Author Topic: Pneumovax, can't get a definitive answer  (Read 2527 times)

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Pneumovax, can't get a definitive answer
« on: February 19, 2009, 09:32:18 am »
My neurosurgeon prescribed a pneumonia vaccination 2 to 3 weeks before surgery to prevent meningitis post-op.  I remembered I had one almost ten years ago when I was diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis and was on prednisone.  Some say that is adequate protection, and some say I should get another vaccination.  Anyone have any thoughts?
Thank you.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Cheryl R

Re: Pneumovax, can't get a definitive answer
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 11:33:52 am »
Since it has been that long ago, there is a chance it may not hurt to have another one.     This is bugging me now as when I was working any person  who was in with pneumonia  and over 65 had to have one.   We had an automatic order form and I can not remember what all it said on it.    I will ask a friend.    If you had had it before 65 you did not get it again but it may have depended on how long ago it was.               So your 10 yr time frame, may mean you can.         I will check into it.                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

GRACE1

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 11:54:52 am »
I was told when I had my first one that it was good for life.  Now I have been told you need to have 1 every 10 years - or something like that.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 01:34:23 pm »
Nancy ~

I'm not a doctor or a nurse but I believe that a pneumonia vaccination is recommended for those who don't know if and/or when they last received it or if it has been more than 5 years since your last vaccination.  It tends to be a fairly uneventful inoculation, with few side effects.  I suspect that your surgeon is just being cautious or perhaps simply following hospital pre-op protocol. 
Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 02:43:17 pm »
After much ado, it seems that the manufacturer does not allow/recommends against more than two pneumonia vaccinations per lifetime and no closer together than five years.  So, I'm just going to assume the one I had in October, 1999 will do the trick.
Thanks for your attention and advice.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Nancy
PS - Tentative for April 8 translab
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness