Author Topic: Baha fit and feedback  (Read 3695 times)

palex

Baha fit and feedback
« on: August 17, 2011, 11:08:04 am »
I am new to posting, but have been reading for about a year and a half now.  I had my AN surgery August 2010 and have been wearing my BAHA since November 2010.  My hair is long and I find that when I get strands of hair caught under the BAHA I get lots of feedback.  It is usually fixed by removing the BAHA, clearing the hair and reattaching it.   Also, if I run my fingers through my hair, near the skull and near the BAHA site (which I tend to do absentmindedly) I have had several occasions where the BAHA has popped off.  It has fallen to the ground a few times, but always seems to continue working.  (Thank goodness!) Sometimes it seems to pop off so easily I wonder if the fit needs to be adjusted.  Does anyone else have issues with the BAHA coming off or feedback issues?  Thank you.

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Re: Baha fit and feedback
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 11:59:41 am »
Why don't you wear the clip on line attached to your baha and the shirt?  This would save the BAHA from falling to the floor too many and less damage to the unit.  Yes, after frequent falls to the floor would damage the unit in time and will need to be sent back for repairs.  Your BAHA is under warranty for two years for theft, loss, and damage from the date you got plugged in(not the surgery date).   As for the feedback,  it is normal for the unit to give feedback if you touch it.  It has a microphone on the side of the unit.  You might want to consider cutting your hair short if it becomes an issue with your BAHA and feedback problem. It's best to clear away your hair when attaching your BAHA.   I have long hair and it covers both of my BAHA with no problems.
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 07:34:16 am »
You shouldn't let your hair get caught underneath your processor.  Before you attach it, make sure your hair is not in the way.

I'm not in the habit of running my fingers through my hair, but I haven't had my processor "pop off" since I first started wearing it over 3 years ago - and it didn't really pop off.  It happened twice; once when it encountered the door frame of my van and the other time when my son was waving his hands around wildly at dinner and I was sitting next to him (he inadvertently hit my head).

My best advice is to get out of the habit of running your fingers through your hair when wearing your processor - probably a hard habit to break if you've done that for years.  Or, you can wear the "fishing line" as Ken suggests.

Either way, I'd do something.  It's not good for your processor to fall to the ground.  Although you say it hasn't been damaged, it could have damage you can't see.  Or it may be fine now, but a few more falls to the ground could damage it.  You also face the possibility of something happening to it when it's on the ground - someone stepping on it, etc.

Your processor in an expensive investment - even if your insurance company paid for it (because chances are they won't pay for another for at least 5 years) - you need to take care of it.

Feedback issues are normal when your processor encounters a solid object - back of the couch, your hand, etc., - but you may be able to have it programmed to ignore most, if not all, feedback.  For example, I can reach up and touch my processor without it making any noise; it's all in the way it's programmed.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 11:31:39 am »
Good answers already.

Only time mine has come off unexpectedly was getting into the car and catching it on the doorframe.  It landed in my lap fortunately.  Now I am extra careful getting into and out of a car.

Just touching mine does not create feedback, unless I completely cover the microphones with a cupped hand.  Funny story:  my husband was sitting next to me at the table, reached over to put his arm around my shoulders ..... I put my head in his shoulder and SQUEAL ..... reduced us to giggles ..... another "new normal" event.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011