Author Topic: Name that tumor!  (Read 1954 times)

Cheryl R

Name that tumor!
« on: February 18, 2012, 07:15:39 pm »
Hopefully this story won't bother some.  Some of you may have heard of my being a helper to an older friend when she has medical issues and no family in the area.          This week she had to have a colostomy after some problems with abdominal issues past a rectal cancer.     She is doing SUPER and she gave me a good laugh today when she said her stoma is now Starla for Starla Stoma along with Baggilini.          I told her about some of the ANs here having names.   She esp liked Irving.     She gave me permission to tell this as she has a wonderful sense of humor.         Told her I just haven't come up  with the right names since have had 3 tumors other than maybe Tom,d*** and Harry.              So some sense of humor is good for what ever one is going thru!                                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: Name that tumor!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 01:29:38 am »
Cheryl,

A sense of humor is what we all could use in times of trouble  certainly keeping a light heart by giving it a name that is more human than the scientific body part which is precise and probably a Latin derivative is a start. Keep your friend in good spirits, remember laughter is contagious it makes our illness weaker and lifts our spirits. Good health to you! Keep smiling and laughing.

A while back I got on a brain tumor forum, mistakenly,(mostly it was for people with metastic cancer).
Boy, was it sobering! It made me realize that I didn't have it quite so bad. It also made me realize that you have to live every day to it's fullest and try to smell and experience things like they are never going to happen again.

You can well imagine that this got a little tiring after 8 years! So I try in my way to experience lfe from a different perspective. It makes things taste sweeter, smell fresher, feel softer. When I love somebody, rather than not say it, I say it.
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!