Author Topic: problems with word finding/memory  (Read 7092 times)

goinbatty

problems with word finding/memory
« on: April 08, 2008, 06:12:36 pm »
Just curious if others have problems with memory and word finding.  For years when I've had trouble remembering a name of whatever, I typically always remember the first letter of the word and eventually remember the entire word.  Yep, call me crazy.  But lately, even that doesn't occur.  It's getting more and more frustrating.  But I just try to keep a sense of humor about it and drive everyone around me crazy telling them everything about what it is I'm trying to remember until they come up with the name. 
Hope that makes sense.
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: problems with word finding/memory
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 08:13:56 pm »
I don't know that this is necessarily an AN problem exclusively. Although it is and it's frustrating.  However, it's also the domain of menopause, aging, and leading stress filled busy lives.  We cram so much into our brain it's a wonder anything can find it's way out.  I notice that when my husband and I (early 60's) get together with our friends the conversation is very weird.

Kind of like this:

"Hey, did you see where that guy died."
"What guy?"
"Oh, the one who was in all those old movies. You know, the chariot ones...you know, whatshisface, Charlie something.  He had that disease thingie where you can't remember stuff."
"Right. I know who you mean.  I can see him.  It'll come to me in a minute.  Yeah, Charlie something."
"Ummm, that's not right...Carl...no Char...ummm CHARLTON! "
Right! Charlton Huston..no Hairston...no that's that other guy. Jester Hairston.  Ever heard of him?  Saw him once at my school years ago. Sang a great song. I think it was "Amen" and then they did that TV show with that guy that used to be on that show with Archie Bunker.  What was the name of that show, you know the spin-off?  I can hear the tune..."moving on up.." 
"Right, that was a great show. "
"Well, what was the name of it."
"I haven't a clue, but it'll come to me later." 
So anyway, that's too bad about Charlton."
"Who?"

And this can go on for hours. And I'm the only one with an AN!! ;D

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 08:17:14 pm »
Ever since my AN surgery, I've had problems with word finding. 

Sometimes I think one thing and say something completely different. 

Gets me a lot of interesting looks from the person I'm talking to  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 12:29:33 am »
There is a word for that: lethologica. Of course, I can never remember it, it is always just on the tip of my tongue...

Fortunately I don't get obsessive about it; that would turn it into a case of loganamnosis;D

The wikipedia entry on Tip of the Tongue is pretty interesting. Linguistics, psychology, cognitive theory, neural networks - the works. Apparently it happens to everybody, everywhere. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_of_the_tongue

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

jtd71465

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 03:56:59 am »
I agree with Steve (CNN Breaking NEWS...) ;D.  We all probably did the same thing prior to surgery, it's after suegery that we tend to over-analyze everything (memory, balance, fatigue....).  My wife can't remember I told her that I would be going golfing on a certain day and she didn't have AN surgery...it could be I never told her...oops.

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 07:00:47 am »
There is a word for that: lethologica. Of course, I can never remember it, it is always just on the tip of my tongue...

Fortunately I don't get obsessive about it; that would turn it into a case of loganamnosis;D

Steve

Steve -

where do you come up with this stuff  ???  You never fail to amaze - and amuse - me.

Joe -

you are probably right, but it doesn't seem like I did this prior to my surgery.  Then again, I'm older now than I was then, so maybe it's just memory loss  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 10:48:23 am »
Well, I was pretty young when it all happened so I think I can blame it on the AN, BUT now that I am getting older...as I have said before, I always mix up yesterday and tomorrow and left and right.  When I was teaching, many times the child I spoke to last was the name I would blurt out next - ex - I had been helping sweet, perfect Marissa and Darius would act up & I would say,"MARISSA!!" instead of Darius -- consistently, not just once.  Also, I always interchange my oldest daughter's name and my best friend (only really just conscieously realized this in the last year) -- I guess I do their since they are both female.  I also refer to Dave as Daddy to other adults, (which I HATE!) - usually with the last 2 I catch myself in midword...
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mema

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 01:28:07 pm »
I never was good at remembering names, dates etc.  One thing my husband and I notice since my AN is very short term memory loss.    If I say "YOU KNOW WHAT" and my husband answers me a minute later "WHAT"  I can't for the life of me remember what I was going to say.  I have to tell you immediately or I  forget it.  But then usually I'll remember half hour later.

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

goinbatty

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 08:22:02 pm »
Thanks for all the posts.  Nice to know I'm not going crazy....yet - HA!  Now if you asked my family, they may say otherwise. 
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm

ceeceek

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 07:58:28 pm »
Hey there goin Batty!
Actually I have noticed particularly after surgery that I cannot recall as I used to..and I have some what of proof...my hubby used to call me the walking rolodex...once I heard a phone number it was commited to memory pretty much for good...however after surgery I have to repeat and repeat a number to remember it just enough to dial it....although I am starting to see a little recovery..I use the nintendo brain mass gains for memory to help excercise my brain so that whatever was damaged will either heal or another portion will take over..it seems to be helping a little...
See ya
Ceecee
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

marie

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 04:03:47 pm »

Taking DMAE has helped me with this problem.
surgeries : back of head 1967,1987
               translab 1991
               bone reduction 2002
               7/12  1968
               temporalis transplant  1969

goinbatty

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 08:28:40 pm »
Thanks for posting.  Over the past few weeks, I'm come to realize my hormones are definitely out of sync so who knows what to blame the memory on - tumor/radiation/hormones/my brain in general.  I too tend to think the AN and/or treatment has affected my memory.  Especially with word finding.  Also, I work on a computer and in typing I've noticed many more spelling errors which rarely occurred before. 
I checked into DMAE and evidently it's contraindicated with epilepsy.  I'll have to check into that Nintendo game.  Sounds like fun.  All I can say is thank goodness for cell phones.  Once those phone #'s are saved, I just have to remember the person's name.  Oops, that can be a problem too - HA! 
Thanks,
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm

Boppie

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 10:56:49 pm »
The word memory and spelling problems improve with time and practice, practice.  I have more trouble remembering numbers and measurements now though. 

My husband, who is a chemical engineer (retired), has the same trouble with remembering things and he is 2 years older than me, no surgeries in his recent past.  So, I think there is something to be said age factor and memory that "rust out" without practice.  My comprehension in spatial math and ordered things like geometry and patterns is still excellent.  What a gal! ;D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 10:58:51 pm by Boppie »

goinbatty

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 09:42:41 am »
Wow math - what's that?!  Just kidding.  I haven't done math to speak of in years.  At the end of the school year, the book stores put out work books for children I believe up through 8th grade.  Might just have to pick up one to brush up a bit.  Of course, I'll have to hide that one from my hubby.  He's a mechanical engineer and I would never heard the end of it.  But there again, when he starts throwing around engineering terminology, I just start with the medical terminology (I'm a nurse).  Makes for some pretty funny conversation - HA! 
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm

er

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 10:44:50 pm »
Hello Sandra,

I relate, and like age we do tend to slow down.  I do know that mine is AN related or if not AN but the removal .  I am fine when I am rested but if I over do, or if I work 2 to 4 hours that is my limit, it is like my brain shuts down and it needs to rest. At this time I can not even make change. I have had to quit my jobs over this. It was embarrassing when the boss would have to come and help me. If any one finds a cure let me know.
eve