Author Topic: Surgery tomorrow, see you as a postie!  (Read 6535 times)

joebloggs

Surgery tomorrow, see you as a postie!
« on: March 10, 2009, 04:19:23 am »
Hi my darlings,

All well here, I had my pre-op appointments today at the hospital.  All went well.  The anaesthetist was lovely, the nurse was super lovely and the registrar surgeon was also super lovely.  I've had a massive bowl of pasta and some garlic pizza so that should light up the morning of whoever is doing the intubation and will also double up to keep the MRSA and golden staph at bay!  I went to get my CT scan in the afternoon and this poor man in the queue completely dropped like a bag of spuds and had a sort of fit on the floor, poor love.  He didn't know what was going on and said he didn't have epilepsy so I can only assume it was related to what's going on in his head.  He didn't have anyone with him either which just made me feel so sad for him (I presume though having a CT he's well on the way to getting treatment), but it also highlighted how very very lucky we all are to have something that is so treatable and in the vast majority of cases won't cause us to collapse on the floor randomly and fit. 

Anyway, tonight I will count my blessings and try to relax even though I've eaten so much food I have to undo the top button of my jeans!! 

Much love to everyone - thank you ALL for your support and encouragement over the last few months, according to the top of the site I've spent almost 2 whole days on here - absolutely not time wasted.  I've gained so much strength from your stories.

Thank you

JB
P.S.  I will see if my friend Aimee will post for me!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Greg M

• Not all who wander are lost...
Re: Surgery tomorrow, see you as a postie!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 05:00:21 am »
Many positive vibrations heading your way. You'll do great! Take care, Greg
diagnosed 1-9-09 1.3cm LF side AN
some tinnitus, high frequency hearing loss
GK 6-17-09 @ GK center of Portland
Dr.Bader & Dr.Wayson
Time will tell......

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 05:50:18 am »
Yes, we ANers are very lucky compared to so many, many others!  I know you will do well tomorrow and as I said earlier, I'm looking forward to seeing some post op paddling photos!  Know you'll be back on the water very soon with your great attitude! 

Well wishes to you,

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Esperanza

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 06:20:39 am »
Good luck for tommorow - hope it all goes well.
Take care
x
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 06:46:51 am »
Good Luck - you will be in my prayers!  I know with your great attitude, you will do fine!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 07:28:39 am »
Best of luck to you Down Under there, JB. 
The first neurosurgeon I visited 8 years ago, Dr. Ojemann at MGH, said, "If you had to have something in your head, this is what you'd want to have."  At the time, I thought, "But I don't want to have anything in my head. Sniff, sniff."  Now I'm at peace with it. 
You are young and beautiful, caring and optimistic, full of that Aussie gusto for life, and with a dose of garlic just in case, you'll do great.  See if you can't beat that ol' Ernie outa that ICU!  I'm gonna try four weeks from today!
Lotsa love and hugs,
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 09:32:10 am »
Best wishes, JB. We need all the knitters and paddleboarders we can get, so come right back, ya hear?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 09:34:01 am »
Best wishes on a quick recovery JB!  All this poitive energy really does work!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

EStacy07

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 09:58:04 am »
Good Luck- You'll be in my prayers. Thank you for having such a positive attitude about your AN. You really have given me strength to be positive about my AN, I have surgery in two weeks. Look forward to seeing your post-op comments!

Liz
1/7/09 Audiology APPT
1/21/09 MRI
2/9/09 Diagnosed w/ 4.5 cm AN
Awaiting Translab on 3/25/09

lori67

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 11:02:36 am »
For a minute there I thought that poor man fell on the floor because of all the garlic you ate!   :o  Glad you hear you weren't responsible!  Hope he's okay.

You will do just fine tomorrow and I know you'll be back to knitting, paddling, eating...whatever you want to do... in no time at all!

Sweet dreams tonight and tomorrow and we'll be waiting for you back here...

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 11:06:49 am »
Good luck tomorrow, JB!  We'll all be here rooting for you to have an uneventful surgery and quick recovery!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 12:28:06 pm »
JB ~

You have my hopes and prayers for a successful, uneventful surgery followed by a rapid recovery.  Being the positive, energetic person you are, you'll very likely be posting yourself within days (if not sooner) but please don't overdo it when you're done with the surgery.  Let your friend Aimee post for you or, if that doesn't work, wait until you're up to it, which shouldn't be very long. 

I like your garlic-as-a-defense-against-germs approach that is as clever as it is probably effective.  :D 

You make an excellent point about our ANs being relatively simple to deal with when compared with the kinds of brain tumors others have to deal with.  During my daily FSR sessions, I saw and met with many cancer patients.  Some were in very dire straits and some were fighting hard with a positive attitude, even though the odds of survival were very much against them.  I quickly began to put my benign tumor in it's proper perspective.  Although a challenge to deal with, I never had to face imminent death from it or a long, drawn-out fight for my survival.  Others misfortunes don't necessary negate the sometime harsh reality AN patients have to face but seeing people with far more debilitating conditions than we have certainly does help one realize that, of all the 'brain tumors' we might be vulnerable to, an acoustic neuroma is probably the least of them, even though it comes with it's own set of challenges. 

Indeed, this is a good time to count your blessings (and try to digest all that food).  :)  Again, my best wishes for a successful and trouble-free surgery, tomorrow. 

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 12:59:22 pm »
Best wishes and prayers for you tomorrow!

Anissa
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 01:18:21 pm »
H JB:  Let me add my good wishes with the rest ! !
Don't worry about the weight,  you'll be losing it in the weeks to come (for me it was a blessing!).
Keep a peaceful heart my friend,

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 03:20:51 pm »
You go girl......enjoy your sleep.  Many hugs and kisses from Canada.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games