Author Topic: IRONMAN Triathlon  (Read 7675 times)

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
IRONMAN Triathlon
« on: May 26, 2010, 08:49:33 am »
Wasn't sure where to post this, "balance issues" seemed to be the appropriate space.
I am attempting my first Ironman Triathlon in Cour de'Lane this June. post op 11/06. Doing a Raffle to raise money for a grassroots EMS agency in El Salvador. Been a long trip, but am almost done. This forum was essential in the first year of my recovery and I want to thank you all.

More info @ this blog.

http://www.salvamento.org/blog/?p=2296&lang=en[/size][/b]
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: IRONMAN Triathlon
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 12:29:25 pm »
Ixta ~

Congratulations on your excellent recovery following your endoscopic surgery at SBI in 2006.  I hope you do well in the Iron Man Triathlon and raise lots of money for the charity.  Thanks for the words of appreciation for the website and forums, too.  We love success stories and yours is one of those - so the gratitude goes both ways.  :)

Jim      
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 02:31:05 pm »
Finished it. IM CDA June 27th 2010/AN Resected 11/26/06.

RESULTS: Men

1. Andy Potts (Colorado Springs CO) 8:24:40
2. Courtney Ogden (AUS) 8:38:17
3. Michael Lovato (Boulder CO) 8:41:17
1592. Ixta (Wenatchee WA) 14:31:16

My bike is the one near the tree..

That’s me in the red cap on the beach.

Here I am again, the one swimming.

I don’t know what this guy was thinking. You only live once. He was at mile 18 here on the marathon. He was baking his brain. Inspiring. Humor gets you through. Best sign I saw was "Kick ass, not Crack ass!"

@ Mile 18 or so of the run, right behind Elmo. I cannot let Elmo beat me.

Athletic diversity.

This is how many people finish.

Me with my new baby. New law does not allow family members in the chute.

With Winner Andy Potts the next day. He barely beat me,- by about 5 hours.

Thanks for all the support AN community.

Life is an 80 year trip. Then it's over. Do what you can.

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 03:25:33 pm »
Hi, Ixta,

Congratulations on your speedy recovery,  new baby and being so fit that you can run triathlons! My recovery was longer but the entire process - surgery itself and the recovery period- was so much simpler than the first time that I do not regret going to SBI. Continued wellness to you and congratulations again!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 03:32:56 pm »
Mark ~

Congratulations on your accomplishment - and thanks for the great photos.  I can't imagine doing what you did (taking on the Ironman Triathlon) even when I was much younger.  I salute you!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 07:22:43 pm »
Congratulations!  WOW!  What an amazing accomplishment.

I love the photos - and of course I was able to pick you right out of the crowd!   :D

Beautiful baby, by the way! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Lizard

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 08:06:19 pm »
Great pics thanks for sharing!  And yes live it to its fullest...you only get one shot!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 09:55:46 am »
Hi, Ixta,

Congratulations on your speedy recovery,  new baby and being so fit that you can run triathlons! My recovery was longer but the entire process - surgery itself and the recovery period- was so much simpler than the first time that I do not regret going to SBI. Continued wellness to you and congratulations again!

Eve

thanks Eve, have not heard from you in a while, sounds like the SBI thing went smoothe for you.
Thanks for your comments everyone. It was a challenge, but it was harder getting to the starting line compared to the finish, i.e training, family sacrifice, etc.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 04:10:03 pm »
WHOO HOO !!!!! ;D

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

sunfish

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 04:32:46 pm »
Congrats!  I did Ironman Florida in 2008.  Was registered for Ironman Lake Placid this year (late July 2010), but that pesky AN and the resulting CK spoiled those plans.  Just plain wasn't able to train hard/long enough to be ready.  There's always another year . . .
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Keri

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 12:43:01 pm »
great job! good for you. like the pictures. you look pretty happy!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jill Marie

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 08:22:31 pm »
Congratulations on finishing a most impressive race!  You must be very pleased with yourself for accomplishing a major goal and hopefully you have recovered by now.  I live in Spokane so am quite familiar with the race.  My youngest sons friends were in the race as well.  He was there tell the last friend finished at 11:42 p.m.  He had talked about doing the race before but after seeing it he says he WILL DO IT!  His cousins best friend proposed to his girlfriend mid way thru the Ironman, she excepted.  I showed my son your pic's and blog, he thought it was awesome that you got a picture with the winner.  Thanks so much for posting the pictures, it truly is inspiring!  Jill 8)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Keri

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 08:36:20 pm »
did you beat elmo?
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 01:17:13 am »
Congrats!  I did Ironman Florida in 2008.  Was registered for Ironman Lake Placid this year (late July 2010), but that pesky AN and the resulting CK spoiled those plans.  Just plain wasn't able to train hard/long enough to be ready.  There's always another year . . .

Grats!
When peeps say, "Is doing an IM hard"? I now define IM to include the six month preparation, not just the one day "race". My first Half IM last year was harder than this full because I did't prepare for it like I did this full im.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 01:19:37 am »
did you beat elmo?

I past Elmo at about Mile 14, he was sweating profusely around his head due to the mask. I wish I had his bib number to see the official fotos. Humor really helps.
I heard the announcer say something about the last runner being 17? but someone hit him in the shoulder not to say that... haha, not sure if it was someone you knew.
Andy Potts was doing a foto shoot the next day on the beach. Thats how he saw me, and yelled, "Hey man could I get my picture with you". haha
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 01:21:28 am by ixta »