Author Topic: I'm off to NYC...  (Read 7730 times)

cindyj

Re: I'm off to NYC...
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 09:00:20 am »
Well, what a trip!  I must admit that I have never had any desire to go to NY and I only went because of the tennis...but, what an experience!  As I said, we went with some people who had been there a few times, so knew (mostly) how to get around.  I'm quite sure Brad & I would still be in the subway system had we not been with them!  We had three days of awesome tennis (enjoy it this week, Wayne!) and then a day and 1/2 of the city.  No official tours, but we went to Times Square, Bryant Park, Central Park, Battery Park, Soho...subway, subway, subway!  SO many people!  SO many different languages!  Very cool!

We went down to the World Trade Center area...very tough, very emotional.  Went in St. Pauls that is right across the street, where workers and volunteers took refuge from the work int the weeks/months following 9/11.  I don't have the words for how touching that was. 

Anyway, I now need to go back - so much more to see and do -  never even set foot in a store!  Did do a little street vending shopping, though :o 

Cindy

PS - My tinnitus was at an all time high while there...wonder why :o
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 05:41:57 pm »
Cindy ~

Congratulations on a great visit to Manhattan!  As someone who grew up with 45 minutes of New York City (on Long Island) went there often, worked there for a time and still visits occasionally, it's refreshing to see someone from 'out of town' excited and awed by what we grew up calling, simply, "the city" (New York)

"New York, New York. it's a wonderful town!  The Bronx is up and the Battery's down!   The people ride in a hole in the ground!  New York, New York, it's a wonderful town!!"

From 'It's a Wonderful Town' (1945)  Written by Leonard Bernstein, Betty Comden, and Adolph Green.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wcrimi

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 07:51:58 pm »
Cindy,

Glad you enjoyed my neck of the woods.

I also had a great time at the US Open.

Wayne
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

wcrimi

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 08:05:19 pm »
Cindy,

By the way, my tinnitus was worse when I traveled from "the city" to upstate NY.  I mentioned that to one of my doctors and asked if it had something to do with air pressure, altitude, or something like that and he just looked at me like I was a nut.  ::)  However, the second time I went I was prepared (made sure I had something to provide white noise at night) and it was fine. I'm not sure what's going on but perhaps there is some adjustment period to the different weather etc....  I'd be curious if anyone else has noticed anything like that. 

Wayne

1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 06:12:32 am »
Cindy - so glad you loved NY!  Having lived in the heart of mid-town for many years, I will always have a special soft place in my heart for the city.  Willie and I go in as often as we can.  Always great fun!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com