Author Topic: Problem with Transear + Plans for BAHA  (Read 6052 times)

gramps

Problem with Transear + Plans for BAHA
« on: January 04, 2008, 04:27:51 pm »
I am a new member.  I have followed Transear and BAHA postings for some time and know that many of you are pleased with these devices.  I don't have an AN but I have had SSD for some 12-15 years from an unknown cause.  I tried a standard hearing aid in the bad ear about 4 years ago.  It was worthless.  Next I went to an otologist and wound up with a CROS system.  It was somewhat helpful but essentially useless in restaurants, etc.  Keeping the connection working was also a problem.  I got my Transear approximately  1 year ago. It is the best hearing aid I ever had but also somewhat lacking in the restaurant or crowds.  I cannot turn it up to enough amplification without noise (not feedback).  Maybe it simply doesn't make excellent contact or there is too much junk in my bad ear to go through.  However, the problem I am posting about is the warranty.  About  2 weeks ago, the Transear quit working.  It is not making electrical contact.  I called my audiologist's office and they said I got my Transear on January 4, 2007 (exactly one year ago today) and they thought there might even be a grace period.  The audiologist called Transear and they said the warranty started with the inovice date (December 6, 2007) and therefore, the warranty was expired.  The long period between the invoice and my getting the Transear happened because I was away for the holidays.  So watch your warranty period closely.

My audiologist and I will try to get the Transear working again but it is only going to be temporary because I am scheduled for BAHA surgery on January 17.  The audiologist works in the same group as the surgeon who has performed many BAHAs.  It seems to me that once the post ossifies that the contact should be perfect.  My wife says this is the last straw for me.

Jeanlea

Re: Problem with Transear + Plans for BAHA
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 05:12:33 pm »
Welcome to our group. 

Sorry to hear that your TransEar isn't working.   Hope the BAHA works out better for you.  You will be the first person I've heard of who has had both TransEar and BAHA.  I hope that you will share your opinion of how the two of them compare.  I've been looking for any studies done on the two of them and haven't found any.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 11:35:47 pm »
Hi, gramps, and welcome.

Good luck with the BAHA surgery.  I am SSD since my retrosigmoid surgery on 5/31/07, and am currently awaiting insurance approval for BAHA surgery.  I considered both the TransEar and the CrosAid, but decided that the BAHA would be a better choice for me.  I was very impressed with the BAHA demo I had a few months ago and I've heard only positive things from patients who chose the BAHA. 

Keep us posted and let us know your opinion of the BAHA vs TransEar.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

1wareagle

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 08:23:18 am »
Gramps,

New Years Day my family and I went out to eat at a Cracker Barrel Restaurant. Needless to say they were packed. When we finally got a seat I forgot to sit so my good ear could hear the conversation at the table. I had to depend on my BAHA to hear them. The noise was so loud around us that I never hear one thing they were saying. With that said I just wanted to let you know that the BAHA , for me, does not work in noisy enviroments. Other than that they work great. If I forget to wear them to work I am miserable till I can get them back on. I didn't want to discourage you but this is something you need to know since you had mentioned it in your post.

Good Luck
Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

Cynaburst

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 11:59:26 am »
Re: the Transear Warranty situation.....I bought mine with an extended warranty.  I think it was for an additional year, so for a total of 2 years. It is not optimal, but it was the best I could do.

gramps

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 09:01:58 pm »
I had my BAHA surgery yesterday and all seemed to go well.  I had general anasthesia and didn't feel a thing during the surgery.  I did have some intense pain afterwards for a couple of hours until the pain killer started working.  Now, 30 hours afterwards, I am on plain tylenol and only a couple of those today.

Good news about my Transear.  My audiologist had the connector (goes between the processor and the ear piece) that my Transear was first equipped with.  It was too short and not flexible.  She put it on my Transear and the device worked, so the new connector has gone bad.   The Transear people are sending a new connector free of charge even though I was a few days out of warranty based on the invoice date.   They are cooperative and seem to want to do the right thing.  :)

I will keep you posted.

Gramps

lori67

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 10:06:40 pm »
Hi Gramps!

I'm glad your surgery went well.  It's amazing that they can put a screw in your head and it doesn't really hurt as much as you'd think it would!

So, now you have a working Trans-Ear and a BAHA abuttment?  Sounds like you'll be covered from all angles now!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 10:51:27 pm »
Gramps -

glad to hear that your BAHA surgery is over.  Sorry about the pain, but it sounds like the worst of it is over.

Great news about your TransEar too.

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ChrisB

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 09:37:47 am »
It may be a moot point for you, but for anyone else who may have purchased their TransEar using a MasterCard (or I assume Visa - possibly others), check the provisions of your card.  Many carry an extended warranty, as long as you have the proper documentation for the purchase.  I had exactly the same expiration date - 4 January 08 - and did my homework before deciding whether to purchase the extended warranty or not.  MasterCard told me it can be repaired as many times as needed within the next year at no cost to me (I can wait for it to be effectively billed to MasterCard, or I can pay it and not have to wait for the device to come back weeks later - or more - by putting the charge for the repairs on my card and then submitting the paperwork to get a credit of the same amount.  It's a great alternative to the warranty, if people are short on cash - a tiny bit more of a hassle to get all the documentation, charge the repair, and wait for the credit back, but still accomplishes the same thing.  (The limit in the next year is actually the cost of the TransEar, but that would take an awful lot of repairs, which I don't expect.)

Chris

gramps

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 07:58:12 pm »
I got my BAHA processor today.  It is the Intenso model wnich has more power that the Divino.  It is definietely an improvement over the Transear for me because I can turn the volume up with no feedback or vibration.  Of course, I haven't had the big test of being in a crowd or restaurant yet.  I will keep you posted.

Gramps

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 10:16:17 pm »
Gramps -

thanks for the update.  It's very encouraging to hear that the Intenso works better for you than the TransEar.

I just had my BAHA bandage and cap removed this morning.  Doc said it looks good - no infection.  Have to put neosporin on it 2x daily for 2 weeks and then go back to see him the week after that.  I'll be getting my processor (Divino) at the beginning of June.  I can hardly wait.

Jan

Laurie

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 03:25:21 pm »
I had the CROS for a short time and hated it.  Did not like wearing two hearing aids.  I have had the baha since Janury 2007, and it is so much better and easier.  Noone knows you are wearing it.  Your hair covers it and least if you are a women or a man with longer hair.  It snaps on and off so easily and the batteries take just a second or two to change.  Noisy places don't assist with any of these devices so get used to it, but overall the Baha is good.  Until they can have surgery to make to nerves to give us back our hearing, this will have to do.  Best of lucK!!!

Laurie

gramps

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 07:02:34 pm »
Just an Update - I have now had my BAHA processor over 2 weeks and am quite happy with it.  It is not perfect in restaurants, etc. but it is a great improvement over nothing.  I can actually hear my wife speaking if she is sitting on the wrong side in a reasonable (not an uproaring one) restaurant.  I did turn the low frequency as low as possible and use Program 2 (noise suppression) essentially all the time.  I think that is necessary because I have the gain set at maximum and the volume turned to maximum to enhance the voices coming in on the deaf side.

One small disappointment - I have very large ears which caused the surgeon to put the implant rather high and when I wear a cap or hat, it comes into contact with the processor and causes tremendous feedback.  Consequently, I can't wear the processor when I am playing golf, working in the yard, etc.

I feel very fortunate to have SSD from an unknown cause and not have to go through all of the events that those of you who have AN encounter.  My best wishes to everyone.

Gramps

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 08:18:41 pm »
Gramps -

thanks for the update.

I'm so glad you like your BAHA, despite the issue of not being able to wear it when you golf or work in the yard.

I'm about 2 months away from getting my processor and can't wait  :)

Jan

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 08:19:21 am »
One small disappointment - I have very large ears which caused the surgeon to put the implant rather high and when I wear a cap or hat, it comes into contact with the processor and causes tremendous feedback.  Consequently, I can't wear the processor when I am playing golf, working in the yard, etc.

Gramps

any outdoor activity, I dont were mine .. wind, rain, fishing,yard work, etc.... did I mention fishing  ;) .. water, dirt,etc .. its best to leave it at home!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital