Author Topic: mayo clinic  (Read 2720 times)

supermike

mayo clinic
« on: March 19, 2006, 11:30:17 pm »
I'm very appreciative of this site and the chance to ask some questions of you all. I was Dx: two weeks ago with a an at 17mm and am starting my search for options.

To date I have been in contact with the House Ear Clinic in L.A. and the Mayo Clinic in MN.. While I have read a lot about House from you all I have not read anything about the Mayo Clinic. Have any of you used them or do you have any info. about Mayo?

I am setting up a consultation with Colin Driscoll M.D. a neurotologist and Michael Link M.D. a neurosurgeon for early April.

How many of you sought second or third opinions?
4mmx4mmx16mm--dx 3-15-06- starting the process

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
Re: mayo clinic
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 11:34:06 pm »
Supermike,

Welcome aboard.

The common theme by many posters is to get multiple opinions until you feel comfortable that you are well informed enough to make your decision.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 07:22:55 am »
I had four consults.  Two were official and two were unofficial meaning I didn't actually go to their offices and start a paitent file.  I was told to go to the Mayo in Jacksonville but they didn't accept my insurance (later found out the doctor they were trying to send me to didn't the hospital did).  Like Lar said got with your gut and who you feel comfortable. If that takes 20 people so be it!!

Are you having a lot of symptoms?  Have you thought about GK?  Keep us posted! :)

DeniseSmith

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 07:42:17 am »
Mike,
I live in MN.  I went to the U of MN Riverside, my doctors have/had performed hundreds of AN surgeries.  They were great!!! And my outcome, while not totally what i expected, has been good. 

Denise

nannettesea

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 09:58:13 am »
Mike,
I went to Mayo/Driscoll 7 months post-op for 2nd opinion on why I'm still dizzy.  I've heard he's a good surgeon, but in my opinion he has a terrible bedside manner.  He treated me very badly.  I will never see him again.

I think 2nd or 3rd opinions are very good idea.  If my insurance would have paid more, I would have gone to House.  As my doc said, the neurosurgeon there, who I've spoken to repeatedly, is a giant in the field.  His work was groundbreaking.  They do all approaches.  But my surgeon in WA was excellent.

I've also heard Levine at U of MN is excellent, having done over 1000 surgeries, but I think mostly trans-lab approach.  Hope that helps.

Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

russ

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 12:10:49 pm »
Hi SuperMike
  I'm a Rochester Mayo NF-2 pt. I was formerly a UIHC pt. Iowa misdiagnosed me.
  I see Otologist Dr. Colin Driscoll and Neurosurgeon, Dr. Michael Link. Link also does GK. I'm seen by Dr Babovic in Genetics also.
  Though they are busy, I'm well pleased with their professionality and knowledge.
  Driscoll did train with Dr Jacklar when he was still at UCSF.
  I like Mayo and personally feel they bend over backward to help their pts. Yes; Waiting for some appts. gets long but their popularity is obviously a sign something has worked for them.
  The Drs work long days and are busy. i'm sorry another poster had a negative experience with Driscoll. That is not the Driscoll I've come to know for 6 years.
  Mayo's ENT dept. is rated 4th in the nation by 'US news and World Reports'.
  Best wishes always!
  Russ

stein78

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 04:16:10 pm »
I spoke with Dr. Driscoll at Mayo over the phone for my 3rd opinion.  I was very impressed by him, he took his time to talk to me, was very honest with me, and really helped me in my decision making process. 
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL