Author Topic: Surgery date is approaching  (Read 5455 times)

nclabtech

Surgery date is approaching
« on: July 07, 2013, 12:17:52 am »
Hi, My AN surgery is scheduled for July 26th with Dr Fukushima at Duke Raleigh hospital. As the date approaches, I am getting more anxious. My other two consults suggested Middle Fossa, due to AN being intracanicular. However, Dr Fukushima recommends retro sigmoid approach. I do have approx. 70-80% useful hearing in my right ear (AN side). I experience tinnitus, fullness, and some dizziness. I also have occasional nausea, but also have had kidney stone episodes this summer too, so it is difficult to determine the true root cause of nausea.
I welcome advice on pre surgery planning, packing for hospital, advice for my family and other words of wisdom from this forum.
I have reached out to a couple of you and thank you greatly for your advice, kindness , words of wisdom and encouragement . I think hearing from you is easing my pre surgery anxiety.
I welcome your thoughts and advice.
Thanks so much, Cherie
Right 8 mm AN diagnosed 5/7/13. Some hearing loss, facial numbness, tinnitus.
Retrosigmoid surgery scheduled for 7/26/13. Dr Fukushima Duke Raleigh, NC
Retrosigmoid surgery 7/26 right 1.2cm AN, retained useful hearing, no facial deficits, constant tinnitus.

kmr1969

Re: Surgery date is approaching
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 11:52:08 am »
Cherie,

I also had a lot of anxiety about surgery.  I kept waiting for the sense of peace that many people told me I would feel after I made a decision on treatment and doctors, but it wasn't until the morning of surgery that I felt like I had done everything I could and now it was time to just trust in my decision and doctors. 

There are probably a lot of things you can do to get ready for surgery, but most important in my opinion would be to stay busy.  Get things organized around your home so that when you need to sit still and recover you can do so.  You may also want to check out setting up a caringbridge site to keep friends and family posted on your surgery and recovery.  My wife set up a site for me and the messages that I got pre and post surgery were very comforting and inspiring.  The week before surgery, I took off from work, raked all the leaves in my yard, went to lunch with my parents, and then took my boys out for pizza and a James Bond movie.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery.  Just think how good you will feel 3 months from now.  My surgery was in November 2012, but is feels like it was a lifetime ago.

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 02:43:31 pm »
Cherie ~

My recommendation would be to trust your own judgement and try to let go of the anxiety (which is quite normal) by embracing the knowledge that your well-qualified doctors are going to do the very best they possibly can for you and that you're going to come out of this O.K.  This is basically what I did and you know what?  Not only did it ease my pre-op anxiety but things really did work out just fine (no real post-op complications and a rapid recovery).

I concur with Ken's advice to keep busy pre-surgery and do things you enjoy. 

I would suggest that you try not to over-pack for the hospital.  Some AN patients do and never use much of what they bring so its just 'excess baggage'.  A robe, slippers, probably one small book, maybe a tube of ChapStick ® (which many AN patients claim is a necessity - although I never needed it) and whatever else from home that will make you feel comfortable while in the hospital.  Remember, this is not a vacation so don't be overly concerned about your appearance.  It's 3 to 5 days in the hospital and the first day or so you will be affected by the anesthesia you'll receive during the surgery and won't be up to much at all, although that should pass relatively quickly.     

My only advice regarding your family is to let them know that the surgery is lengthy (generally 7 to 12 hours, depending on what the doctors have to do), that children are usually not allowed in patient rooms and that you may not be up to a lot of visiting the first day or so post-op. 

I'm sure others will add to these suggestions as the thread is viewed.  Meanwhile, you'll be in our thoughts and prayers as your surgery date (July 26th) approaches.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nclabtech

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 05:29:31 am »
Thank you both for your positive words . I am currently tying up loose ends now, getting my job in order, etc... I will have my mother and significant other there during the surgery and post op. I have confidence in my doctor and look to the caring people on this forum for support and comfort . Thank you so much.
Retrosigmoid surgery 7/26 right 1.2cm AN, retained useful hearing, no facial deficits, constant tinnitus.

nclabtech

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 04:55:41 am »
Hi All, I just had my AN surgery using retro sigmoid approach on Friday. I am still in the hospital but out of ICU and in a regular room on the surgery unit. All went well so far. Dr Fukushima preserved useful hearing in my AN ear, since I am still bandaged , not sure of the exact % yet. He also preserved my facial nerve. My AN was 8mm on MRI May 7th and at removal, 1.2 cm. he got all of it too, thankfully.  I have been up walking, took a bird bath and am in my own pjs too. The staff here is pleasant and attentive and I finally got sleep last night . I hope to be discharged by Tuesday. I feel ok considering the surgery ordeal. I want to thank everyone on this forum for their kind words , support, and insights. Now that I am a newbie veteran, I too am happy to be a resource too. Thank you all so very much.
Regards, Cherie

mesafinn

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 11:41:13 am »
Cherie:  Very glad the procedure went well and thanks for letting us know!   Here's wishing you a marvelous, peaceful, and speedy recovery!!   All the very best,    P.
Oct 2012:  Constant Pulsatile Tinnitus
Feb 28, 2013: Dx AN 1.4 cm X .9 mm
April 19, 2013:  GK at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

Some things in my life need to matter less, and other things in my life need to matter more.  So yes, I'm taking this as a "lesson learned experience."

nftwoed

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 01:42:19 pm »
Congratulations, Cherie!

My; You are up and at them and doing well so soon. Esp. for RS.
   It's so nice to read something positive and bright today, and every day really!
   May you be blessed with an uneventful recovery.
   Looking forward to your "resourcefulness".   :)

phantagrae

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 11:09:39 am »
Hi All, I just had my AN surgery using retro sigmoid approach on Friday. I am still in the hospital but out of ICU and in a regular room on the surgery unit. All went well so far. Dr Fukushima preserved useful hearing in my AN ear, since I am still bandaged , not sure of the exact % yet. He also preserved my facial nerve. My AN was 8mm on MRI May 7th and at removal, 1.2 cm. he got all of it too, thankfully.  I have been up walking, took a bird bath and am in my own pjs too. The staff here is pleasant and attentive and I finally got sleep last night . I hope to be discharged by Tuesday. I feel ok considering the surgery ordeal. I want to thank everyone on this forum for their kind words , support, and insights. Now that I am a newbie veteran, I too am happy to be a resource too. Thank you all so very much.
Regards, Cherie

So glad you have had a good experience so far.  I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly.  Don't be afraid to let yourself rest--your body has been through an ordeal.
:)
Numbness on right side of face beginning some time in 2012 through early 2013
MRI 4/15/13
20mm x 19mm x 16mm intra and extra canalicular AN on Right Side.  ("Largely extracanalicular")
FSR treatment beginning on July 22, 2013--going for 30 treatments

theshawn65

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 02:18:35 pm »
Congrats on the being on the backside of surgery Cherie and thanks for updating.

Hope the recoup goes well and uneventful.
2.2 x 2.2 x 2.3cm AN -- 3 FSR LINAC Oct 23-25th 2013