Author Topic: Joebloggs Update  (Read 37406 times)

joebloggs

Re: Joebloggs Update
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2009, 08:11:02 am »
It's a strange story really... I am Australian, my parents are in Tasmania.  I've been living overseas for 9 years, first in the States and Canada and the last 7 or so years in the UK.  I was diagnosed in the UK and just had my surgery in Melbourne.  Tres confusing!  Lupy is in Melbourne and is having her surgery with the same surgeons as I had!  Edinburgh is lovely, your son is in a good place!  Is he in school there or working there?  I will tell Lupy hi, we're going to have a coffee and I might even have a giant piece of cake... they have these ENORMOUS cakes at the Royal Melbourne Hospital in the cafe... I'll try and take a picture tomorrow!

x
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2009, 09:28:01 am »
Oh, so fun!  Yes, he's in school.  I just posted pics of my kids on the Pictures of Friends thread, not a great one of him, but we were on an enchanting cruise on the sea lochs of South Argyll, converted fishing boat, brilliant!
Good luck tomorrow.
nANcy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

joebloggs

« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2009, 05:16:34 pm »
Nice Kilt!  I once went up to a boy in a bar in Edmonton on St Patrick's day because he had a kilt on and a set of bagpipes and I was strangely attracted to him.  I think it must be my Scottish heritage, I have an inbuilt gene that pulls me towards kilts!  We went on a few dates, it didn't work out once I found out how much younger than me he was.  We're still friends.  Ah the memories!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

joebloggs

« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2009, 08:40:37 pm »
Ha ha ha!  How funny!

Keri

« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2009, 09:39:09 pm »
Oh I was just wondering today if you had any fellow "AN'er" with you there in Australia. I also didn't know Lupy was there. ('hi Lupy'). Enjoy your coffee together; have you met yet? Then when you head back, will you return to the UK (after visiting parents)? small world...
I went to Wales last summer. On our last night (stayed at airport at Heathrow) we took the tube to London and got to spend, oh, all of about 30 minutes there (had to get back on before it was closed). I loved it; hope I can spend more than 30 minutes there next time!

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Chambo

« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2009, 09:42:02 pm »
Hi Stoneaxe... thanks for the tip I would have never thought about ear problems with the cold water.  Defo want to protect the good ear.  I don't think it gets super cold, only about 10-12 degrees C in winter, but defo too cold for boardshorts!

Bummer about the Melbourne link - Yarra would have been delightful!  Maybe when I'm back for my next check-up in a month or so and a bit more balanced!  I've got a plan when I get back to the UK I'll go paddling down the Cam in Cambridge (near where I live) to Granchester where I can have a few quiet beers at a pub there.  I went paddling at St Kilda a couple of days before my op which was ok.. not as fun as Tassie though.. weather was a bit rubbish.

Hi Steve hope the hats coming along well!  My scarf is nearly finished woo hoo!

Better pop an update on things while I'm here... about 3 1/2 weeks post op (Wednesday is 4 weeks), feeling good, eye pretty much back to regular so the steroids worked a treat.  Off to the hospital tomorrow to meet with my ENT surgeon for a post-op follow up.  Hopefully will be good!  I'm meeting fellow forumite Lupy for coffee beforehand so I can show her my fab scar etc before her surgery in a couple of months.  Whoop whoop!  Hope to post some pics after!  Flying home to Tassie on Wednesday, can't wait for that, will be good to catch up with the parents!

JB (nice username!) - awesome recovery my fellow Aussie! Must have been your surgeons ;)

All the best with the move back to Tassie. I'll sometimes travel to Launie for a Hawks game so will definitely keep in touch.

Just checked into the ANA recently - didn't know you were a massive celebrity here! Love your work.

SC
3.5cm+ LS AN fully removed via Translab surgery on 28 June 2006.
Prof Kaye (Neuro)/Mr Briggs (ENT) at Royal Melbourne Hospital (Melbourne, Australia).
1st post surgery MRI (Feb 07) revealed NO regrowth/residual.
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978

joebloggs

« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2009, 03:21:00 am »
Keri: We hadn't met before but she's across the road at Melb. Uni so it's very handy to meet at the hospital!  I will have to return to the UK - have some more things to learn over there and I could hardly accept 6 months paid sick leave and then not return!  That would be tres rude! 

Chambo my old buddy!  Glad you like my username... took me a while to think of that one!  I reckon it must be my surgeons and that's why I rocked the recovery!!  Apparently they do good work... some random Melbourne boy once told me that!  Good old Lonnie eh!  I got stuck in a traffic jam the other day when they were playing... a traffic jam.. in Tassie!  Unheard of practically!  As for my celebrity status... not sure about that!  I did wonder why there were so many photographers outside my house this morning! ha ha... mmm I don't think so!

Update-o-rama: Met up with Lupy this arvo before my appointment with the legend that is Briggsy the ENT surgeon.  Lupy is fabulous, she has a great attitude and I can tell already she's going to absolutely rock her surgery!  Get ready to send some support her way in June!  We exchanged notes about the lumps in our heads and I gave her some hot tips on how rubbish the food is in hospital!  She's good to go!!

Met with Briggsy the legend, has given me the all clear to go back to Tassie, checked out the face and the eye is back to regular, whoop whoop for that and I'm now signed off from him and I don't need to see him again.  Bit of a sadness because he's a lovely man, I wouldn't mind having to see him again, but all is well!

Here's a couple of pics as promised... me and a giant piece of cake (if you're ever at the Royal Melbourne, check out the huge cakes, they're quite obscene) and Lupy and I a couple of happy little vegemites after our rendezvous! 

Cheerio troops!

xx
JB

Lupy

« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2009, 03:50:46 am »
I have to attest THAT CAKE WAS HUGE! Hahahahaha! Perhaps not my best photo ever but I was definately happy! I just have to say how wonderful JoeBloggs looked three weeks out! I am full of renewed hope! Well, you know, as much as one can be facing brain surgery! I can't recommend enough the experience of meeting up with other An'ers when facing surgery - it really is a great support - especially when they are as lovely as JB! Thanks again!
“Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved” S. Kierkegaard

2.5cm Tumour removed 1/7/2009
Retrosigmoid @ The Royal Melbourne
Debilitating headaches/migraines from 2 weeks post surgery till current.

suboo73

« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2009, 04:01:22 am »
Hi JB!  Thanks for the pics, they are great!

So, if i understand correctly, you are returning to the UK. 
Nice that it will soon be Spring there for you!
Please stay in touch, ok?
I hope to get to Europe next summer with my daughters, maybe we can visit if you are still there.

All my best!
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

joebloggs

« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2009, 04:11:49 am »
Thanks Lupy, it was great to meet up with you too!  Nice to go through this whole adventure and be able to help someone on the other side of it... makes it all worthwhile!

Ya will be returning to the UK, I think the tulips, daffodils and bluebells will be popping up soon!  I'll stay in Aus for a couple of months until my balance is sorted and I'm ready to work and then head back... should be summer by then.. woo hoo!  I'll definitely stay in touch, hopefully we can meet up when you're there Sue!

Cheerio

JB

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2009, 05:35:40 am »
JB,
You are an inspiration.  Life on the other side.
nANcy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2009, 07:17:29 am »
JB and Lupy,

The pictures are FABULOUS!

And the cake looks pretty darn good to!  :o

Scarlett
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

cindyj

« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2009, 07:37:24 am »
Great pics, JB and Lupy!  JB, you look fantastic - wouldn't know you'd had surgery!  Lupy, you're so right about being able to meet a post-op ANer prior to having your own surgery.  It was a HUGE help for me meeting Nancy, David and Mathilda in LA.  No better way to give you a boost of confidence going in, and it also helps during those days of recovery...you know you can make it, because you've seen others that did!

Thanks girls...can't think of the Aussie term for girls...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2009, 08:51:38 am »
JB, thanks for posting that pic!  I think it's so important for newbies to see post-operative pictures that show fabulous outcomes!  I remember my first thought when I first came to this forum...it was something like..."OMG - My face is going to look horrible and I'm going to have debilitating headaches for the rest of my life!

Of course, the nice people here in the forum quickly pointed out that those with great outcomes tend to move on with their life, while those with issues not yet resolved continue to need the support the forum offers.

Thanks again for the pic!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Kaybo

« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2009, 08:55:16 am »
Ernie~
I guess I should take my picture down??

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!