Author Topic: Surgery Tomorrow!  (Read 4671 times)

nashvillewife

Surgery Tomorrow!
« on: January 11, 2010, 10:44:16 am »
My husband is scheduled to have translab tomorrow at Vanderbilt with Drs. Haynes/Thompson.  If anyone has any last minute words of wisdom to share as I prepare to navigate this strange new world, I would be grateful! 

I'm a little slow in getting this posted, but have been trying to get work caught up before being out of the office for a few weeks.  Luckily (?), my inlaws are in town to help keep my 9-year old on her regular school and extra-curricular activity schedule. 

Lilan

Re: Surgery Tomorrow!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 10:56:13 am »
My best advice is try not to worry too much the first days/week. So much is going on then that is worrying, but dissipates quickly. Just get through it and know that things will rapidly improve!
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 11:07:27 am »
Good luck you guys!! The only bit of wisdom I can think of is if possible, see if you can stay with him the first night he moves out of ICU.  My wife did and it was definitely helpful.  He definitely won't need a lot of things to do after surgery, like reading and such...so I wouldn't bother take a lot of things with you into the hospital like that.  The only thing I really brought was a comfy pillow, a robe, some pajama bottoms and slippers.  Maybe some lip balm.  Do a search on here for what to bring, this subject has been brought up a lot!  Keep us posted...oh, if you can, tell us what kind of surgery he's having and how big his AN is.  Our prayers are with you all!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 01:00:52 pm »
In-laws or not, you'll be thankful you have them there to help with your daughter.  Keeping her routine normal while your husband goes through surgery and recovery will make things infinitely easier for all of you.  My twins were 10 when I had my surgery and keeping them "on task" with their daily routine was key to their emotional well-being; made them worry less about me.

Last words of wisdom.  Tell your husband to rely on the faith and trust he has in his doctors.  He has no control over this "situation", he should just try to remember that they have done this numerous times before and they will do their best.  He shouldn't second-guess his treatment decision or his choice of doctors; he should find a level of confidence and stick with it.  Recovery takes time - patience is key.  Many days, especially the first ones, will be hard, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel - and it tends to get brighter as time goes on.

As a caregiver you will at times have a harder job than he does - especially tomorrow, when all he has to do is sleep  ;)

Take care of yourself, while you are taking care of him; let your in-laws take care of you when you need a break.  Accept any and all offers of help - and don't be afraid to ask others outright for it.  Most people you know will be more than happy to help you out - generally all you have to do is ask.

Tell your husband we are praying for him - and please update us on his progress when you can.

Best,

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

GRACE1

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 01:10:23 pm »
Best of luck to both of you tomorrow.  Keep us posted.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

lori67

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 01:14:23 pm »
Your husband will be in good hands - Dr. Haynes is awesome!

I"ll be thinking of you both tomorrow and hoping to hear some news.  I believe you still have my phone number and direct e-mail if you need someone to talk to - but I'll PM it to you just in case.  

You have the hard job tomorrow.  I had my actual AN surgery at Baptist but I had something else done at Vandy and they are very good about keeping you informed on the progress in the OR.  Bring a book or something to keep you occupied.

Pack some slippers, chapstick and some sunglasses for the ride home!

Good luck and both of you take a deep breath.....relax......
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

nashvillewife

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 01:43:45 pm »
Thanks everyone who's replied so far!! Some very good advice all around...and I so appreciate the kind words and knowing that others in the AN community will be thinking of us tomorrow.  To answer Jay's question - his AN is 2-2.5 cm and he'll be having the translab procedure. 

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 05:24:48 pm »
Hi, Nashville ~

Welcome!  I offer you my very best wishes (and prayers) for your husband as he undergoes Translab AN surgery on Tuesday.  He's in good hands, I'm certain.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tenai98

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 05:32:54 pm »
Best of luck and a speedy recovery for your hubby.
<jo
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 08:41:17 pm »
My prayers and thoughts will be with the both of you. I brought alot of things for my 5 day hospital stay and didn't use any of it I was only able to get up on the day I was leaving so I was in a hospital gown the whole time and the hospital provided the toiletries so I did not even use my own. Pack lightly so that you do not have to carry it around if it is not needed one less thing for you to worry about also.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Kiwi Don

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 11:00:49 pm »
Hi Nshville,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours for the upcoming surgery, please keep us posted so we can provide support as needed.
All my best wishes and prayers

Kiwi Don
24July09 Diagnoised with Left AN 2.0cm x 1.9cm
Translab Scheduled 7April10

"Received the Ticket, Boarded the Train, and now the Journey has begun??"

Lynn Mc

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 04:16:31 am »
Thoughts & Prayers with all of you.

Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 07:11:04 pm »
Will be sending good thoughts and prayers your way tomorrow.  I still believe that my husband had the hardest job in all of this - I was passed out in the OR with a tube hanging out of my mouth  :) while he was sitting in the waiting room worrying.   

I agree w/PJB - all the stuff I had my hubby bring to the hospital went unused.  I never got out of my hospital gown.  On that note, you may want to make sure your hubby has some sort of very loose fitting pants for the trip home.  My fat graft incision was exactly where the waistband of my pants were so I rode home with my pants unzipped.  Very charming, I'm sure.

Let us know how he's doing, okay?  And, make sure to breath.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com