Author Topic: Tinnitus  (Read 10059 times)

centimeter

Re: Tinnitus
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 10:55:48 pm »
  I had understood only some neuros will go into the CP angle via middle fossa. Possibly if the 1.7 cm AN is located near the interior portion of the IAC and extends into the CP angle that far, many neuros would not do a mid-fossa.
  C

Hi Shadow,

With a 1.7cm tumor you have options for three types of surgery.  One is translab and in that case hearing is lost.  The other two try to retain hearing with varying success rates. One is middle fossa and the other is retrosigmoid.

I had 100% going in with a tumor similar in size to yours.  Mine was 1.5 cm.  I had middle fossa surgery and I've retained 80% high frequency, 50% low frequency and have 84% speech discrimination. The speech discrimination score is important as sometimes hearing retained is not audible.

The other thing I was told is that the symptoms like tinnutus that you have prior to surgery most likely stay.  They may be reduced, but symptom may stay. 

Please check that out with your doctor.  What part of the country do you live in?

Kindest regards,
Kate

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2005, 11:46:30 am »
I can relate.  Mine sounds more like coming home after a concert where you had really good seats...like next to the speaker.  I try to ignore it and most of the time I can.  Some days it's a little louder than others.  But I love the dolphin comment  :)
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Karissa

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2005, 09:51:13 pm »
I had rare episodes of tinnitus before surgery....usually after being in a loud environment.  I had my surgery in December and still have some tinnitus....some days I hardley notice it and other days it is worse...usually just when it is really quite.....I have gotten used to it....

alwaysanonymous

• just hold your head up high and be brave!
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2005, 10:00:28 pm »
i was researching tinnitis becuase i was bored and i found out that caffiene like in coffee and nicotine in cigarettes can be a cause of tinnitis or increase it, so if anyone is a coffee drinker or smoker, to decrease your tinnitis, you may want to try decreaisng your intake of caffiene and nicotine

Rayinpa37

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2005, 05:27:06 am »
I noticed a post regarding BAHA Hearing aids and wanted to share my experience.

I live in Pennsylvania and here in PA they have an agency, most states probably do but most dont know.

I visited my local ENT for a checkup and hearing test.  And was notified about CROS hearing aids.  One is a transmitter worn on the deaf side and the other is a dual function, receiver/amplifier worn on the hearing side.  These work wonderful and after having them after a year of single sided deafness... was like being reborn to have hearing from that side again.

Back to the agency..Pennsylvania has the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation..   If you are planning to return to work .. this agency will equip you in whatever manner possible to get you back to work.  They paid for my exams, fittings and the CROS system.  the system itself was over $1600.

So anyone looking for hearing aids of any type should considder contacting an OVR office in their state.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray Grace
AN Removal via Sub-Occipital Resection
Dr. Robert Martuza, Massachusetts General
March 2004  1.2x1.7x1.9 AN
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray Grace - age 40
Dunmore, Pa

1.9cm AN removed via Sub-Occipital Surgery
March 8th 2004
Dr. Robert Martuza, Massachusetts General Hospital
--Using CROS Hearing Aids

Monica

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2005, 04:57:50 pm »
I had 4 differnt noises in my ear before surgery. I know have 1 and am deaf in that ear. I noticed that the tinnitus seems louder when I am tired or stressed.  I wear a CROStalk aid by Phonak. It has a wireless transmitter that hooks on my deaf ear and a hearing aid that fits in my good ear. When I am using that I don't hear the "static" as much.

thecakes

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2006, 07:03:55 am »
      I also was blessed with little tinnitus.  That would drive me nuts.  But really, if I had to live with it, it would be a small sacrifice.  I wonder, if you don't get it can it come later?  the cakes