Author Topic: Thanks and surgery next week at HEI  (Read 4552 times)

DebraInTexas

Thanks and surgery next week at HEI
« on: November 14, 2008, 11:56:36 pm »
Hi all,

I want to say thank you so very much for all of the support.  Some of you don't even know that you supported me, but through your posts, PM's, emails, and phone calls, you were all the best ever.  I have read probably almost every post and have even written a few myself.  However, I have been so busy with wrapping things up at home and work (3 technology jobs including an online teaching position in a master's program for teachers) that I have not had one free minute of time.  But, I did want to post real quick like and let you know that I appreciate all of the help.  Many of you related great stories about your experience with HEI and specifically the drs that I will be having.  Friedman, Schwartz, and Stephan.  Your messages were very helpful in helping me make the right decisions.  I feel like I am in the best of hands and that I have really experienced, kind and compassionate doctors, and I've never met them face to face even though I feel like I have through your help.  My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday.  My husband and I are leaving tomorrow at 6:30am for LA.  I better hurry up and get to bed if I'm going to have any sleep at all.  But, I couldn't go to bed without telling you thank you so much.  Perhaps I will meet a few of you in Sunny CA while I'm there.

My husband will be posting updates at www.caringbridge.com/visit/debraatchison if you are interested.  When I'm at Seaton, and moving around a little better, I will post here too, to let everyone know what is going on.  I'm planning on doing some little video diary thing to capture the whole experience!  Perhaps that way, I can be helpful to people in the future as you have been to me.  I feel as though I'm ready, or at least know what to expect from all of your help.  Thank you so much and I look forward to seeing you on the other side!

And....here is my new little saying.  I had wanted to get it embroidered on a shirt, but ran out of time.  "God says, it Aint Nuthin'!"  I was going to have the A and N large and have acoustic neuroma written on the letters.  A new definition for those wonderful two little letters!  Anyway....for those of you inclined to pray, I would love and welcome your prayers and for the surgery, recovery and my husband Lance as he patiently waits to hear word from the surgeons and as he so lovingly takes care of me afterwards.

You guys are the greatest, and I refer to you as friends for all the help you have given.

I did go and put my surgery on the calendar....what a great tool that is.

I appreciate you all so much!

DebraInTexas   ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 12:17:55 am by sgerrard »

sgerrard

Re: Thanks and surgery next week at HEI
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 12:23:51 am »
Hi Debra,

It sounds like you are well prepared for your visit to House, and the recovery after. Don't be surprised that you don't feel so great when you first wake up, and plan on getting lots of rest and taking it slow and easy. You will do fine with Lance at your side. I'm pretty sure LADavid will get you mentioned on the weekly round up on Sunday, if he is back on the job by then.

Best wishes,

Steve

PS: I tweaked the web page link a little.
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

DebraInTexas

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 12:28:21 am »
Thanks for the advice....and, thanks for tweaking the Web page link....I edited it a few times and still didn't get it looking quite right.  I sure appreciate it.

Thanks again for the resting advice.  I'm looking forward to feeling good when I wake up, but will remember what you said.

Deb

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 07:33:08 am »
Deb,

I'll be praying for you and oh, about that not feeling well business....

That Mac Truck follows everyone and misses no one when they first wake up from surgery. 

The "gawkers" left behind at the scene will be your loved ones supporting you and the other "gawkers" will be us peeking in occasionally to make sure your RESTING! 

See you "round the bend" and I know all will be well for you as you have chosen the best for you. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

texsooner

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 07:52:55 am »
Good luck fellow Texan....Our prayers are with you. You are well prepared and will do great. See you on the other side.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 09:03:32 am »
Debra~
Hey!  I have been wondering what you decided and when you were having surgery.  I am sorry I haven't called - sounds like we have both been busy...I should've called you anyway!  I love the AN "ain't nothin'" shirt idea!  I will definitely be praying for you & Lance - may you be filled with peace as you go thru this.
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 11:40:35 am »
Good luck Debra, we'll be cheering you on!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

DebraInTexas

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 02:05:08 pm »
Thanks so much everyone for your well wishes and messages.  Yeah, I figured the mac truck had to be lurking close by the surgery room....ugh.  I've been hit by that dude one too many times in the past.  But, hey, we can hope for the best, right?

I look forward to the gawkers....the more the merrier!  I had a dream the other night that I woke up speaking Russian, so I hope my husband is around to translate for the gawkers if that really does happen.  But, I can't imagine I would have a decent sentence to say in Russian, since I can't seem to remember too much of it!  :-)

Thanks again for the support.  You guys are super duper!!!

Deb

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 08:46:43 pm »
Best of luck, Debra; and many thanks to your husband for agreeing to update us.

I know that Mac truck well, it left a few tire tracks on me post op  ;)

See you as a postie,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Roger64

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 01:46:12 pm »
Good luck..  ;D

I'll be saying prayers for you.

Roger

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 01:46:57 pm »
Debra inTexas:

Your doctors and facility are top-notch.  Your confidence in them will be a big help to you and its obvious that you have all the positive attitude a human being is permitted, going into brain surgery.  :)

I hope and will pray that you'll have a successful surgery with no complications, followed by a rapid and smooth recovery that even amazes your doctors.  See you in 'postie-land'!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 09:36:54 am »
Today is your day, Debra - good luck!  You're in excellent hands and you have lots and lots of prayers coming your way.  Looking forward to hearing how it went.

Debbi, sending you prayers from the "Right" coast...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com