Fed Ex account number.

If your processor requires programming, they can send it directly to your audiologist; if it doesn't, they will return it directly to you.  They ask you where you want it returned when you contact them for service.

Good luck,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 10:56:08 pm »
Thanks, Jan. Yes I did play around with it and it appears good contact is being made. I'm waiting to hear back from Cochlear with Medicare approval and shipping info. They said it could take a few days. Strange feeling not wearing the BAHA for a while!!!!
Dale
Tarzana, CA

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 05:30:02 pm »
So, even though I have experienced good customer service with Cochlear in the past, this time has been a struggle.  My doctor faxed back the letter of medical necessity and Cochlear claimed they never got it.  My doctor's office got confirmation that the fax went through.  So, through my audiologist, I had to have another form signed and faxed again to Cochlear.  Someone called and left me a message today with an RNA number, the fedex account number and phone number, but did not leave me an address to mail my BAHA.  I called back the number she left me and was on hold for 35 minutes.  I finally hung up and called the other number I had.  The person answering the phone was very helpful in giving me the address, but this shouldn't be such a hassle!
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 05:12:33 pm »
Finally sent my BAHA yesterday, FEDEX overnight.  The great news is they fixed it today and already shipped it back to me.  I will have it tomorrow.
THAT is good customer service!
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

james e

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 08:29:20 am »
Regarding Cochlear's excellent service, let me tell you of my recent experience. My BAHA is almost 4 years old and is out of warranty. The three controls for the BAHA are located on the top of it, and they are covered by a flexible plastic cover to keep moisture and dirt out. The cover just wore out and I knew it had to be sent in to Cochlear for repair, but wanted to avoid the cost. Darlene's post about medicare covering most of the cost led me to calling Cochlear.

Suprise, suprise Gomer Pyle used to say. I spoke to a customer service rep, did not mention medicare, and explained that the plastic cover need to be replaced. She looked up my file and said  Cochlear would repair the cover...NO CHARGE...just send it in. She gave me their FedEX account number and told me to have it shipped overnight at their expense. I dropped it off Monday and it was back in my hands at 8:30 Wednesday morning.

Suprise, suprise again. It looks like they totally rebuilt it. Everything about it looks brand new. The case looks new. All of the seals are new. The plastic attachment that snaps into the abutment is new. The battery cover is new.

I do not know what the company policy is, but this service far exceeded what I expected. Just thought I might share my experience.

James

mellowrama

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 12:20:46 pm »
I had to have my baha post removed a couple of years ago - so I'm happy to give away a like new BAHA.  If interested just message me...
melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011