Author Topic: Funny things that we THINK we hear...  (Read 46820 times)

wendysig

Re: Funny things that we THINK we hear...
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2010, 09:22:31 pm »
Nothing new to add, just wanted to say this is funny stuff!!! :D

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2010, 03:45:53 pm »
Great thread.  I sometimes will have the TV on and will hear such weird background noise WITH the TV that no one else hears.  That will also happen to me occasionally on the phone.  I DO hear things and sounds and voices that are not really there.  No one else knows what I am talking about.  And I do NOT have tinnitus, but have all the other things that may go with it!
Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

ddaybrat

• The Brat's Blog
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2010, 10:51:07 pm »
I loved reading this.  Before my surgery, I used to hear music or chanting...almost like American Indian songs.  Since my surgery, I haven't heard it.  When it first started, I had just built a new home.  I tend to have the ability to sense things and wrote it off to that.  I figured there had probably been an Indian village at some time on the land where my house had been built.  Just figured the Lord was messing with my mind again.  Now, I realize that I started experiencing some AN symptoms about the same time that I started hearing the music.  Interesting...very interesting!
1.4 x 1.5 x 0.4 cm AN on left side
retromastoid craniectomy 3/31/2010
Dr. Randy Gehring - Lafayette, IN
Tinnitis, deafness
Vestibular nerves destroyed
4 months post-op:
Facial movement returning
Paralytic ectopic repair on lower lid
Transverse ligament adjustment on upper lid

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2010, 06:14:09 am »
OK, this is really weird: sometimes when I have a fan or bathroom exhaust on it seems like I can faintly hear music in the background. It could be a pop song or an orchestra but it is faintly in the background. When I turn the fan or exhaust off it disappears!

:o

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

lora

« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2010, 11:42:57 pm »
I like to say I can Marco but not Polo--my misinterpretation of what is being said is a constant source of amusement for my kids
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

Lynn Mc

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2011, 09:32:58 am »
When I am calling on the phone and it is ringing in my good ear it is SCREECHING (with the rings) in my deaf ear!  What gives???
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

wendysig

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2011, 09:43:49 am »
I was driving my daughter to a friend's house the other day and the radio was on.  I don't know the name of the name of the song that was playing on the radio, but I asked my daughter why someone was singing a song about a cheese steak.  It turned out the singer was saying "G6" not cheese steak.    We both got a good laugh out of it.   :D

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2011, 11:38:07 am »
Lynn,
Sometimes when I am around loud noise or music, I get feedback in my BAHA.  I do have a music setting and need to remember to turn it to that third setting when I am in a movie or the theater.  That somehow prevents the feedback I get.  I was actually on a date last weekend (rare occurrence!) and we were in a movie.  As the suspense music got louder, so did the feedback noise on my BAHA.  The man I was with was looking around to see where the screeching was coming from!  I tried to wait til it was noisy and then I changed the setting, and it often screeches louder as I am changing the setting because I am touching the processor.  How do you say to someone you don't know well that you have to fix this box on your head or take it off!!!!!!  ??? ??? ::) ;D
~Dale
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

Lynn Mc

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2011, 09:05:43 am »
Dale that is to funny.  Excuse me while I adjust my box!!!!!  Gotta smile.  I am hoping to get a BAHA as my insurance has changed.  The request to the insurance co. should go in next week.  Then my deaf ear will have a reason to screech!!!   
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

Kaybo

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2011, 08:25:58 pm »
Love it, Dale!  Will there be a 2nd date??

Last night, my middle daughter said, "Mom, when do we stop using our teeth?"

I replied, "When you die!!  You always need your teeth..."  She looked at me funny... she had actually said, "When do we stop LOSING our teeth??"  (she's lost 3 in less than a week and this Tooth Fairy is TIRED of staying up!!!!!)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2011, 08:30:42 pm »
I was driving my daughter to a friend's house the other day and the radio was on.  I don't know the name of the name of the song that was playing on the radio, but I asked my daughter why someone was singing a song about a cheese steak.  It turned out the singer was saying "G6" not cheese steak.    We both got a good laugh out of it.   :D

Wendy

Sounds like our kids listen to the same station, but in different cities (if that makes sense).

I can't stand that song and my daughter knows that.  Maybe next time it's on the car radio, I'll start singing about a cheese steak just to annoy her  >:D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2011, 01:09:52 am »
Jan,

I'm glad to have given you an idea on how to annoy your daughter.  God knows they do things just to annoy us sometimes -- I guess the shoe will be on the other foot, unless she just thinks you're weird.  My daughter laughed about my thinking the song was about cheese steak, but also told me I was weird.

Wendy :D
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2011, 06:49:37 am »
Not to worry; my daughter already thinks I'm weird  :D

Afterall, I talk to our cats.  Something quite normal in my book, but not in hers.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2011, 08:02:21 am »
Of course we talk to kitties!      I talk to my grandkitties.       Any teenager thinks their mom is weird.     Been there, done that.     I kid our daughter of what she has to look forward to.                  My almost 4 granddaughter told me I am old the other day when looked at age spots on my hand.   And when you're old, you die!     I made sure she knew I wasn't that old!     
                                                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2011, 11:39:12 am »
My kids have always thought I was weird.  When I first got the SSD, they would tease me by calling my name, knowing I would have to turn in circles to see where they were calling from.  They were both young adults and living out of the house by then.  As the years have gone by, they still find things to tease me about, but are a little more accepting of who I am.  All in due time!
~Dale
Tarzana, CA