Author Topic: I'm Back ...  (Read 6638 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
I'm Back ...
« on: April 05, 2006, 01:14:48 pm »
Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I've been away from the boards for a while recovering from my second surgery. 2 brain surgeries? C'mon, that ain't right. Anyway, surgery two was much smoother than surgery one and the recovery time was much quicker as well. I managed to get out of the hospital after only three days! My first surgery, they held me in that place for almost a month. Anyway, here's a pic from my first week home, the day my wrap came off.

Anyway, this time they left a very small piece of tumor in (a grain of rice) because they wanted to preserve my facial function as much as possible. The don't think it'll ever grow because it's embedded in a lot of scar tissue, but I have my follow up MRI next month, so we'll see what's going on. Thank you all for you emails and support through both of my surgeries over the past few years. Some of you (you know who you are) gave me a lot of motivation and a little laugh here and there that helped me through.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: I'm Back ...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 02:02:30 pm »
Whew--I thought one surgery was dreadful enuff- Good to hear you are back and doing so well.  If you don't mind my asking--what kept you in the hospital for a month following the first one--and why lead your surgeons to choose to do it in 2 stages? Lots of newbies here in the past month.

Best wishes for a swift recovery
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 02:30:52 pm »
Of course I don't mind you asking. The first time around I had a large tumor (3.5cm) that was embedded pretty deeply not only in my facial nerve, but also in my brainstem. Upon removing the tumor from my brainstem and starting in on the facial nerve portion, i had already been in surgery for 8 hours and they didn't like the response they were getting from my facial nerve, so they decided that if they kept going, there would be a good chance of facial paralysis, but if they came back at a later date, the odds of facial paralysis would be signifigantly reduced. I think they said the odds of pralysis dropped from like 25% to 5%, so it seemed like the right thing to do.

Now about 2 months post op from my 2nd surgery, my face is still weak, but they expect most of it to come back within the next two or three months. It's already much better than when I came out of surgery.

Back to your question, I was in the hospital for a month the first time around because after they removed the tumor from my brainstem, my brain swelled quite badly and compressed my brainstem. I was unconscious for two and a half weeks after surgery, had a shunt inserted to help with the swelling, spent 3 weeks in ICU and then hit the rehab floor for about 10 days. You can compare my syptoms to those of a stroke victim. The whole left side of my body was gone. I couldn't walk, stand, or do much of anything.

I wrote a full account of my "story" which I have posted in one of my blogs. If you're interested you can find my blog at www.myspace.com/msuscottie

matti

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 04:24:31 pm »
Scott - absolutely amazing what you have been through. You are my hero!!

Keeping you in my prayers for a speedy recovery and sending you a big hug!

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 07:22:19 pm »
Scott your blog is too funny and I have only read one entry.  You are right about being home and not being able to get out and do anything.  The first two months after surgry I knew the tv line up and took my meds by the channels and what was on  lol  Keep playing poker...my brother just got done playing at the playboy mansion after winning and online tourney. 

Glad things are looking up for you! 

M

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 07:33:44 pm »
Dude!
You are my hero, too!  Wow, what a thing to go through.  Glad you are home and doing well--can't wait to read your blog--
Tell me--do you like boats?
Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 08:58:08 pm »
Not subtle are you Capt Deb?  lol

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 05:32:43 am »
Scotty,

I am SOOOOOOOOO thrilled to see you here! Thank you hun for sharing what you have shared and I have to tell you... you are a genuine hero in my eyes.  The courage and strength you show is a testiment to us all that are battling this issue and the resolve and energy you maintain is overwhleming.  Please know that I admire your strength and courage and thrilled that you are now on the speedy path to wellness.

Be well.... and please keep us posted on your updates. I will be following closely!

You rawk! :)

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 06:26:46 am »
Thanks everyone, this is one of the reasons that I love this forum. You guys/ladies are so supportive wether you're going through the AN thing, dreading the AN thing or have already been through the AN thing. To all of us that have battled the dreaded AN it's the absolute worst time of our lives, but when you get on the road to recovery you start to appreciate things that you never noticed before (life driving for instance). As much as I wish all of us never had to go through any of this, it's nice to know that there are people out there that I can relate with.

So I love boats and I wanna know how I can get to play poker at the playboy mansion.

Poker at the mansion ... you, my friend, are my hero  =)

Thanks again everyone!

Robquinn9

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 07:20:01 am »
msuscottie - thanks for sharing. 

My wife had a 2.8x2.5 AN removed 3/13/06. 

We're Boilermakers but my wife's sister is a junior at MSU majoring in social work.
Wife had 2.8 x 2.5 Rt Side AN removed by Dr. House, Dr. Payner @ St. Vincents in Indy on 3/13/2006.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 07:20:22 am »
On ya Scott. I'll have the choice of surgery or radiation at some point. Not sure if I could go through the surgery again so am leaning to radiation. But its great to hear stories like yours.

Well done mate.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Pembo

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 07:26:41 am »
Hey Scott. I was just thinking about you the other day! I'm glad to hear recovery is going so much better this time around. Stay strong.........
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Battyp

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 08:16:52 am »
Scott he's my son's hero too...he came in 11th out of about 200.  Missed the money table by 1 and was disappointed the tourney wasnt' run very well.  they apparently changed some rules along the way. 

Have you tried party poker?  I'm not sure if that was who he was playing with or another outfit.  I'll send you the link he sent with the pics and stories offline.

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 08:21:41 am »
Oh yes, I've donated my fair share of money to Party Poker. That was a great time killer when I was stuck at home after surgery.

Battyp

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 09:33:41 am »
I only play the free tables...  LOL